Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Feeder Food Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Adam L   Chameleon_man   Adam L   Chameleon_man   Chameleon_man   Rokdog   Dragonkeeper6547   Adam L   Dubia Dynasty   Adam L   Dubia Dynasty  

Member  Message

Adam L
View Profile

Worst Case Scenario?

I’m considering starting a Dubia Roach colony but I am extremely hesitant to pull the trigger. I read one story on here that a person’s cricket colony escaped after their UTH somehow burned a hole in the plastic tub and released all of their crickets. If a worst case scenario like this were to happen and an entire colony of Dubia escaped inside my house, (Be it a hole in the tub or the tub being knocked over somehow) what would happen? I know that most people say they wont be able to infest because they need at least 80 degrees Fahrenheit but couldn’t they just find a warm spot like under the cable box or some other electronics which easily give off some major heat? I know that it is unlikely that they would even get out in the first place but if they did, even if it wasn’t the entire colony, I could see them infesting with ease. Why couldn’t they?

05/25/12  03:15pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2267630

Worst Case Scenario?

dubia roaches are the BEST roaches to have trust me. lol my friend keeps his in a 55 gallant tank with no lid. he has a decent size colony. If you think that is just a waste of tank space then get a large rubber made container with tall sides. but burning a hole in a container like that is vary strange there had to be something els wrong. that should never happen. just to be safe I would recommend getting a tank. I personally think it would be worth it in the end. I actually keep 2 dozen in an extra tub I have in my snake rack and then do just fine.

05/27/12  11:23pm

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2267929

Worst Case Scenario?

I had read that they may be able to climb to corners in a tank because of the aquarium sealant. Do you have any problems with this? Also, What do you use for heating yours?

05/28/12  09:44am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2267955

Worst Case Scenario?

I have never had a problem with that. If the tank or tub gets to dirty they can climb but normally not that hight I just called and asked him and he said that none of his have ever tried to get out that way. I guess to be safe then sorry glue something to the corners about half way up. or just keep a good lid.

05/28/12  10:21am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2267956

Worst Case Scenario?

oops sorry he and i use an under tank heater for tank. I think he also uses a small watt bulb that is not to cold and not to warm for the other side of tank.

05/28/12  11:12am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2267965

Worst Case Scenario?

must of used a cheap tub or his heat pad malfunctioned...

I have raised fed-off & sold at least a million dubia in the past 3 years
& have no problem as to infestation.
of course your gonna get a few escapee’s once in a while though they
are found shriveled up & dead with-in a week as they need high humidity(above 60%)
for them to survive.....
if your house has a humidity level higher than 50%, you would have a much bigger worry than a roach infestation, as "toxic black molds" would be breeding wild in your living space.

P.M. me for more info as I sell them too...........

05/28/12  11:20am

Dragonkeeper6547
View Profile

Worst Case Scenario?

If you’re really hesitant about starting a colony in your house, why not start one in your shed, garage, or other outdoor structure? It wouldn’t be as big of a problem if they got out. Now, think through the benefits, then the cons. You could also use a glass aquarium like me. Secure it to the wall just to make sure they will never get out. Hope this helped.

Peter

10/01/12  06:18pm

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Dragonkeeper6547   In reference to Message Id: 2281834

Worst Case Scenario?

I started my colony about 1-2 months ago and at least 1 of the females just had her first clutch of nymphs 2 days ago.

10/02/12  07:07am

Dubia Dynasty
View Profile

Worst Case Scenario?

I ordered my small starter colony Friday. In a day or two they should be In, I’m Starting off with two cheap small tubs and going too get two small colonies started. They are going too be in my closet about 3 ft. away from my bed. Myself I’m not too worried But I’m here with ya, i’ll keep you up on how my colony is going.

10/28/13  08:20pm

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Dubia Dynasty   In reference to Message Id: 2301975

Worst Case Scenario?

This was more than a year ago. I have more than 700 adult females in my breeder colony now along with thousands of nymphs and thousands more nymphs in another tub. I’ve only ever found 1 nymph outside of the tubs and it was in all likelihood dropped during a cleaning and would have died before it was even 1 inch. You will not regret buying Dubia.

10/29/13  12:39pm

Dubia Dynasty
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2301984

Worst Case Scenario?

Awesome!!, i hear they are the better feeder option. Didnt know these were old posts i was bumping but hey lol. I actually dont even have anything too feed yet, i havnt made up my mind on what i want too get. Im leaning for a few cresties but i just like experimenting.

10/29/13  11:29pm

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area