Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Fence Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Treegirl   GrimlockRose   Treegirl   Treegirl   Makusu the Ninja   GrimlockRose   Treegirl   GrimlockRose   Makusu the Ninja   Treegirl   ThesaurusRex   GrimlockRose   Treegirl   GrimlockRose   Treegirl   Makusu the Ninja   Treegirl   GrimlockRose   Treegirl   GrimlockRose   Treegirl   ThesaurusRex   Treegirl   GrimlockRose   Treegirl   GrimlockRose   Treegirl   Makusu the Ninja   Treegirl   GrimlockRose  
Pages 1 2 Next

Member  Message

Treegirl
View Profile

Western Fence Lizard help??

Hello, I’m new to these forums and I have a few questions/concerns about a western fence lizard. I have a feeling this will get rather long, I apologize and thank you for taking the time to read it :D

I recently found a male fence lizard in my yard (there are a few living in my backyard, I’ve had to rescue several of the babies that fall into my pool :(, this will be the first time I’ve decided to keep one). He was hiding underneath one of my trashcans, and as I moved the trashcan I noticed him sitting there on the sidewalk not moving even when I touched him trying to gently get him to move on. I thought this to be odd since the other lizards I encounter are very alert and don’t let me get anywhere near them... So I picked him up and moved him back into the garden thinking he was just playing opossom; however, I ended up holding him for about half an hour because he didn’t want to get off of my hand(when I tried pushing him off he would crawl up my arm grabbing on) so I let him warm up a bit before I put him in the planter. After about 10 minutes he finally moved and climbed onto the brick fence and sat there for about 2 hours. I kept going out to check on him and I finally decided to bring him in because at that point it was dark and getting colder outside and he hadn’t moved from his spot on the fence.

Now I would have never taken him out of the wild if I wasn’t so concerned for his well-being; there are so many cats and birds and I’m afraid that because he is so sluggish right now he will just be eaten, but it’s like he doesn’t even care ( suicidal lizard? : / ). Please don’t tell me to just put him back outside I’m looking for advice on how to properly care for him.

I’ve done a ton of research over the past 2 days (I found him on Sunday night) and I understand they brumate in the winter and this may be what’s happening but I’m concerned because yesterday I saw atleast 4 fence lizards outside and they were acting nothing like this. I live in Southern California and it has been about 80-85 degrees in the daytime and 50-60 degrees at night for about a week but it was very cold a couple weeks ago, 50 degrees in the daytime and 35-40 at night; weird weather I know.

Some information that might be helpful - I have a 10 gallon tank I’ve been keeping him in, using reptile bark, I have a basking rock, waterbowl (shallow so he can soak and not drown), a hide, and a log he can climb on. I plan on getting him a little tree he can climb on as well. I got him some small size crickets, I only put 2 in the tank but he has NOT eaten anything since I brought him in or even been interested. He doesn’t look malnourished or anything though (I actually thought he might be pregnant before I figured out it was a "he"!)

Since I’ve brought him in this is what I’ve observed: He likes to go in the water bowl and soak ( I haven’t seen him drink any out of the bowl). He won’t eat as stated above but it has only been 1 day of trying to feed him. I did not have a light for the first couple of days so I would take him out and place him on the window sill with the window open and the sun shining through the screen and let him bask since I knew he wouldn’t go anywhere(I watched him of course!). At night he’ll burrow, I freaked out the first time this happened thinking he got out of his cage somehow lol, but he has done this 2 nights in a row so I assume that’s normal. He seems to have small bursts of energy where he’ll run around or scratch at the sides of the cage... what really concerns me is that he has his eyes closed 95% of the time, and he’ll run around and randomly stop and close his eye again. He only opens his eye for a few seconds before he closes it again, and yes I say "eye", because it appears he cannot open his left eye at all. Loves being held, I guess because of the warmth,and will sit in your hand for as long as you want to hold him.

Is this him brumating or is there something wrong with him? Like I said the other lizards in my yard act nothing like this, he’s so sluggish and I have to go and make sure he’s alive because he moves only the bare minimum. I bought a 50 watt UVA bulb today as well and had that on for a few hours, but he seemed to move as far away as possible from the area where the bulb was focused; however, he perked up abit after being in the light for about an hour before he moved. He also opened his eye more after that as well.

