Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Aprul   Aprul   Aprul   Takahiro111   Jinete   Hiwaydog   Reptile freako   Lizard care#1  

Member  Message

Aprul
View Profile

Opinons needed

So I have 2 fence lizards house together in a 15 gallon tall tank. They have a soil/sand mixed substrate which they love to dig in. Lots of rocks which they sleep on and a large branch that they bask on. I have 2 lights, a heat light and a UV light (desert exposure) that are on 12 hour timers. Underneath the tank is a heat pad that is on all day long and recently (its winter here and the room get very cold even with a heater in the room) they have a heat rock which is on a timer too. For the most part they ignore the heat rock, but its an option for them should they get cold. Mostly they just bury themselves in the warm sand. The female buries herself every night while the male sleeps in the same spot on top of the tallest rock. They have a prompt bedtime about an hour before their light goes off, but they’ve been up and about before the light comes back on (I did adjust the time the light comes on and goes off to keep them from getting too cold at night.) I feed them crickets about once every other day, 2 day tops. I dust mealworms about once a week and feed them to the Lizzie’s as well. They have a tank mate which is a little brown skink, but he spends most of his day buried somewhere, so we only seen him when he’s scuttling from one hiding spot to another.

I want opinions on what to do better. I caught these guys about a year ago and I love them dearly. The female even let’s me hold her on occasion. I’ll post pictures of the tank for reference. CONSTRUXTIVE CRITISISM IS WELCOME!!!

10/30/14  11:40am

Aprul
View Profile

Message To: Aprul   In reference to Message Id: 2310583

Opinons needed

Their cage

The heat rock and pool

Mr. Skink!

Where miss thang sleeps most nights

Mr. Man sleeps there every night

Their set up is nice, but when I move I’ll be putting these guys into a larger 55 gallon tank. I plan on putting a water feature, a large topper on it so they can climb (they spend a lot of their time hanging upside down during the day) and more rocks and stuff. I’ll also be changing they type of substrate out for more soil and bark or a mulch like substrate.

10/30/14  12:14pm

Aprul
View Profile

Message To: Aprul   In reference to Message Id: 2310584

Opinons needed

Since the links don’t seem to want to work, I’ll see if a link yo the whole album works instead.

Link

10/30/14  12:17pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Aprul   In reference to Message Id: 2310583

Opinons needed

Okay Aprul I am not like other people so I won’t critize you ok I rather help you instead and that’s what I’m gonna do so get rid of that heat rock before you kill them and get 2 basking spots so they won’t fight over that one.

10/30/14  01:36pm

Jinete
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310589

Opinions needed

The pics don’t seem to work. I agree with T. I would ditch the heat rock. My concern with 2 basking spots is that in a 15 gallon enclosure you will probably not leave a cooler side/area. Wish we could see the pictures that might help make other recommendations. I have heard that mixing species in small enclosures may result in problems down the line. Fighting, eating each other, spreading diseases, and causing stress are possible concerns. Let us know if we can help out with anything else.

10/31/14  07:17pm

Hiwaydog
View Profile

Message To: Jinete   In reference to Message Id: 2310601

Opinions needed

i would get rid of the under-tank heat pad, as these lizards will burrow in if they get cold, and it doesnt hurt them to get a little cool at night.

as far as the basking goes, i wouldnt try to create two basking areas in one 15 gal tank, as previously stated it would make it difficult to create the needed cool area, and it’s not like lizards are gonna say: "this one’s yours, that one’s mine". just make sure the basking area is large enough to support them both. these types of lizards are gregarious enough to share a single spot (assuming it’s not two adult males).

it’s my own opinion that keeping them too warm 24/7 is not good for them, as this is not what they would encounter in nature.

just make sure they have enough substrate to burrow into if they get cold;

12/10/14  11:46pm

Reptile freako
View Profile

Message To: Hiwaydog   In reference to Message Id: 2311285

Opinions needed

Don’t use sand

12/30/14  09:50am

Lizard care#1
View Profile

Message To: Aprul   In reference to Message Id: 2310584

Opinons needed

i usualy have good advice concidering i have two of my own well any way the heating rock will kill them and only one of the heating pads will do they are friendly and dont mind sharing with thiere companion infact mine sharea small hiding log together where they sleep and they will mate but if they do in captivity be care ful not to touch the mom because it can effet the eggs and they could be up either becausethe tempature or because they could be mateing

08/08/15  10:01pm

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area