Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Adimio   ReptileGOD   LizardLoverGirls   ReptileGOD   LizardLoverGirls   ReptileGOD   LizardLoverGirls   Emhomes   Reptile Observer  

Member  Message

Adimio
View Profile

Is there anything else I need to do?

Hey! New here and have been browsing quite a bit these past couple weeks after I caught a wild fence lizard at work. I did tons of research before I actually decided to bring it home rather than catch and release like normal.

Turns out my little lizard is a female and was pregnant! At first I just used the tank I had from previous lizards or snakes, a small 10g, and used the calcium sand as the substrate. Since my new lizard is about 6" long without tail and about 3 inches wide/tall... I knew that 10g was way too small but this was only the temporary tank.

I eventually bought a 30g and switched to eco earth with coconut fiber substrate. She likes this substrate much much more as she was digging and running around more often than before. I also added a small spikeless cactus-ish plant for a little color and to keep a bit of humidity.

About 2 weeks later, 6/24/14, she decided to kick all of the dirt into the corner and proceed to lose about an inch or more in width and height... at first I saw it and just thought wow what a crazy lizard... then I looked and saw that she looked much much smaller. She laid her eggs!

So once again more research went into preparing an incubator for the newly laid fence eggs. SHE LAID 27 OF THEM!!!

Can’t afford to do the fancy incubator so I am just using damp vermiculite with finger sized holes pressed into it, in a small tuperware bowl with a few very small holes poked into the lid for ventilation but not enough to dry out the eggs hopefully, along with the calcium sand from the previous tank under/around the bowl to also hopefully help with insulation, and finally a 13w heat lamp 8 inches from the bowl lid to keep it around 80-82 degrees.

Will post pictures if interested... any tips or help is greatly appreciated as I am really enjoying caring for this lizard so far even though I’ve spent way more than I expected to keep her safe and comfortable.

ps. she eats gut loaded crickets and superworms... is a water bowl needed or veggies needed? She hasn’t been very interested in either of them so far.

06/26/14  09:50pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: Adimio   In reference to Message Id: 2306307

You are doing great

06/26/14  09:57pm

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306308

Yes a small bowl/dish of water should be in there swim/drink type thing

07/01/14  07:28pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: LizardLoverGirls   In reference to Message Id: 2306520

And must frequently

07/01/14  07:33pm

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306526

Mist

07/01/14  07:35pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: LizardLoverGirls   In reference to Message Id: 2306527

Thanks

07/01/14  07:47pm

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306533

No problem

07/02/14  07:40am

Emhomes
View Profile

Message To: Adimio   In reference to Message Id: 2306307

Would love to hear how it goes with the eggs (how many hatch and make it).

09/01/14  09:44am

Reptile Observer
View Profile

Message To: Emhomes   In reference to Message Id: 2309225

Well so for so good

09/02/14  05:17pm

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area