A couple other questions I have are:

1. the woman at the petstore when I bought the UVA bulb said I do NOT need a UVB bulb and I can just dust my crickets with calcium and that will be sufficient enough for him, this seemed sketchy especially after all the research I’ve done - Do I "need" to go buy a 10.0 UVB tube bulb?

2. if I understand correctly I need to have the UVA/UVB bulbs on for 12 hours a day, and off at night, and also a hot side for basking and a cooler side - Do I also need a heating lamp at night or is it OK without any sort of heating source at night since they burrow?

3. He is about 4 inches long including his tail, I’m not sure how old he is but small crickets seem to be the perfect size for him - but how much and how often should I feed him? should I "dust" my crickets?

Like I said I plan on getting him a little "tree" to climb on, a thermometer to monitor the temp in the tank, and also a UVB 10.0 bulb if I absolutely have to have one. I’ve only had him for 3 days and I am getting all the supplies asap to properly care for him.

Thanks for taking the time to read this I would really appreciate any feedback! I am mostly concerned about lighting so he won’t get MBD, and his eating habits as well as the not being able to open one of his eyes. I would love any suggestions anyone has :)

01/18/11  10:39pm

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2199331

I don’t know what might be wrong as none of my lizzies have experienced that behavior, but I do know a few things that might help.

The woman at the petstore was wrong. The UVB light is needed. The light itself doesn’t give the lizard calcium. It helps the lizard use the calcium. Without it, his body won’t work right and the body will start to cannabalize calcium for the bones (Metabolic Bone Disease/MBD). Give him at least 15 minutes of real sunlight, and be careful that he can leave if he gets too warm. Don’t put his tank on the windowsill and leave him. They can overheat that way. MBD is pretty a sad way to die, and I lost two geckos before I found out they didn’t have enough calcium and that the light was too far away. I think rule of thumb for UVB penetration is about 10 inches for every 5 watts, so I recommend at least UVB 10.0, not the 5.0.

You don’t need the heat light as long as it doesn’t get any colder than the lower 70s at night where his cage is (keep it away from AC vents to help). The lights themselves don’t need to be on a 12/12 schedule. They can mimic the light outside. During the day the tank should be in the upper 80s on the basking side.

Four inches long I believe indicates that he isn’t quite fully grown. He’s an adult, just not an old man (I may be wrong. I deal with Eastern fence lizards, so that’s my comparison). At that age they can be fed every day to every other day. I feed mine on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays with the occasional Saturdays. I dust on Wednesdays. Gut loading crickets gives the lizzie some calcium, but not quite enough, and too much calcium can be a bad thing, too.
Make sure the body of the cricket is no wider than the space between the lizard’s eyes. A little bigger or smaller isn’t a problem. Just, when he does eat, see how it goes.
People will say that they don’t stop eating when full. That’s not true for all lizards. Mine all stop when full. Occasionally I have some that love to chase down the crickets, but they don’t eat them.

For the eating habits, I have an old boy that for awhile there I would never see him eat. I would up tempting him with other food, and he loved that. Phoenix worms and wax worms are good. If you have a PetSmart, they have waxworms. You want them to be a cream color. The black ones are dead. Don’t get mealworms (too much exoskeleton).

I actually now hand feed my picky eater via tweezers. He’s back to crickets. I went with the ones that I used for my juvenile lizards (he’s twice their size so I used larger crickets) and he responds well to them, eating one or two on feeding days.

From the beginning, it sounded like brumation, but if he’s been in warmth for a few days and is still like that, it might be parasites, impaction, or a disease. Since it likes the water bowl, maybe try giving it a warm water soak once or twice a day. I do this when one of mine has trouble molting. Make sure the water stays warm. I use a deep tupperware dish (a one gallon dish) so that they can’t jump out. I put between 0.5 and 1 centimeter in the container. As it cools, I remove the water and add fresh. The soaks last about 5 minutes and I do it in the mornings and dab away the excess water from my lizard, that way he can get fully dry in his tank and not be at risk for pneumonia.

I hope this helps and makes sense! One a.m. ramblings aren’t my strong suit.

01/19/11  02:02am

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2199364

I really feel sorry for the little guy, I’m going to see how he does this week and just hope he gets better.

Alright I will be getting him a 10.0 UVB light then, how long can he last without it I’ve heard up to 2 weeks? I still plan on putting him in real sunlight (I let him sit on the windowsill outside the tank, making sure he’s not too warm) until I get my hands on the UVB, which I’ll probably order online as the Petco here is very expensive :( Is there a specific brand I should go for?

