Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Juanspyro   Gunzgopewpew   Pineapple  

Member  Message

Juanspyro
View Profile

Baby Fence Diet Help

So I found a baby fence lizard in my house sitting and chillin, and while I’m pretty sure it would fair a bit better out in the wild than with me - I really want to learn how to care for one. I feel like I have a pretty good set up going on: 20 gallon tank, water bowl, uvb light fixture, Eco Earth dirt, etc, etc.

The only thing I’m really lacking is the diet. I know you’re supposed to feed them crickets, but the lizard is so small the only thing I can think of that could possibly fit in it’s tiny skull are ants. But I read everywhere that you can, but you can’t, but you can. So at the moment it’s sitting in it’s tank next to dry dead flies in a bottle that I picked up from Petco and I just want some good answers on how I should feed this baby Fence lizard. I really appreciate the help.

08/06/17  12:25am

Gunzgopewpew
View Profile

Message To: Juanspyro   In reference to Message Id: 2320995

Baby Fence Diet Help

I have a baby fence lizard a well, so I’ll just tell you what I’ve read and what I’ve personally been feeding mine. They can eat pinhead crickets, but they are usually hard to find unless you order them online, but then the shipping and handling really makes it not worth it. What I’ve been feeding mine is fruit flies from Petco, and small crickets. I ask the cashier for the smallest crickets they can get. Depending on the day, he eats between 2-5 crickets a day, and I feed him fruit flies if he isn’t having it with the crickets. I’d avoid feeding him anything caught in the wild, as they can carry parasites and stuff, but I’ve read wild spiders are usually okay to feed them. I hope this helps!

08/07/17  07:39am

Pineapple
View Profile

Message To: Juanspyro   In reference to Message Id: 2320995

Baby Fence Diet Help

I agree with the above--dusted fruit flies (preferably wingless/flightless) are easiest, but pinhead crickets can also be ordered online, but you can’t get less than 250 of them usually (maybe down to 100 but still a lot of crickets). If he’s big enough to eat regular ol’ "small" crickets, go for it! They should be roughly the size of the space between his eyes. Crickets should be gut-loaded if possible. Just leave a carrot or potato piece in the cage so the crickets have something to nibble that’s not the lizard’s toes or tail if they don’t get eaten right away.

08/27/17  07:39pm

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area