Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Field Herping Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Field Herping Forum

Steve .t   Steve .t   Kelso reptiles  
 Member  Message

Steve .t
View Profile

New to fieldherping need help

hello i live in anderson sc i was wondering about field herping ive tryed to find snakes before i never seem to be able to find any also what time of the year is best for finding them ive heard summer is best to find them when they are basking .but can u find them in winter .is sc just a bad place for herping cause it seems like there aint alot of reptiles down here .and does anyone know any good spots around here for herping . im new to this i researched all the snakes down here . ive only really seen them on the road when driveing. any advice is appreciated .

02/02/11  10:39pm

Steve .t
View Profile

Message To: Steve .t   In reference to Message Id: 2202969

by the way i didnt mean like ur specific spots i just meant where can u find them would they be around water ?? or under rocks logs or something im new to herping ive caught snakes before i just dont know how to go somewhere and find them i dont know where they would be

02/02/11  11:01pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Steve .t   In reference to Message Id: 2202973

there found all througout south carolina
near the water you will find mud snakes, watter snakes, and COTTON MOUTHS, AND COPPERHEADS
in woody areas you will find wormsnakes under rocks and logs (always put the rock or lig back the way you found it) also you will find garter snakes and anoles skinks ext
the best time to look is in the spring and early summer but you can also find them in the middle of the summer
just look under rocks, logs , peises of wood, tin, anything you can find
just watch out for the venomous snakes ie water mocisons, copperheads, eastern diamond backs , pigmys, and canebrakes
best of good luck to you

02/24/11  04:50pm

Back to Field Herping Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area