I’ve been thinking about handfeeding him but I’m not sure how that will go considering his eyes are always closed >.< like I said he’s looks well fed so hoping he’ll go eat when he gets hungry enough. I’ll try the worms if the crickets don’t seem to be working after this week. It seems the crickets hide pretty easily in the reptile bark I’m using for substrate, is this a problem for him?

Yeah it really doesn’t sound like brumation anymore, so he must just be sick... I will soak him right now and see how that goes. praying that he will get better on his own, I can’t afford to be taking him to the vet and medications :(

Thanks so much for all the help :D

01/19/11  12:17pm

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2199408

I let Blue (the name I decided on) bask in the sun on the window sill again... He seems a lot more energetic now after I soaked him and let him bask, he climbed up on the screen and actually pooped haha so maybe that’s the reason he’s been so lethargic because this is the first time he’s gone since I’ve had him...It looked like he ate some kind of beatle. here are some pictures of him basking and after I soaked him, also one of a closeup on his eye that he can’t open, sorry if the quality isn’t great:

01/19/11  01:36pm

Makusu the Ninja
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2199331

Weird, My lizard does the same eye thing too!

01/19/11  05:47pm

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2199429

He’s a cutie!

The eye thing is kind of weird. mine just likes to close his eyes and nap.

As long as he gets at least 15 minutes of sunlight (more if you can) every day, he’ll be okay until you can manage a light. Watch out, cause once he gets to feeling better he might be a lot more active!

Shoot, I don’t have my box that their lightbulb came in... I’m a bit of a cheapskate and they’re expensive. I’ve currently got a bit of money stashed away for the combo uva/uvb lights (they run about $40). I use that for one tank and want one for my others. You have to be careful with them as they contain mercury and they can get really hot, so you’ll want a large tank if you opt for the expensive route. In my other tanks, I have the cheapest 10.0 bulb I could find.

Since his eyes are always closed, try to tempt him with something that doesn’t move much. Maybe take off the hind legs of the crickets or get some slow moving wax worms. I use to have a shallow dish in my tank that I would put those in before I started hand feeding my guy.

Yeah, the crickets will hide very easily in that stuff, but they will come out from time to time. My lizards always startle me when they make a mad scrabbling dash and it turns out that a cricket had emerged from somewhere. If the crickets remain in the tank for longer than a day, I would have something in there for them to nibble on so that they don’t take their hunger out on Blue’s toes and tail, and it would give them a reason to be out and about.

You can tell from the feces what he ate? O.o Wow. Mine always digest their food pretty well and it just has a white bit with a black bit following.

Has his behavior changed any?

Can you describe the eyes as much as possible? Do they look swollen, sunken in, are they leaking anything, are they crusty, etc... Can he open both?
Keep doing the soaks, and share how he’s doing!

01/20/11  01:15am

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2199590

haha yeah he’s adorable :)

Okay so his eyes, it’s just the 1 eye that he can’t open.. it’s his left eye and I haven’t noticed any leaking or it being crusty, just that he can’t open it and it looks sealed shut. here’s a better quality picture of his left eye: Link his other eye looks completely normal, and more defined at the eyelid.. maybe it’s from his last shedding or he injured it somehow?

I will keep putting him out in the sun for sure til I get him the UVB, I’ve definitely noticed him being more active after doing so :)

My tank isn’t very large (10 gal) so I’ll be getting a 10.0 bulb, I’m just curious what size I should get because the tank that I have the top half is a screen which is where i’ve been putting the heating/uva and the other half is glass.. I’m not sure how I should set up the lights once I get the UVB. If I switch the heating/uva to the glass side would the uva penetrate the glass? Does the UVB need to be the length of the cage? If so I guess I should just take off the glass side assuming the UVB and UVA can’t penetrate the glass. Also, I’ve read that the coiled or compact uvb bulbs can cause blindness, so I should definitely get the long bulbs right?

Yeah I’ve put a carrot in the cage for the 2 crickets that are in there since he hasn’t been eating... He’ll open his eye if he sees me coming in the room but yesterday he was just letting a cricket crawl all over him >.< I made sure it didn’t stay on him very long though. I will try worms if he still won’t eat the crickets.

lol well there was the white and then the black but I noticed like some sort of shell in the black, like that of a beattle, and it seemed rather dry, so maybe he’s had trouble digesting?

