Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Feeder Food Forum

Rebecca Wright   Cphill58   Rebecca Wright   Cphill58   Rebecca Wright   My fella bella   Rebecca Wright  
 Member  Message

Rebecca Wright
View Profile

Frozen rodent question...

We are having sucess with our breeding mice, our black female had 6 babies (5 of which survived) and our tan female is about to pop any day now, we have decided to freeze a majority of the babies since the reptiles we supply don’t demand all those pinkies at once and I am wondering how you guys package your frozen pinkies and how long they last in the freezer? I can’t seem to find information on this anywhere lol, we have 3 6 day olds in the freezer atm and plan to put them in ziplock bags shortly (right now they are just in a sealed plastic container) also how many pregnant females do you think is acceptable to keep in a 10g tank? we currently have 3 females (and 1 male when they are breeding) in our 10 gal and someone told me that was way to small and that it was against usda standards? lol thanks in advance :)

06/06/10  08:18pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Rebecca Wright   In reference to Message Id: 2153795

Rebecca,

The 3 to 1 ratio is perfect ...sometimes 4 or 5 to 1 is OK also if you have a larger enclosure.

For the pinkies it is perfectly fine to put them in a zip loc baggie and put them in the freezer. The idea of a small food storage container is fine too. They are said to be good up to a year with my rats and other rodents that I freeze. Try to rotate the stock , using the oldest first.

Come over to the Mice Rats and other small rodents forum and get some ideas on tub enclosures from GreatBallzOFire

Tub enclosures

Cp

06/07/10  10:46pm

Rebecca Wright
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2154128

Thanks, I have used those before but was actually thinking of trying to build something like the rat racks you see around with the cement tubs as the "cage" and wood as the frame, I found with the rats at least that the tub idea tended to stink really fast lol... and living in an apt we need as little stink as possible!

06/07/10  11:06pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Rebecca Wright   In reference to Message Id: 2154136

I raise rats primarily ...then I was asked to do mice. They stink a lot more than my rats. I am an owner of a used rat rack and as soon as I finish the out buiding I will copy it and build more...I have the auto water feeding system and that was worth the 50.00 I paid for the 10 cement tub system. For mice I have no idea what to do about the odor...clean every 4 days our house them outside somewhere. Fan ventilation or something??? I wish I knew what the larger breeding facilities did....probably a hi- tech ventilation of some sorts.

Best of luck

Chris

06/08/10  03:19am

Rebecca Wright
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2154171

Yeah mice tend to stink, the males are really bad sometimes! but if you add a drop of vanilla extract to their water bottle it does help the smell, not sure why lol... in our mice’s case I think we need to up the cleaning a little and get them into something better ventilated the glass aquariums arent great with ventilation, probably smell better when we do the rack thing lol

06/08/10  02:40pm

My fella bella
View Profile

Message To: Rebecca Wright   In reference to Message Id: 2153795

Answered Frozen rodent question.

Well if i were you i’d keep them in the freezer for about 24 hours. and keep them in a big enough bucket. with a sealed lid on top. then before you feed your reptile put the pinkie in a hot glass of water for 30 minutes. and you could put another mouse in their. about atleast four females.

06/08/10  03:31pm

Rebecca Wright
View Profile

Message To: My fella bella   In reference to Message Id: 2154283

Answered Frozen rodent question.

thanks, and yeah we keep them in there a min of 24hrs before sending them off to be food but I was wondering how long they would be able to stay in the freezer before they wouldn’t be that good to feed off anymore ? like whats the shelf life lol

06/08/10  03:54pm

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area