Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fence Lizards Forum

Greatballzofire   Manderzratz   Reptileruler1   Greatballzofire   Manderzratz   Greatballzofire   Manderzratz   Greatballzofire   Lizardsrock   Awesomeness   Lizardsrock   Chorro   Greatballzofire   Greatballzofire   Geckos1218   Mel Mel   Ljstrand   Hfs3   Greatballzofire   Slyone   Greatballzofire   LizardsAreOnlyMyLife   Brenner   Jared T   Kaylawayla09  
 Member  Message

Greatballzofire
View Profile

9 New Babies!

In the incubator for 54 days at 81 + or - degrees Fahrenheit.

9 eggs.

9 babies! This is Sky’s second clutch born October 1st.
Her first clutch of six (hatched August 23-24) are all doing great, getting big on crickets.

10/02/08  12:47am

Manderzratz
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 1872914

9 New Babies!

i’ve never seen such tiny fences! they’re so cute!

10/02/08  09:08am

Reptileruler1
View Profile

Message To: Manderzratz   In reference to Message Id: 1873033

9 New Babies!

cool my fence lizard eggs hatched a month ago I gave all but one away what you going to do with all of yours

10/02/08  06:59pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Reptileruler1   In reference to Message Id: 1873356

9 New Babies!

Quote:

what you going to do with all of yours

Next spring I plan to build a large outdoor habitat for them, big enough to walk into, like an aviary, only for lizards. I now have 18 babies from two clutches and three cat rescues, and 9 adults, also rescued from the cats. In the wild these little guys are near the bottom of the food chain. I want to provide them with a protected home where they can enjoy the outdoors without being on somebody’s menu!

10/03/08  08:56am

Manderzratz
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 1873763

9 New Babies!

oh awesome! it’s gonna be just fences? that sounds so cool but won’t you be overrun with babies after a while? hehe.

10/03/08  10:11am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Manderzratz   In reference to Message Id: 1873789

9 New Babies!

I’m just going to have fencies in the enclosure. At the rate I am going with these guys, I may well be knee deep in lizards by next year! My primary interest was Arizona Mountain king snakes, of which I have five babies, but the lizards are so much more entertaining that I am making that my main project, and will just keep the snakes because I already have them, with no plans to get more snakes. The snakes are beautiful, but they mainly stay hidden in their nests. The lizards are out and about all day and are very social with each other and with me. Some of them can actually be petted! And feeding them is so easy; they like crickets and crickets are cheap and easy to breed.

10/04/08  08:49am

Manderzratz
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 1874405

9 New Babies!

that’s awesome. i wish i could see babies but i don’t think fences are natural to my area.

10/04/08  01:25pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Manderzratz   In reference to Message Id: 1874554

9 New Babies!

Link
There are Northern fence lizards in New York. Probably not as common as the Western fencies here in California, though.

10/04/08  04:25pm

Lizardsrock
View Profile

Message To: Manderzratz   In reference to Message Id: 1873033

9 New Babies!

manderzratz your really smart with fence lizards will you help me i have a medium sized one named JR and i have an adult named fred and i have a tank with grass, sand and a rock in there willyou tell me how to take care of them and wat they need i feed them mealworms and they love them?

10/11/08  09:26pm

Awesomeness
View Profile

Message To: Lizardsrock   In reference to Message Id: 1879085

9 New Babies!

hey guys, where did you get your first fence lizards? I am looking to get one, i know what to do to take care of them and all, but i just cant find them for sale anywhere...

If someone can help, or even sell me one, that would be GREAT

Thanks

11/11/08  08:19am

Lizardsrock
View Profile

Message To: Awesomeness   In reference to Message Id: 1896650

9 New Babies!

You can catch them and you can maybe look online for some for sell.

11/11/08  05:12pm

Chorro
View Profile

9 New Babies!

Congratulation! They are so cute and look healthy, too. We had four different clutches in last May and June(anywhere in between seven eggs to thirteen eggs of each clutches) in our back yard, though we only could identify only five new born babies, due to nature environment. Over dry July, or over wet by sprinkler, birds or racoon’s dag up, etc. These fives are so far healthy and running around our back yard, on steps and trees in hill side showing there pretty faces almost every day(adults started winter aggregation, but juveniles are still active), once in a while sunny days, I give crickets when I see them. Your eggs were lucky to be well protected by you. All the best and I wish you have a great WF lizard kingdom!