He’s mostly been basking and burrowing and sometimes he’ll try to climb up the sides of the cage after he’s woken up.. other than that he’s been the same, a little more energy but still not eating, and the eye thing of course. He still lets me pick him up and touch him and isn’t very skiddish at all. I will go soak him right now and let him bask in the sun for a while. I’ll keep you posted :)

01/20/11  02:41pm

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2199724

Have you ever seen that eye open? It may be a birth defect; I had a guinea pig like that once.

Yeah, 10.0 is good for a 10 gallon. I don’t know what kind to recommend. I use spot lamps and hadn’t had problems, but I didn’t know that some people had problems until a few weeks ago when I read about it.

I would put the lights on the screen side. Best uninterrupted light. Don’t have to worry about the lights weakening or getting magnified. If possible, I would change out the whole thing to screen for better circulation ( I had a fish tank with the lighting fixture that I switched with a screen tank lid from the pet store. I have the UVB on the same side as the heat light. That’s where my lizzies spend most of their time.

Hah! Crickets in my tank love to climb on my lizzies. One time, a cricket was on Kite, and next thing I know, she was halfway across the tank and Kohaku was in her spot, happily munching on the cricket.

He may have had trouble digesting. If it is impaction, the soaks will help as will giving it a minuscule amount of oil, but I wouldn’t try that unless I knew for sure he was impacted. Just stick with what’s been working.

Give him plenty of things to climb on, once active these guys like having things to hide on/scurry over. For a cheap climb, you can use branches gathered from outside. Make sure they’re dried. Strip off unwanted bits and all leaves. Place them on a sheet lined with aluminum foil or just wrap them in foil, and bake in the oven at 275-325 for between 8 and 25 minutes. You want it warm enough to kill anything (parasites) but you don’t want to burn the sticks. Let it cool completely and you have a safe toy for Blue.

01/20/11  06:29pm

Makusu the Ninja
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2199819

My lizard has the same problem except she can open her eye. But most of the time she choses to keep it shut. My theory is that, by closing their eye they are exibiting stress. Just a theory though. For the UVB bulb you may just want to check Ebay. Petco prices everything WAY too high.

01/20/11  07:01pm

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2199819

I’ve never seen him open the eye so I don’t think he even can, he has been opening his other eye more frequently though.

I’ll shop around for a UVB and see if I can find one that isn’t $40-60 bucks! Petco and Petsmart are ridiculous with their prices. I think I’ll probably get a tube bulb, I’ll have to get a fixture too though :(

Alright, hopefully I can go buy a screen just for that half, or i’ll just keep both lights on the same side.

Well I think the soaking helped him to go last time, because he went not long after he had been soaking. I’ll definitely keep soaking him, he doesn’t seem to mind it at all :)

Ohhh! That’s exactly what I’ll do tomorrow morning, going to get him a fake plant to put in there too. Is there a way to tell if Blue already has parasites on him?

@Makusu: I think you’re right about the stress part, but I think that may only be true for his other eye, as he keeps that one closed most of the time too. I believe he can’t open his left eye whatsoever :(

01/20/11  07:45pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2199855

@Makusu: In most lizard body language, it usually means they’re used to something. But if both eyes are closed for a prolonged period of time, it usually means stress.

To tell if he has parasites on him, it can be as easy as picking him up and looking at his skin. If you’re vision’s not too good, you can use a magnifying glass. If you see a little gray bump near their neck, leg, or other part of their skin, it’s usually a tick. This can be solved by putting him in a warm-ish bath for a few minutes. This drowns all the ticks. You can also use a special reptile parasite spray for this.

I applaud you, Treegirl! Thank you SO much for taking the time to research well on this topic. A lot of people don’t do this.

P.S: Wow, I post alot here >.>

01/21/11  02:14am

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2199855

Sounds like you’re on the right path! Post a comment if you notice him eating!

01/21/11  03:19am

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2199942

Alright here’s an update on Blue -

I checked him for parasites this morning and I didn’t see any thing that looked like what you described; however, I noticed his nose looks like it’s about to shed and his left eye looks like his bottom eyelid is sunken in today :( I took a bunch of pictures and uploaded them to photobucket if you guys wouldn’t mind looking - remember his left eye is the one that is having the troubles, I took a lot of his right eye too to compare though: Link

Other than his eye looking worse, he’s been sooo energetic today and his other eye has been open a lot of the time.. he still does the thing where he’ll just stop moving and it looks like he’s dead cause he just goes limp. he’s also been more jumpy today so I actually had to work to get him out of his cage for his soak. The 2 crickets I put in his cage on Tuesday are no where to be found, I haven’t seen them yesterday or today, so I’m hoping he ate them. Tomorrow morning I’ll put a couple more in there and see if I can catch him eating.

