Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Field Herping Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Field Herping Forum

JackAsp   Dericka   JackAsp   JackAsp   JEFF QUARLES   Joshsnakeman   JackAsp   Geckohappy   JackAsp   Dalime   Cphill58   Dalime   Dalime   Pacmanfrogking   Dalime   Dalime   Cphill58   Rokdog   Dalime   Rokdog   Dalime   Rokdog   Dalime   JackAsp   Cphill58   Fairy Frog Mother   Dalime   Rokdog   Dalime   Rokdog  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

JackAsp
View Profile

Just playing with my camera

Took a walk through the Cleveland Metroparks today. I wasn’t really actively searching for stuff, but I brought a camera along with me just in case, and actually got a few decent pictures.
This was the first frog that I encountered at all.

Just happened to be a good photographic subject.

Most were not so cooperative. The leopards and greens usually were plopping into the water as soon as I saw them if not sooner. The bulls were generally quite stationary, but too far out to get good shots of.

Even the toads were moving pretty fast. And downhill. I had to sort of lean over a log, hold my arms down so the camera pointed in the approximate direction, and take as many pictures as I could (blind, because the camera was an arms length from my face, at almost 90 degrees, with obstructions) just to get something useable.

Then I still had to blow up and crop the image a lot. Nice coloration though, and bonus points for speed and friskiness.

This shot required leaning through some extremely deep and horrid muck.

The frog must have known it, hence the holding still and making me feel obligated to do so.

And this painted turtle?

I was so proud of myself for getting about three feet from a turtle and taking a few camera shots, then he ruined it by paddling right up to me and letting me pet him, presumably expecting to be fed. Ohio has been cracking down hard lately on ownership of native herps, so my guess is he was somebody’s pet and they let him go recently.

Since he was near a fairly high-traffic path I figured if he kept THAT attitude up he’d be in some kid’s air-conditioned ten gallon tank eating goldfish before the week was over, so I took him out, thinking about a relocation, at which point he became somewhat agitated and started kicking around. I figured that might be enough to remind him that "Swamp good, human bad" so I annoyed him for a few minutes and then let him back into the water, where he immediately headed away from civilization.

It was a good day for humorously stupid animals, apparently. I almost got a picture of a pair of extemely fat woodchucks that came frolicking down the valley cliff and wound up almost on top of my shoes, but one got spooked and went back into the road so I had to wave a truck to a slowdown, go into the road, and chase him or her back out to where the other one was, after which they charged into a tall grassy field because they’d finally figured out that I was right next to them.

There were also a lot of ducks with their plumage at its most colorful (but not anyplace near shore with good lighting,) loud rambunctious geese splashing all the water out of the river (who were never still long enough to try to get a good shot of,) and of course squirrels and chipmunks everywhere.

Honestly, I was surprised to find that chipmunks are harder to get a picture of than frogs. They absolutely always seem to be in a perfect nature callendar type pose, but by the time the camera is out they are GONE. Do they do that on purpose? Nothing could possibly be that photogenic by accident, nor that constantly visible right up until the second the camera lens is adjusted properly.

No snakes, simply because if I’d spent as much time tiptoeing slowly through every grassy field I passed as I did checking out all the swampy riverbanks I never would have gotten where I was going. Everything I would expect to casually encounter was out, so I assume the valley’s stealthier residents are doing fine down there as well.

In any case, it was a fun challenge. I quickly fell into the attitude that any time I could even get close enough to an animal to get a shot of it that was a victory, and if any of the pictures were actually decent so much the better.

05/10/07  02:40am

Dericka
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1276438

Hi! I live in souhern ohio, and I was just wondering what exactly you’ve heard about Ohio getting sticter about native herp owning and selling? I kniow this is definatley needed, I’ve worked in a pet store for five years now,we don’t sell any thing native to this area, but if we did, there would be a whole lot of monitoring and paper work involved. However, there are two flea markets in this area that have always sold tiny, and illegally, red eared sliders and painted turtles by the dozens. (And then people come in to the store get their $6 cutie some food, only to discover that no, it cannot live in a small plastic container with no light or heat like they were assured, and NO! it will not stay this small, so then they "set it free" into the convinient miami river). It has only been in the last month or two that I’ve been hearing that they aren’t selling them anymore, so I was hoping that some authority finally put an end to it, but that is the only thing I had noticed, I hadn’t read or heard about anything official???
Also, I know they aren’t native to ohio, but it sure would be nice if carnivals and fairs would stop giving out baby iguanas as prizes!
~Deri

