Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kelso reptiles   Kelso reptiles   ReptileGOD   Kelso reptiles   ReptileGOD   Kelso reptiles   ReptileGOD   Kelso reptiles   ReptileGOD   Kelso reptiles   Kelso reptiles   ReptileGOD   Kelso reptiles   ReptileGOD   Kelso reptiles   Kelso reptiles   Kelso reptiles   ReptileGOD   Kelso reptiles   ReptileGOD   Kelso reptiles   ReptileGOD   LizardLoverGirls   ReptileGOD   LizardLoverGirls   ReptileGOD   LizardLoverGirls   FightinTxAggie98   ReptileGOD   Kelso reptiles  
Pages 1 2 Next

Member  Message

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

For reptileGOD and lizardlovergirls

his will tell you everything you need to know of fence lizards

Species:
Fence lizard
Other Species or Phases this Care Sheet May Cover:
eastern fence lizard, western fence lizards

Sexing and Characteristics:
Males: usually males will have a dark bluish or green color on either side of the underside of their bellies and another bluish blotch on the chin that may be divided in half. also, they will have a thickened tail base and on the underside of that there will be two small bumps, or bulges, right above the anal area. males are usually slightly smaller than females, but more aggressive and territorial.

females: females may have the blue coloring on either side of their bellies but it will be faded and not as noticeable as in males. females do not have the blue blotch on the chin that is described above. females are more robust and and slightly larger than males. on the underside of the base of the tail you will see either one small bump or no bumps at all.

Mostly Active During:
Day

Substrate and Water Needs:
For substrate you can safely use potting soil mixed with sifted play sand as long as you change it every 4-6 months. you can also use newspaper or paper towels if you want to change it every day. repti carpet is ok too, except for the fact that they can get their claws stuck in the loose threads that stick up, so be aware of that.

Humidity: mist plants and the side of the tank in the morning so they can lap up the droplets like they do in the wild. mist once in the evening as well. misting also keeps the humidity level up. you also should have a water bowl that is full of clean water and is easily accessed. clean the water bowl every day with soap and water, and dry it completely before replacing it back in the cage

Lighting and UVB:
Your lizard(s) should always have access to a UVB light source. never put your lizards cage next to a window so you can use the sun as your UVB source (this will cook the lizard). you should BUY a light from a petstore or department store, and i suggest it to be a long tube fluorescent light, that will run the length of the cage.

Temperatures and Humidity:
Humidity i covered above, but now to temperatures: 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit on the cool side, 85 in the middle ( if you have a large cage, and can control the middle) and then 90-95 in the basking area.

Heating and Equipment:
There should be any kind of heat light or spotlight that can get the temperature to the right spot but no ceramic heaters or dark bulbs are needed. NO heat rocks! fence lizards cannot sense heat on their bellies and they will get burned. you don’t need any heat pads either, they have the same effect as heat rocks.

Caging Provided:
I use an all glass terrarium for mine. 1 lizard can be fine in a 10-gallon, 2-3 in a 20-gallon, and 3-4 in a 30 gallon. for cage decorations you can put some rocks in for them to bask and climb on. also some sticks, logs, or driftwood to run around and climb on . they favor dead logs and in the wild are never far from a tree, since that is their main way of escape. i would put leaves and twigs on the bottom so that they can hide under them if they feel scared or threatened. also a hide should be provided in both the cool end and the hot end.

Diet:
Carnivorous
Description of Diet:
They will attack and eat almost anything that moves and will fit in their mouths. a good diet consists of gutloaded crickets no bigger than the space between their eyes, small mealworms (only occasionally, since a mealworms exoskeleton is full of chitin and hard to digest), non-poisonous spiders, grasshoppers, and beetles (beetles seem to be favorite) you should feed 4-5 insects a day for young lizards and 3-4 three times a week for adults.

Supplements, Nutrition and Usage:
I dust insects with a calcium and vitamin D-3 supplement once a week. a dusting supplement like this can be bought at any local petstore near you.

Maintenance:
The cage should be cleaned every two weeks with bleach and water til its spotless. cage accessories need to be washed thoroughly and sometimes need to be soaked in bleach.
Some Words on this Species:
although hard to catch, fence lizards are some of the best lizard species i have kept. they are great for beginners, or even experts, are easy to feed, house, and breed, although they aren’t bred in captivity very much. i would definitely recommend this lizard to anyone.