I took a treebranch and cut it into the shape of the ones you can buy, wrapped it in foil, cooked it for about 10 minutes at 300°, let it cool, and he loves it; I can’t believe pet stores charge $15 dollars for those! Thanks for the idea :D

Let me know what you think of his eye(s), I’m getting worried :(

01/21/11  05:29pm

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2200100

Wow, there is definitely a noticeable difference in the eyes. The eye has seemed to be getting worse?

Umm... I’m pulling up articles online. Dehydration will make a reptile lethargic and sometimes cause the eyes to sink in.

Vitamin A deficiency and Renal disease (caused by dehydration) have sunken eyes as symptoms. I have found articles about other reptiles with similar diseases (fence lizards don’t have much to go on).

I found the following on a box turtle website.
"Eyes are closed and turtle won’t eat-
If the eyes are shut and can’t be opened without soaking the turtle in warm water, then you may have the turtle in an environment that is too dry, or in bedding that is irritating its eyes. Keep the humidity up by using a moisture retaining bedding and with daily misting of water. Place more plants in the enclosure so humidity will naturally be maintained. There should be clean water available for the turtle to walk into anytime it needs to. If your turtle is indoors, there may be additional considerations. Is there a draft on the turtle that is drying it out? What kind of substrate are you using? Is it something that is sucking the water right out of the turtle, such as shredded paper or corncob bedding? Use something that retains water like terrarium moss or orchid bark. Don’t use cedar shavings or cedar bark as it contains harmful oils that are toxic to most reptiles and can cause swollen eyes, running nose and respiratory problems to box turtles.

If the eyes are closed and puffy, or there is a discharge from the eyes or nostrils, this is not caused by dryness and the turtle should be taken to a veterinarian. The turtle may have a respiratory infection or vitamin A deficiency. Once the illness is diagnosed and taken care of, you need to make changes in your husbandry to ensure it doesn’t occur again.

If the eyes are closed and sunken in, the turtle may be suffering from severe dehydration. It should be taken to a reptile veterinarian for medical attention."

So make sure there’s water in the bowl and lightly mist the tank in the mornings to see if that’ll help. I’m not a vet, so trust your own judgment. You have a better idea of how he’s doing from observations. The best thing to do when they’re sick is to take them to a real vet.

01/21/11  07:17pm

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2200128

I’ve only noticed his eye being worse today, it wasn’t sunken in like this yesterday. I have a waterbowl in there for him and the substrate I use absorbs moisture for humidity... I haven’t been misting the cage in the morning, so I’ll start doing that and see how he does over the weekend. I will probably take him to the vet if it doesn’t get any better :(

01/21/11  10:09pm

Makusu the Ninja
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2200180

I’ll also have to compliment you on your integrity and devotion toward keeping this new lizard. When I caught Godzilla (my first lizard) I scrambled to get everything she needed. But alas, I was as you could say financially tight fisted. Every penny I spent was hard earned. But, Godzilla died a couple days before I got the most essential aspect of herp keeping. A UVB BULB! So Good job, keep it up, And say hello to blue for me.

01/22/11  09:13pm

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: Makusu the Ninja   In reference to Message Id: 2200387

Well I got him a UVB bulb today and a thermometer, his tank is about 80-85 during the day. There’s an LLL Reptile store that just opened up here so I took him in and had them look at him.. from what they could tell his eye is from an injury and apparently he doesn’t even have an eye in there! He said to just leave him be for a couple days and let him get use to his tank, and then try feeding him again and once he starts eating he should be fine. So here’s hoping everything works out :)

@Makusu: Thanks so much and I’m so sorry to hear about Godzilla! :( It’s definitely expensive when you’re just starting out. I got Blue all set up now for the most part, it should (hopefully) be all down hill from here, money wise hehe :)

01/22/11  11:57pm

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2200434

Well, that’s a relief!

You have an LLL Reptile? I was thinking they were an online store. Oh, I would love to be near a big city. We don’t have reptile stores or vets (closest one lives 3 hours away).

