Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gunzgopewpew   Pineapple   Gunzgopewpew   Gunzgopewpew  

Member  Message

Gunzgopewpew
View Profile

Female doing push-ups?

Are there any circumstances that a female fence lizard would do push ups? I have 2 WC fence lizards, both about a month in age. We checked their scales with a macro lens and saw a difference in scale size, so we assumed they were a boy and a girl. They seem comfortable with each other. They often lick one another, like to be close to one another, and haven’t had any conflicts whatsoever. After a few weeks of obtaining my female, she started doing push-ups every now any then, including in front of my male, and directly on him. He doesn’t seem to mind. She’s getting more comfortable doing them as the days pass, and he’s been doing them since we got him, but again, there has been zero conflicts so far. They seem closer than ever.

08/27/17  01:49pm

Pineapple
View Profile

Message To: Gunzgopewpew   In reference to Message Id: 2321140

Female doing push-ups?

If they’re that young, is it possible it could be a male? I hadn’t heard of the scale size difference but that’s fascinating if so. I assumed you had to wait til sexual colors came in. It also seems odd that they’re doing pushups that young, but again, I have little experience with babies and kind of assumed they wouldn’t do it til they’re at sexual maturity (so about a year old). In any case, even if it is a female, I wouldn’t be too surprised at a "male" territorial display. Females also have territories in the wild and while it’s not in the literature I could find (with a quick search, not in-depth) that they do pushups regularly, I wouldn’t say it’s out of the question. I would keep a close eye on them anyway, though--babies may get along fine but most adults don’t.

08/27/17  07:59pm

Gunzgopewpew
View Profile

Message To: Pineapple   In reference to Message Id: 2321146

Female doing push-ups?

It could be a male, but if so, then they are confusing lol. The supposed to be a girl started doing push-ups around the 3rd week of having her and has started doing it more often since starting. She has done them in front of him, even on him. He still does his push-ups too. Males are supposed to have post anal scales, and females don’t. We took macro picture of their butts to check their sex when we got them, and she didn’t have them, and he did. Even last night they were crawling on each other and she was doing push-ups on him, and licked him. So it’s just weird and I’m not sure. I also assumed babies didn’t do push ups, but both do and are about a month in age. The male did them even before we put the female in. He’s done push ups literally everywhere in the terrarium, so I would be surprised if she wanted some territory or something. I’m keeping a close watch, but even when I thought they might fight or something, then end up licking each other and just being close to each other: https://imgur.com/gallery/Enojr

08/28/17  06:15am

Gunzgopewpew
View Profile

Message To: Gunzgopewpew   In reference to Message Id: 2321149

Female doing push-ups?

I have a few pictures and videos of her and him doing push-ups today. No aggression yet, but I’m watching them. Might be a male, but still unsure.

08/28/17  02:35pm

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area