Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Field Herping Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Field Herping Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Shady drizzle   Cphill58   Cphill58   Kelso reptiles   Cphill58   Bone Java   Kelso reptiles   Fairy Frog Mother   Kelso reptiles   Tepoen98   Philosopher  

Member  Message

Shady drizzle
View Profile

California herping?

We are going to California sometime this summer and I plan to go herping while i’m there. I read that you just have to have a hunting or fishing liscence to herp in california but i just wanted to make sure so I wouldn’t get in trouble while i was there.

01/23/11  09:55pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Shady drizzle   In reference to Message Id: 2200607

California herping?

Just a plain fishing license...but you have to be a resident of Calif to get one...or you pay much higher fees.
The California king snakes are protected and you can not catch and keep captive any native king snake to CA.

Same with the desert iguana...if a game warden catches you it could be a serious fine. Nothing wrong with catch and release.

01/24/11  04:08am

Cphill58
View Profile

California herping?

Just a plain fishing license...but you have to be a resident of Calif to get one...or you pay much higher fees.
The California king snakes are protected and you can not catch and keep captive any native king snake to CA.

Same with the desert iguana...if a game warden catches you it could be a serious fine. Nothing wrong with catch and release.

01/24/11  04:09am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2200653

California herping?

you dont have to be a cali resident
the cali kings arnt protected
and neither are the desert iggannas

02/13/11  09:53pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2204806

California herping?

The State of California considers the San Bernardino population (parvirubra) and the San Diego population (pulchra) to be potentially threatened. No California Mountain Kingsnakes can be collected in Orange and San Diego counties, and in Los Angeles County west of Interstate 5.

When slabs are torn off rock outcrops by someone searching for this snake or other reptiles, the habitat this snake uses for refuge is irreparably damaged. It takes thousands of years for this rock fissuring to occur, so this habitat will not be replaced for many centuries. Such rock destruction is illegal in California: "It is unlawful to use any method or means of collecting that involves breaking apart of rocks, granite flakes, logs or other shelters in or under which reptiles may be found." (2007 regulations 5.60.4.)

they don’t make it easy...lol

The license will be 14.00 for a 1-2 day if you are out of state or 114 .00 annually Non RES...you can buy them online in advance.

Yes I was wrong about the desert iguana...they are not protected at this time. I would always double check it first with the USDFG

Cp

02/14/11  04:59am

Bone Java
View Profile

California herping?

Where at in California are you going? Most areas you are unlikely to find any reptiles no matter how hard you look. As far as the fishing license that you need...any hunting, fishing or sporting goods store will have them for sale.

02/20/11  12:30pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2204856

California herping?

i didint mean to seam rude hope you understand

02/23/11  11:17pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2206619

California herping?

Quote:

Most areas you are unlikely to find any reptiles no matter how hard you look.

Ive seen alligator and blue bellied lizards, california Kingsnakes, salamanders of various species... really- unless you are in one of the big cities theres herps galore here! Im in the San Francisco bay area- and the hills around us are FULL of wildlife.

The desert down near where Kelso lives apparently is full of life too.

Ok, you’re not gonna see iguanas downtown San Francisco or Los Angeles...but theres thousands and thousands of areas of wildlife preserves, state parks, and other wildlife sanctuarys.
And yeah, out of state fees suck.

02/24/11  12:05pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2206687

California herping?

actually people have found igguannas in san fran they aren freqent like in beleze or florida but they have goten out and peopl have found a few but i dont think that they are breeding

02/24/11  04:32pm

Tepoen98
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2206739

California herping?

No reptiles in california? I live in northern california and I find 15 fence lizards a day and sometimes allies and snakes. Its full of herps. And Im lucky I dont need a fishing license yet :]

05/31/12  12:00am

Philosopher
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2200652

California herping?

you can keep a California king if you can prove it was born captive. I actually own an aberrant pattern cal. king one stripe down the back broken in two places.

10/13/15  06:43pm

Back to Field Herping Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area