Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects r appetizers   ThesaurusRex   Insects r appetizers   ThesaurusRex   Insects r appetizers   ThesaurusRex   LizardLoverGirls  

Member  Message

Insects r appetizers
View Profile

Can I mix species?

So I was out by the stream when I came across a five lined skink hibernating under a rock (it started getting cold here about a week ago). I’m wondering if it would be okay to put it in with my fence lizard until I get a better cage. I’ve heard that it could be bad to mix species because they could spread diseases. Does anyone know much about this? any help would be appreciated!

10/07/13  04:30pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Insects r appetizers   In reference to Message Id: 2301576

Can I mix species?

No, please do not. And if you don’t have the money to buy things such as a better cage I would suggest rethinking keeping lizards. Not only would they spread diseases, but they won’t get along and cause stress on both sides.

Lizards have been hibernating under rocks since time immemorial. The skink won’t die if you put him back to brumate again.

10/12/13  12:40am

Insects r appetizers
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2301649

Can I mix species?

Thanks for the advice! For the time they were together they seem to have been just fine; basking together and sharing the same cool areas. I do not believe they have transferred any diseases. The skink had one eye shut when I found her and it has been healing well. it is almost fully open now.Since they cannot live together I can get a new vivarium for the her (I believe it is a female). Money is not a problem as I am a teenager with no bills to pay and two dependable jobs. Also as a side note I am wondering if it is beneficial for Patricia my fence lizard to hibernate. She did not hibernate the first year I had her as she was gravid at the time, but she seems to be gaining weight towards winter and I don’t think it is eggs. I’ve heard they build up fat when they are getting ready to hibernate so should I just gradually lower the temperature of the cage, or not do anything at all?

10/15/13  06:00pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Insects r appetizers   In reference to Message Id: 2301716

Can I mix species?

Some may say it’s beneficial, but there are no ill effects if you keep it running as normal. Reptiles don’t hibernate, they brumate which is essentially a very low power state, opposed to hibernation which is sleeping through the entire winter. Most people only let their reptiles brumate if they are planning on breeding them. If she insists, though (stays hidden even though all the lights are on), it may be best to go through with it.

Good luck!

10/17/13  06:18pm

Insects r appetizers
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2301741

Can I mix species?

I actually am interested in breeding, maybe not soon but it seems like a cool idea. I think I will try brumation for Patricia. Will just sticckin her in the fride with eco earth be to harsh, even if she is cool? Also how long should she be in there? Thanks!

10/17/13  10:09pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Insects r appetizers   In reference to Message Id: 2301744

Can I mix species?

No, no fridge is necessary. You just have to find some way to keep the terrarium an average of 50 degrees. Although keeping her for the winter is possible, this can be dangerous and some people just keep them brumated for a few weeks.

Breeding also has plenty of preparation in itself... :)

10/22/13  02:16am

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2301862

Can I mix species?

Keep all your LIZARDS!!!!!!!

06/16/14  01:08pm

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area