Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Feeder Food Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Yaksha   Voguestar   Yaksha   C3_4_quad   Yaksha   Voguestar   Yaksha   Cphill58   Puddy  

Member  Message

Yaksha
View Profile

Alternative to roaches?

is there a good alternative to roaches? i live in Canada and they are illegal to have here so i was wondering if anyone new another good food source (not crickets) to raise

11/22/10  06:32pm

Voguestar
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2189041

Alternative to roaches?

what are you feeding? Super worms can make a good feeder. Or silkworms... hornworms....

11/25/10  10:10pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Voguestar   In reference to Message Id: 2189509

Alternative to roaches?

i am feeding a roughnecked monitor, and believe it or not he is afraid of worms

11/25/10  11:22pm

C3_4_quad
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2189516

Alternative to roaches?

Have you tried small and medium sized b dubias?

11/26/10  01:01am

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: C3_4_quad   In reference to Message Id: 2189525

Alternative to roaches?

As i said that is the problem roaches are illegal in canada therefore i cannot even try them .. that is why i am looking for another alternative

11/26/10  09:09am

Voguestar
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2189547

Alternative to roaches?

Ha!! A monitor afraid of worms, heh silly!!

Quote:

Diet
Roughneck’s diet consists of mostly insects, but they will also feed on small prey. Insects can include: Crickets, mealworms, wax worms, silkworms, super worms, roaches and butter worms. Whole prey can consist of appropriate sized rodents, quail, fresh water crabs and shrimp, frogs and ground turkey with egg.

I just copied this above paragraph from ReptileUV.com
Unfortunately I do not know anything about monitors. But Iam sure that a pinkie mouse or even a fuzzy would be a good feeder. And mice are easy to breed, if you can stand them smell they make...Hopefully this helps a little...goodluck!!

11/26/10  07:35pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Voguestar   In reference to Message Id: 2189603

Alternative to roaches?

yes thank you he eats a wide variety .. and for insects he likes crickets but i need a lot to feed him and it is kinda funny watching a 4ft lizard chasing down crickets. so i was just trying to look for a larger insect that he can give chase to..

and yah it is also crazy to see a 4ft lizard cower around a 2inch worm. when ever i bring them near him he completely shuts down.. lays flat and closes his eyes and wont move till i take them away haha anything else and he charges for it... i have almost lost a finger a time or two .. but worms of any kind and he shuts down haha

11/26/10  11:28pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2189627

Alternative to roaches?

I know this thread is a month old now ...funny thing we sent some roaches to canada anyway to a friend in Mannitoba...we thought for sure they would never make it customs and all... OMG they made it through and she now has the illegal feeders.....LMAO

There are a few breeders online in canada you have to search hard on the internet. I hear getting a permit can take forever...??

Cp

12/12/10  03:34pm

Puddy
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2189627

Alternative to roaches?

Hi
I you to own a few Savannah monitors which I found the most docile.also had a water monitor who was nasty.I started the babies on pinkies.some cooked hamburger.earthworms.can monitor forod until they got bigger.then it ate hoppers ,rat pups,small frogs,fish.

03/09/12  01:40pm

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area