01/23/11  09:48am

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2200482

Yeah definitely :)

It’s the same as the online store, I was surprised to find out we had one down here haha. Very awesome store and great prices. They have a huuuge selection of reptiles; and they all looked healthy and clean so that will be where I get my next reptile for sure.

Blue is becoming a little escape artist, he’s been jumping up onto the screen top and trying to find a way out. I have the UVB setup on the side where there is no screen so that part is open, so I had to block off where the screen meets the opening so he can’t get out haha. I’m so glad to see he’s more active, though :D

01/23/11  01:43pm

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2200534

That is great! It’s good to hear that he’s being so active!

Lol, yeah, mine like to run on the lids. I try to set up the tanks to keep them from doing so, but it doesn’t work. My 3 year old fencie made an 8-inch jump two days ago and started scrambling around, so be careful! They’ll keep surprising you.

01/23/11  06:30pm

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2200576

haha yeah that’s what he does, goes up as high as he can on his plant or branch and jumps up onto the screen.. he’s fallen a couple of times after missing his jump >.< but I figure he does this in the wild so I can’t protect him from all his bumps and bruises lol; he usually catches himself though which is a relief. I’m having so much fun just watching him, they’re such entertaining little guys :)

01/23/11  09:04pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2200598

Lol. It seems as if it’s every bluebelly’s dream to jump on the sun or something, xD

You have a very beautiful lizard!

01/24/11  04:23am

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2200656

lol no kidding!

hehe thank you :D

I’m going to offer Blue some crickets again today, I’ve noticed him opening his mouth more, so hopeflly he’ll eat this time!

Thanks again everyone for all your help with Blue :)

01/24/11  02:53pm

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2200751

Has his good eye been open a lot more? I also want to know how the feeding goes! Keep us informed!

01/25/11  01:30am

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2200881

So this might sound a little crazy but....

Blue has been opening BOTH his eyes! Since yesterday morning he’s been able to open his left eye and it looks normal when he has it open; just when it’s closed it’s not sticking out as far as his other eye... I guess it must have just been injured and now it’s healed. I was shocked when I noticed him opening both his eyes, I thought that was something I’d never see but I guess the guy at the reptile store was wrong about it being a lost cause.

As far as feeding goes, I haven’t witnessed him eating any crickets. When I put him in the smaller cage with a couple crickets he was more interested in getting out of the cage than acknowleding the crickets; he even let one sit on his head! >.< This was after about an hour of me leaving him alone so he didn’t see me watching.

I put a couple crickets in his cage, but they hide so much it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have no idea if he’s eaten any. Should I keep putting the crickets in his cage every few days? Or put him in the smaller cage with them? Should I try hand feeding him or will he eat when he’s ready? If he doesn’t eat soon would it be better to let him go? :(

01/26/11  03:09pm

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2201183

That’s great about the eye!

Maybe wait about 3-4 days after the last feeding, then drop in one or two. If there are any loose, they’ll be eaten in that time, and he’ll have time to work up an appetite. They’ll eat when ready. He’s eating. The crickets don’t stay hidden all of the time. Sometimes I hear one of mine dash off as they chase down a cricket from the previous day.

01/26/11  08:15pm

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2201251

Yeah I’m so happy he can open it :D

Alright I’ll do that then, I’ll keep an eye out for any of his "droppings" too. I hear him moving around a lot in the mornings, so maybe that’s what he’s doing. I guess he just doesn’t like being watched when he eats.

01/26/11  09:03pm

Makusu the Ninja
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2201264

Blue actually may be shedding! My lizard, Giga, closed one eye because she was shedding!

01/28/11  03:43pm

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: Makusu the Ninja   In reference to Message Id: 2201581

I noticed some dead skin on his nose but it’s mostly gone now so he may have just been finishing up. Also the light blue specks on his back are coming back in color now, they were starting to fade and he was looking more greyish on his back.

The past couple of days he hasn’t been burrowing at night, last night he was pressed up against the glass, now tonight he’s just lying on his branch. I tried using one of my old night time heat bulbs but it’s burnt out, it’s only about 70° in there at night... that’s not too cold right?

Oh and he pooped! haha. it was only a small amount though >.<

01/29/11  01:49am

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2201688

I have one that likes to go to sleep on the branch at night, but it is 72 in my house at night. AS long as it’s no colder than 70, he should be alright. If you’re worried, get an under tank heat pad for the warm side, and that can stay on 24/7.

That’s great! Have you seen him eat?

01/29/11  09:01am

Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area