Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Guyzo   Cassielehman   Guyzo   ThesaurusRex   Guyzo   ThesaurusRex   LizardLoverGirls  

Member  Message

Guyzo
View Profile

Release vs raise...

Ok...here’s my question.. i have a pair of WFL that have hatched out five babies. I ’ ve been feedin the wee ones ants and dusted baby crix. They’re getting on to a few weeks old now and i dont know if i really want to start a captive colony of fence lizards. In a while it will require quite a bit more cage space, lighting, and food. Sure it would be swell to start a captive line that others could enjoy and maybe some morphs might come out with line breeding(!)

But a large part of me wants to release the little guys away from the cats that brought me their parents. However, i dont want to possibly introduce some heinous plague that ends up wiping out either the local population or the species(ok so thats a little unlikely....) are there valid concerns to take into account here or am i worrying over nothing? They all seem rather healthy and spry, and have been raised with cage elements from the yard the parents came from..so no exotic vectors have been introduced.

So, whats the consensus? Safe to release or no?

07/20/13  08:53pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Guyzo   In reference to Message Id: 2299754

Release vs raise...

i would raise them just to keep the littleones safe.. you have already raised them for a few weeks already. yes it will take a bit of money but they would do so much better with u then in the wild. there is so much that could happen to them in the wild vs what u could injoy raiseing and watching them grow. they are use to a cage invorment and i dont exsacly think they would know what to do in the wild becouse they are use to a human bringing them food by now. i have released captive raised and injured reptiles befor and its hard to think that all of them made it. to tell the truth i releaced a lizard once only to find it dead by my porch 3 days later.. and also a colony would be a perfect way to bring in the income u used on takeing care of them if u ever diside to breed them and sell.

07/22/13  02:29pm

Guyzo
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299841

Release vs raise...

Income? From fence lizards? Western fence lizards? Aside from feeders i dont see much of a market for these guys. Who is going to pay money for lizards you can catch in the back yard?
Admittedly, I’d hate to split them up now, this morning when i turned on the basking light, two of the hatchlings were sleeping on top of the female( awww!) But eventually the young males will come into conflicf with the adult male.

07/23/13  12:57pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Guyzo   In reference to Message Id: 2299754

Release vs raise...

Alright, here’s the scoop.

So you’ve hatched five WFL babies, and so far they’re a few weeks old. They may still know they have to look for their own food. If you keep them, you have the possibility of accidentally giving them some sort of infection and killing all of them. If you release them, they have to make sure they are not predated upon.

What you most certainly can NOT do is raise them for income. Per California’s native reptile propagation laws, Western Fence Lizards and other native lizards can not be bred commercially with the intent to sell. HOWEVER, if you’re a skilled enough breeder the line breeding method you mentioned is a workaround to those laws, as you can legally sell native reptiles that have unnatural morphs, such as albinos. I love fence lizards. I’d buy some from you in a heartbeat.

If they’re already a few weeks old, I’d say you’re doing so far so good and with every week the chance of them dying from an illness decreases greatly as their immune system improves. If you have the ability to care for 7 Western Fence Lizards (which will all require their own enclosures as they mature, minus the females), then you can most certainly keep them. You should make your decision relatively quick, though, as eventually they will become acclimated to waiting for their food to come rather than looking for it themselves.

If you feel you can’t take on that responsibility, you could possibly compromise by buying an all-mesh terrarium, putting it outside, and putting some insects in there until they’re used to being outside. After that, just leave the terrarium’s door open and wait until they make the decision to move out.

07/25/13  07:24am

Guyzo
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2299929

Release vs raise...

Ok..firstly, it has never been my goal to breed fence lizards for profit, nor to line breed them to develop morphs. That last one was humor.. i have bred pythons, geckos and monitors in the past. So, fence lizards wouldnt be my first choice to put food on the table with....

These fence lizards are the results or my cats predatory behaviors and my drive to try to rescue the lizards before they become snacks. The eggs were produced i presume due in a large part to my keeping them like i did my monitors back when i had those going. But as i said, i wasnt even sure the female laid em, and they incubated in the substrate of the cage.
As for the mesh cage...well...that’ll keep the cats amused until they get hungry or just curious as to the taste...

I gotta admit though....the thought of albino swifts is an intriguing one. White with the blue cast on the undersides..... might be something there......never heard of one though.....

Guy

07/26/13  04:04am

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Guyzo   In reference to Message Id: 2299944

Release vs raise...

I just keep my cat inside the house. Seems to fix the problem AND I feel like I’ve done my environment a favor :P

I’ve seen like, one image of an albino eastern fence lizard, but that’s about it.

07/26/13  09:51am

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2299946

Release vs raise...

Raise

06/16/14  07:32am

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area