06/26/14  04:38pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306226

and to help get rid of diseases and parasites, when you get sand or dirt, and logs and sticks from outside, wrapp them in tin foil and put them in the oven (yes the oven) at 200 degrees for 30 minuets this will kill all parasites and diseases ... then you can let them cool off and then place them in the cage

06/26/14  04:40pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306228

Sand and dirt are bad

06/26/14  04:41pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306231

no their not, sand and dirt is what the fence lizards live in the wild on. you can put sand on the bottom of the tank, then sprinkle some dried leafs on top and it will be perfect. fence lizards will burry themselfs in the sand at night.
but you have to sift it with screen

06/26/14  04:45pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306236

Yes it is it could cause an impaction cause of the small crystals when they bite there food

06/26/14  04:50pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306240

thats why i said, you have to screen it, with mesh wire, like whats around windows with very small holes....
only small rock cause impaction, the lizards live in sand in the wild, they dont die in the wild from impaction

06/26/14  04:52pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306242

Whatever

06/26/14  04:56pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306244

your just mad cuase you know im right ... its ok dont get mad little kid ... you gonna cry awwww

06/26/14  05:07pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306249

Ask more questions I will get them right

06/26/14  05:10pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306251

you only got one right on the last time... i already know you dont know about reptiles, only what you think you know, but its wrong go read some books

06/26/14  05:12pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306253

how about you ask me a question.... ask me anything,,,, the hardest question that you know that you dont think i know

06/26/14  05:13pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306254

What is the biggest dinosaur

06/26/14  05:14pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306256

dinosaurs dont have to do with lizards, in fact most dinosaurs are related to birds and chickens,
but the largest dinosaur is the Argentinosaurus a type of sauropod

06/26/14  05:18pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306258

Amphiceolias look it up and dinosaurs are archosaurs and related to crocodiles and bursa such as the harpy eagle and Nile croc and I know FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR more than u about dinosaurs that’s a fact!!!!

06/26/14  05:22pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306261

ok so you got that right, i never said i knew anyting about dinosaurs, and i know their related to crocidials,

06/26/14  05:28pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306264

i said ask me anything to do with reptiles.... not dinasour, becuase you dont know anything about reptiles

06/26/14  05:30pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306265

your a little lmfao .... you cuase you dont know anything about reptiles ....

06/26/14  05:34pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306265

Know more than u and u know nothing about dinosaurs

06/26/14  05:36pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306269

ok i dont like dinasours... their extinct their dead.... your still a poopie head haha

06/26/14  05:37pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306270

And in a little kid and dinosaurs are more intelligent then u

06/26/14  05:52pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306276

how ae they intelegant if their extinct tell me that lmao

06/26/14  06:41pm

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306284

They lived for 170 million years and are still here so technically 280 millon years because they are still hear and hunans have inly been here 2 million years

06/26/14  07:02pm

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306290

Stop fighting boys ( sends I’m the only girl ) this is crazy!!!!!!

06/30/14  09:09am

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: LizardLoverGirls   In reference to Message Id: 2306464

Hey u were fighting to

06/30/14  09:42am

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306467

Not on this thread!!!! Now stop...I’m younger than both of you!!!!! But I act like your mom...

07/01/14  06:46am

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: LizardLoverGirls   In reference to Message Id: 2306485

K

07/01/14  07:40am

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2306492

Thanks

07/01/14  02:59pm

FightinTxAggie98
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2306228

Thank you!

My kid recently caught a fence lizard and this is exactly what I needed! Thanks for putting an easy to understand breakdown together. Although I used to catch things when I was young, I never tried to keep them, so this is new to me.

A question about cleaning with bleach, however. How do you know for certain that you have removed the bleach well enough that the chlorine fumes won’t bother the lizard? To this point, I have been scrubbing with very hot water and non-toxic, all natural dish soap.

08/17/14  01:30am

ReptileGOD
View Profile

Message To: FightinTxAggie98   In reference to Message Id: 2308597

Thank you!

I wouldnt use bleach

08/17/14  08:52am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: ReptileGOD   In reference to Message Id: 2308610

Thank you!

if you cant smell the bleach after its dry then it should be fine