05/11/07  12:34pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Dericka   In reference to Message Id: 1277884

It’s been official for years, but apparently they just started really enforcing it recently. I spoke to a breeder at a show last Sunday who is on five years probation because she was selling albino black rats. Seems even captive-bred animals (Ohio is the only state with a law like this that isn’t even morph-exempt) need papers proving that they come exclusively from out-of-state stock. The part about not even being morph exempt is pretty insane, although I certainly don’t miss seeing all those ten gallon tanks piled up with ribbon snakes. Pet stores that want to be that sleazy will just continue the same way, abusing imports instead of locals, though, that’s all.

I didn’t actually WANT to keep any of the frogs I was looking at as pets, because they’re used to rivers and swamps, not tanks. But it just seems strange to realize that I can’t even have their CB equivalents. How is it worse to own a CB Northern Leopard Frog than a CB Southern that’s had to travel farther? Assuming you can even prove to their satisfaction that it’s a different type. Hell I can buy something wild-caught, from another state, if I want to, so it’s really just a local conservation thing, not an animal cruelty thing. As the former, it succeeds. As the latter, it fails. The same kids who are going to shovel every wild-caught animal they can catch into their bedroom is it’s legal are just going to load up on wild-caught anoles and green treefrogs anyways now.

And what are you supposed to actually DO with all the animals that were in captivity years before the law took effect, anyway? It’s illegal to keep them, and it’s illegal (and questionable from a survival standpoint, especially with older animals) to release them, so what do you do? Hand them over to the authorities? Have you SEEN those dingy little tanks most state-approved nature centers have?

As the market shifts, the problem may sort itself out. But right now it’s got some sad side effects. That was big, healthy painted turtle, whose owner obviously knew what they were doing. My guess is it used to have some very nice outdoor facilities, which is why they were unable to keep it secret and had to set it much freer than it apparently felt the need to be.

05/11/07  02:34pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1277983

The iguana prize thing will stop as soon as one of them lives long enough to maul an extremely litigation-minded adult’s child. I’m kind of surprised pet store chains haven’t gotten wary for that same reason. I suppose parents are hesitant to show a judge what kind of scratches an iguana inflicts because they’re afraid the court might rule it to be child endangerment. Which it is. Iguana-hatchling endangerment in particular. Who cares about the huiman child? Those are annoying.

05/11/07  02:44pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Nice pics, Hey I have a good friend from the navy that lives in north olmstead . Heard of it?

05/12/07  11:39am

Joshsnakeman
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 1278977

Good job. I just got back from cleveland today from a band trip. Didn’t see (or look) for any herps though.

05/12/07  10:41pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Joshsnakeman   In reference to Message Id: 1279572

Yeah, North Olmsted is just a couple miles to the west of where I live.

05/13/07  02:34am

Geckohappy
View Profile

Nice series, and I love the description of the animals behavior! New Jersey has similar laws, but they don’t go after individuals very often. I should have a permit for every leopard gecko I own, but they are rescues and don’t come with such things. You can’t aquire a permit after the fact, you must get it from the store when it’s purchsed (a temp one) then buy a yearly one from the state. Not an easy process, though not terribly expensive - ten or twenty bucks, I think.

Now I know why there are suddenly a bunch of red-eared sliders being given away in the Pennsylvania caragslist pages... They are all coming in from Ohio!

05/14/07  07:34pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Geckohappy   In reference to Message Id: 1281500

Red-eared sliders aren’t even native to Ohio! They were established back in the days of baby dime store turtles, but they’re still protected by law here now. Fortunately, they haven’t actually made a pest of themselves. The main species they’re in competition with is the painted turtle, and when it comes to surviving a nothern Ohio winter (or even our long chilly springtimes) they will NEVER be able to give the painted turtle a run for its money.

05/14/07  09:06pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1281619

>=/ good shots, but your being kind of rude. Just because we’re younger than you oafs doesn’t mean we don’t know how to take care of animals. "some kid�s air-conditioned ten gallon tank eating goldfish". I mean really? I have a crested gecko and its got to be the most spoiled gecko there is. AND I FU&*ING KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF IT!!! I’M A KID!