11/23/08  01:35pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Chorro   In reference to Message Id: 1903618

9 New Babies!

Hi, Chorro,
Thanks! I still have all my babies; 9 from one clutch, six from another clutch and 3 rescued from cats, a total of 18 babies. I have them in a 105 quart sterilite tub with a screen top and a Zoomed light for when I can’t put the tub outside for natural light.

An old picture of one of my lizard tubs. I have cut a hole in the top for the Zoomed UVB lamp, for when the tubs are kept indoors in inclement weather. I’ll post a newer photo of the babies later. I also have 9 adults, four in one tub and 5 in another.This spring I will sort the adults into breeding pairs and do the same thing again, incubating clutches. They have not fought over territory, as there is plenty of food. I watch for anyone who would be not fairing well, but they all are fine. I also plan to build a large enclosure for them all so they will have a year-round protected habitat. They eat a lot of crickets, but then I always have crickets hatching, so no problem feeding them. I have had no casualties and everyone is plump and peppy! In the wild the mortality is as high as 90 % for neonates. My lizard project is not what would occur in nature, but then keeping reptiles is in general an artificial construct, with attempts being made to create as much as possible a comfortable environment for our little captives.

11/25/08  09:26am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 1904592

9 New Babies!

Lounging under the Zoomed light; today is a rainy day. They also have a mini UTH under the area of their cardboard hide. The saucers you see are the crickets’ food and water crystals. The lizards also like fresh water, so they have a bowl with some ivy cuttings and a rock, so they can get a sip. The big cardboard thing next to the water bowl is covering the vermiculite tub for the crickets. The crickets seem to like to congregate in the moist vermiculite, which makes finding them very easy for the lizards.

11/25/08  11:09am

Geckos1218
View Profile

9 New Babies!

omg soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute and small amd stuff
i love baby fencies they taste good ..........

12/02/08  05:30pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Geckos1218   In reference to Message Id: 1908132

9 New Babies!

May I have 1?

06/05/10  09:37pm

Ljstrand
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2153502

9 New Babies!

whats in that incubator?
can you give me steps and what materials? that would be great!!

06/18/10  08:06pm

Hfs3
View Profile

Message To: Ljstrand   In reference to Message Id: 2156777

9 New Babies!

What are you feeding the babies? I have one adult and I feed it crickets and just got a baby today and am unsure of what to feel it. I tried catching many small bugs and found a baby cricket but wondered if there was something easier to feed it

07/15/10  11:50pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Hfs3   In reference to Message Id: 2162906

9 New Babies!

I feed my babies pinhead crickets. Although before I began raising my own crickets I had to go out and find ants and termites for a little fencie I had. This was such a job of work I decided to raise my own crickets and be assured of having a good supply.

07/16/10  08:22pm

Slyone
View Profile

9 New Babies!

hi newbie here my female just had a clutch but she buried them in the wood chips under a rock.is it OK to let her and the male in the tank.I’m from pa and i just found them .

07/19/10  09:51pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Slyone   In reference to Message Id: 2163640

9 New Babies!

You can carefully excavate the eggs out of where she buried them and put them in a container of moist vermiculite, and let them develop in a safe place out of reach of the adults. A tiny hatchling is about the same size as an adult cricket; yum yum!

07/20/10  08:05pm

LizardsAreOnlyMyLife
View Profile

9 New Babies!

Awwwww.... There so cute.... Congrats your now a mother/father. lol

But anyways there really cute!

P.S. FYI I’m a boy.

08/02/10  04:25pm

Brenner
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 1873763

9 New Babies!

Hey i have some fenced lizards that laid a couple eggs, what’d you make your incubator out of just curious? cause ya i’d love to see these be able to hatch into little fence lizards

06/27/11  05:56pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Brenner   In reference to Message Id: 2226853

9 New Babies!

I haven’t seen Greatballzofire active here in a while, so I will answer with what I can remember.

She used a Styrofoam cooler, a temp controlled germination mat that has a probe, a wire grill so that the egg bin sat above the germination mat and not directly on it, and a bubbled envelope for shock absorbance just in case; it sat between the egg bin and the wire grill. She also used a Tupperware container for the egg bin.

And oh yeah, moist vermiculite for the egg bedding.

06/28/11  08:11am

Kaylawayla09
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2226907

9 New Babies!

beautiful babies! i had my female lay 18 eggs,most of them unfertile but only 2 were fertile,both hatched, i kept one(that was 3 years ago) and now he died of old age.

07/11/11  01:05pm

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area