Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kbaucom   Takahiro111   Takahiro111   Jinete   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Kbaucom
View Profile

Eastern Fence Lizrds

I have 4 baby eastern fence lizards that were caught outside on my property and 1 of them seems to have seizures quite frequently..what can I do about this to help him or save him? How often do they need to eat? I feed them termites, is that ok? They are in a 55 gal tank with 3 anole lizards with alot of tree limbs for them to climb on and 1 live plant. I also have a heated rock inside and sand covering the bottom. I have a UVB daytime and nighttime light from zoo med. I don’t know the gender yet because htye seem to small to tell and i’m not sure of their age either. 2 of them are 3 1/2" long, 1 is 2 1/2" long and the smallest one is about 2" long. The one that has the siezures is 3 1/2" long. Do i have them in a good environment and is it ok to have the anole lizards in with them. They all seem to like each other and get along good. How old do you think they all are? Please help so I know that i’m taking care of them properly because I don’t want to do anything to kill them.

10/14/14  12:55pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kbaucom   In reference to Message Id: 2310325

Eastern Fence Lizrds

Your taking a big risk...
*don’t mix species together that aren’t the same size,class
*the seizure one needs to see a vet
*wild caught have a gut load of parasites that may affect the anoles
*I never heard of feeding termites to lizards so I don’t recommend it
*heat rocks are a big NO they are known to kill reptiles get a basking bulb
*55gal is good but only if your seperating them from the anoles

I would say let them go because you’ll stress them and their gonna die....you sound like a person that’s dedicated to these animals but what I would do personally is only keep the seziure one to see a vet and releas him but you don’t have to. If you want some EFLs then I would say buy some that way you don’t hve to worry about any sick ones.

10/14/14  02:01pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kbaucom   In reference to Message Id: 2310325

Eastern Fence Lizrds

Oh and don’t read this as if I’m being mean...just trynna help lol :)

10/14/14  02:02pm

Jinete
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310327

Eastern Fence Lizrds

I would agree with Takahiro to some degree. I definitely wouldn’t mix the fence lizards with the anole. I would ditch the heat rock. You mentioned a live plant? Branches? Any time you bring something in from outdoors you must make sure that you have killed any bacteria, microorganisms, etc via boiling, baking, etc. The baby efl’s need pin head crickets to eat.

A big question to ask yourself is why do you want fence lizards? How long are you willing to care for them? What are you willing to spend for their care? I have a fence lizard that is over 3 years old. That requires buying food each week, regularly buying new substrate and cleaning the substrate. Replacing uvb lights every 5-6 months (not cheap). And proper housing for your efl’s.

Something to consider is that even if you house all of your efl’s in 1 cage at this point. When they become adults you will need to separate them, especially if there are multiple males.

Minimum requirement for your efl’s would be (1) basking light, (1) uvb light that needs to be changed out every 5-6 months, proper substrate, various hides and climbing things (all baked or boiled), water dish, and crickets to eat. I don’t think I left anything out.

Good luck with everything and let us know if we can help out.

10/16/14  09:15pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Jinete   In reference to Message Id: 2310363

Eastern Fence Lizrds

Thanks for adding info I lefted out jinete :)....bulbs are not cheap lol for all my reptiles I spend $170 on uvb bulbs and $200 on basking bulbs substrate can only be expensive if you have large reptiles and large collections mainly but fence lizards are small so it shouldn’t be hard to care for compared to my water monitor if you know what your doing.

10/16/14  10:55pm

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area