01/20/11  07:56pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2199859

damn it Jack .....how many times have I told you to be more respectful of those foul mouthed little reptile attitudinal young SoB’s

Will we ever stop pissin in the cheerios???

Cp

01/24/11  04:19am

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2200655

Shut up cp. The kid was right. That wasn’t exactly what you would call "nice"

02/14/11  04:54pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2204937

Oh my god my brother hacked into my account >= o
I’m gonna freaking kill him!!!

02/14/11  04:56pm

Pacmanfrogking
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2204938

I agree with dalime (and his brother I guess? A question, why are you gonna kill him if he was helping your cause) Don’t wanna get anything stirred up, but I guess now that I read it over it could be offensive to kids. They are people too. Put your self in his (or her) shoes for a moment, and think.

02/14/11  05:03pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Pacmanfrogking   In reference to Message Id: 2204941

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! HYPOCRITE ALERT! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL I’m sorry but I’m sorry for being a reptile freak while on a reptile forum. If you don’t show any interest in reptiles, why on earth would you sign up for a reptile forum Cp?

02/15/11  08:21pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2205190

Dang. Didn’t mean to hit the post button; wasn’t finished writing. Well I didn’t mean to have some snooper post in what isn’t any of his business. I don’t remember saying I was talking to you Cp?

Anyways, I wrote like that because I was angry. Don’t act like you haven’t ever been angry. NOBODY SHOULD ACT LIKE THEY HAVEN’T EVER BEEN ANGRY!!! You’ve all done things that you aren’t proud of when you’re angry. How is this any different? I’m sorry for acting like I have rights too. I still think it was a little obnoxious.

02/15/11  08:27pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2205191

Hey I was teasing Jack...no offense...let’s all take a deep breath...lol
I have read Jack’s writings many times ...he has a certain twist the way he writes and I find it humorous.
I thought it was funny so I tried to follow suit....better luck next time.
(never was a good comedian)

Cp

02/16/11  11:32am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2205191

Dalime, are you off your meds again?

02/16/11  06:59pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2205331

Are you on crack again?

02/17/11  03:57pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2205470

your pissing and moaning about a 4 year old thread..........
c’mon man !!!!!

02/17/11  04:29pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2205478

And I also have enough of a life that I don’t have time to check the dates.

02/17/11  08:51pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2205529

or just to dumb......

02/18/11  09:52am

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2205585

Well at least I’m smart enough to know that you used "to" in an improper place. The correct spelling would have been "too", genius.

02/18/11  09:21pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2205679

The frogs are getting jealous now, because the turtle got to start a four-year-long flame war and they didn’t.
Well,for their sake, I’ll give it a try.
Absolutely ALL children are horrible little fiends who do nothing all day except pull the wings off of frogs! Which is why you never see a frog with wings any more.

02/23/11  05:54pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2206544

spitting coffee.....lol

02/24/11  04:17am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2206648

*Laughs a lot*

Dalime. Sweetie. Breathe.

CP and Jack ASP are HILARIOUS, and have probably rescued more animals than you’ve had the chance to see yet in your lifetime hon. Dont forget they both probably WERE once a kid like you who loved herps every bit as much as you. (I dont know though. Jack Asp might have been hatched. Pretty sure he is wild caught not captive bred though.)

Plus no matter how upset and how many capitol letters you use, they are gonna joke around more...pretty much proving their point that you’re not paying attention to the fact they are jokin about to get a rise out of you. Use your thinker. Don’t let the old men with sticks get ya down kiddo. You can respectfully poke fun back. Thats cool. If you are mad...step away from the computer. Come back later and re-read and see if you can’t find the humor in it.

Great photos Jack, even if this is an old post. And CP...you had me nearly snort my Aranciata over my screen! Hilarious!

02/24/11  12:27pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2206691

OK, but I do want to know why CP and Rokdog got involved if I wasn’t even talking to them?

02/24/11  04:05pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2206734

I jumped in because you went bi-polar lashing out at everyone
and then blaming your loss of control on your brother for
hacking into your account.

That’s why,
if your gonna lose your composure at least
don’t turn into a liar also....
and then flame your OWN BROTHER....C’mon dude