Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Karene   Lizard girl 4   Karene   Shknitzle   ThesaurusRex   Jared T   Karene   Jared T   Baja   Lizard girl 4   Shknitzle   Jinete   Jared T   Karene   Jinete   Jared T   Jinete   Jared T   Karene   Jared T   Baja   Jared T   Karene   Lizard girl 4   ThesaurusRex   Karene   Jared T   Karene   Jared T   RockinRobbins5  
Pages 1 2 Next

Member  Message

Karene
View Profile

Nine Little Fence Lizards!

Big day at my house! The fence lizard eggs hatched bright and early yesterday!

I feel a little caught off guard at the moment. I’d suspected that they would take a bit longer due to such small embryos when the eggs were last candled during a humidity check. I’m so used to hatching quail and duck eggs that I’d just assumed it would be another few days. Oh well, you know what they say about assuming... So I’m going to finish setting up their grow out tank and get the babies all happily transferred.

Pictures to follow! :D

Always,
K

07/31/12  01:53pm

Lizard girl 4
View Profile

Message To: Karene   In reference to Message Id: 2275055

That’s awesome!!!!! How do you candle eggs?

07/31/12  02:47pm

Karene
View Profile

Message To: Lizard girl 4   In reference to Message Id: 2275059

I never touched the eggs once I put them in their Ziploc containers w/vermiculite. Some eggs were buried deeper than others, but the ones that poked out a bit, I held the container up to the light to see if anything showed through. They were surprisingly easy to see. The blood vessels were very easy to spot, but once the eggs reached the 5 week incubation period, you could see their little heads and tails twitch and wriggle. It was pretty precious. :)

07/31/12  03:03pm

Shknitzle
View Profile

Congratulations on the babies!! :)

07/31/12  06:40pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Great job!

08/01/12  11:04am

Jared T
View Profile

We want pictures!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

08/01/12  12:51pm

Karene
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2275173

For your viewing pleasure!

The momma in her tank not long after I first got her.

Laying her eggs in the tank, in which they were promptly taken out and placed in the Hova Bator.

Hatch day! Out of their eggs and ready for the world! Ring for size comparison. :)

My 20L grow out tank. With nine babies, it’s very temporary. Still trying to figure out a drown-proof water dish. Going to buy marbles tomorrow.

Sans anthropomorphizing the little guy, he seemed pretty inquisitive unlike the rest of his siblings, who were doing their best impression of forest litter. :)

08/02/12  01:18am

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Karene   In reference to Message Id: 2275266

Way awesome! Nice job! Awesome pictures too! I’m jealous lol

You could use a shallow Tupperware lid. One that doesn’t have a big lip, but big enough to hold some water. Or even the marble idea you have would work too with a small bowl. Clean rocks might be better though as they have better texture for grabbing purposes. Wet glass might be a weeee bit slippery for hatchlings. I would set up a slow dripper to drip onto the lid/rocks too. When I had my lizards they used to never drink from the water bowl, until I started using a dripper!

08/02/12  03:16am

Baja
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2275272

Cute babies and congrats!

08/02/12  11:35am

Lizard girl 4
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2275294

I just was wondering how to candle eggs Those are SO cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the pictures!

08/02/12  11:56am

Shknitzle
View Profile

Message To: Karene   In reference to Message Id: 2275266

ADORABLE!!! And amazing pictures!! Thanks for updating and adding the pictures.
Mine was wild caught and looks not too much bigger than your hatchlings. He seems to eat small (1/8th) crickets just fine though. My local reptile place does not offer pinheads and I couldn’t deal with the wingless fruit flies. Ick! lol

08/02/12  01:25pm

Jinete
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2275272

Can you tell me more about the dripper? What kind? How often did your fence drink from the dripper? Etc.

08/02/12  02:49pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Jinete   In reference to Message Id: 2275344

You can buy the drippers at pet stores which is better but I made mine. I just took a water bottle and punched a hole in the bottom with a thumb tack, then I used the lid of the bottle as the drip adjustment. Before I started using the dripper I never seen them drink out of the water bowl, but every now and then after I started using it I would see them climb up and bend down to drink. Lizards don’t need much water often; they store water and also get water from the crickets. A drip every 10-15 seconds shall do the trick!

08/02/12  03:12pm

Karene
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2275347

Great idea! Sounds like I have another fun DIY project on my hands. :)

08/02/12  04:16pm

Jinete
View Profile

Message To: Karene   In reference to Message Id: 2275356

Yeah, I might need to look into doing that too. What did you have it drip on to? Substrate? Rocks? Climbs?

08/03/12  03:24am

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Jinete   In reference to Message Id: 2275466

Right into the water bowl lol

08/03/12  05:53am

Jinete
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2275481

Oh wow, ok So having it drip into the bowl was enough to lead him to drink from the bowl? I have misted the cage and seen him drink from the rocks and perches, etc. But never from the bowl.

