Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rromabella   VengeoftheStars   ThesaurusRex   Rromabella   JosieWi  

Member  Message

Rromabella
View Profile

Help! Crushed front leg

I found a big, beautiful fence lizard with it’s front leg pinned between the panels of my garage door. I wedged the door and gently removed the lizard but sadly it’s entire front right leg is crushed flat. It didn’t seem to mind I was handling it so I assume it is in shock. I’ve tried to make it as comfortable as possible but it’s never going to use that leg again. Is there somewhere I can take it, does anyone know, or something I can do for it? This is so far out of my realm of being able to help and I don’t want it to suffer. It seems otherwise healthy and I’ve seen ones running around without limbs before....any suggestions, please.

11/01/13  12:25am

VengeoftheStars
View Profile

Message To: Rromabella   In reference to Message Id: 2302026

Help! Crushed front leg

Definitely do not just go do this BUT im wondering if it would be the most humane thing to try to remove the damaged limb somehow. I would call an exotics vet and ask them honestly. I would imagine the best thing to do would be to remove the damaged limb, keep it in a suitable enclosure AWAY from human contact until it heals and then either let it go or just rescue the thing and keep it.
either way a crushed leg sounds like bad news if it isnt amputated. Infection could spread through the blood stream and kill the little guy.
putting it down may be another option if rehab isnt likely. Better to put it out of its misery if needed than to let it suffer.

again DONT just go cut his leg off lol. Not that i think you would do that but I dont want people reading this and thinking im telling you to do that.

11/06/13  05:32pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Rromabella   In reference to Message Id: 2302026

Help! Crushed front leg

If you truly want to help him somehow, call a reptile vet and ask them what they can do about it. The mere stress of having a crushed limb could send him on the path to dying anyhow.

11/06/13  06:12pm

Rromabella
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2302156

Help! Crushed front leg

This is a pretty old post but I wanted to update everyone. The day after the incident I put his little box out in the sunlight and somehow he managed to climb all the way out and head to my garden. I didn’t know his fate until the other day when this big, healthy, beautiful guy came over to sun himself on my back patio minus his entire leg. I guess nature has a way of figuring it all out. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

09/09/15  09:15pm

JosieWi
View Profile

Message To: Rromabella   In reference to Message Id: 2314856

Help! Crushed front leg

He made it! How cool is that! I am happy that after all this time, he is alive and you now know what happened to him :)

09/12/15  11:32pm

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area