08/05/12  11:38pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Jinete   In reference to Message Id: 2275740

Lol it doesn’t happen instantly. Lizards naturally drink droplets from leaves and rocks, getting them to drink from the bowl will take a little time.

08/06/12  12:02am

Karene
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2275744

Updates: So far, everyone is eating quite well and their activity level seems to be going up. If lizards can imprint, these wee ones seem to be doing so. They don’t fear me, my hand, or my voice anymore. They’ve finally associated my presence with food. If only my adult EFL would pick up on that too. Also, cleaning their tank is proving to be tricky, since they have me terribly out numbered and it’s difficult to herd them out of the way. They’d rather climb onto my hand than scoot away from it. Not that I’m complaining. ;)

Here are some more pics. :D

Adult and baby checking each other out.

One of the babies eyeballing a delicious looking cricket in another tank.

Curiosity at it’s best.

When you talk to them, they all come out of hiding and perch onto the rock waiting to be fed.

Looking and waiting for their lunch.

All of the beasties in one photo. The little guy all the way to the left has me a bit worried, he’s not gaining weight like the others. So I’ve begun to give him supplemental flies on the side so he has a chance to catch up with the rest.

The adult waiting for her dinner as well. I really need to come up with a name for her... :P

08/06/12  09:19pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Karene   In reference to Message Id: 2275844

That’s so cool!!!!! I wanna see them in person lol

08/06/12  09:42pm

Baja
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2275847

Hope the little one makes t good luck!

08/07/12  12:52pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Karene   In reference to Message Id: 2275844

Hey how are the babies!?

08/11/12  09:39pm

Karene
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2276518

So far, all nine are eating, with their little bodies starting to fill out a bit. Although, the runt is still lagging behind. It’s eating, but is always the last out for food and the first into their cave for bed. For the most part, with the exception of Peanut the Runt, they are bright and active, and feeding them is the highlight of my day. :D

08/12/12  01:02am

Lizard girl 4
View Profile

Message To: Karene   In reference to Message Id: 2276530

Is the runt still doing okay?

08/17/12  06:02pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Karene   In reference to Message Id: 2276530

I’d recommend that you separate Peanut into another enclosure, in case he might spread something to the rest of the group.

08/17/12  06:03pm

Karene
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2277104

The wee one seems to be catching up to the rest of the clutch now. Now it takes a few minutes to distinguish which one he is, which I’m grateful for. He still isn’t the most aggressive lizard with food, but he eats what’s in front of him and with gusto, but he’s less likely to push and shove his siblings for a cricket than they are to him. I think they’re just too pushy.

And I saw the babies drink water for the first time yesterday. I’d always assumed that they were drinking or getting their water from their flies and crickets. But after filling their water dish yesterday, I got to watch a couple lap up droplets. It was ADORABLE (yes, the caps are necessary for the momentous amount of squee). I was so angry at myself for not having my phone on me to take video and I didn’t dare move for fear of ruining the moment. :P

08/18/12  12:30am

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Karene   In reference to Message Id: 2277144

Hey! We all know how fast these guys grow... any new pics yet? lol

08/20/12  09:55pm

Karene
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2277404

LOL I take a million pics, just weary of being overzealous and spamming everyone. :P

Here are a few updated pics:

It shows, despite my horrid photo shopping skills, how much the babies have grown between 7/30 and today 8/29. They should grow a lot, they go thru about 1000 pinheads every two weeks. O_O

Speaking of Lizardzilla.... Here’s one munching on his dinner.

Getting a refreshing drink of water.

Why bask on a crowded rock with all your siblings when you can be the king of your very own castle?

Don’t let their photo size fool you though, they’re still itty bitty.

There are some color variations in the fencies. Nothing earth shattering, just a pleasant observation.

I’m partial to the coppery ones myself, like the one in the center of the image.

Added for the fun of it. My adult is shedding and it looks like she has a pair on undies on her head. :P

08/29/12  08:33am

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Karene   In reference to Message Id: 2278228

I swear next year I’m getting a new tank and I’m going to breed some eastern fence lizards! Your pics are just too cool lol are you breeding crickets too or do you just buy them in bulk?

Here’s some pics from my last experience!

I had a 50 gallon :oP

08/31/12  10:23pm

RockinRobbins5
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2278585

Hi. My family has enjoyed seeing your three little fence lizards. We have three baby fence lizards of our own. We are new to lizards and wondered if you could tell me how much your baby fence lizards ate at each feeding and how often you fed them. We have a runt too. I’m thinking we will need to separate him so he gets enough food. I am open to any suggestions that you have. Thanks!

09/03/12  07:36pm

Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area