Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Feeder Food Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Computerkid26   Getscared   C3_4_quad   Rokdog   Chase1   Rokdog   Doghobo6   Zephon  

Member  Message

Computerkid26
View Profile

Blaptica dubia roaches.

Here are my feeder Dubia cockroaches, also known as "Orange Spotted Roach". I started out with one hundred and now a year later they populated to over a thousand. I keep them in my room so no external heat source was needed.

01/31/10  04:59pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Computerkid26   In reference to Message Id: 2119078

Blaptica dubia roaches.

I want to start a small colony to feed my gecko but I have a phobia of roaches...

09/26/10  04:12pm

C3_4_quad
View Profile

Blaptica dubia roaches.

This is a cool post I have been using crickets I just purchased some small and extra small the first week of August going on three months so I want to be done the same your path that you were on. Would like to establish a nice colony I am feeding three adult leopard geckos but I’m gonna have to wait until the second generation but I also want to get a small head start so I can put with the ones I have right now. Right now they’re pretty much all mixed sizes that have grown out since I have had them I have them in a 10 gallon enclosure glass with the heating pad on the bottom side and covered with construction paper on the sides a black of course. Pretty much just provide food and water and heat and have been leaving them alone. Thanks for posting your pictures would like to get a container like that it’s much easier and I don’t have to worry about breaking and it looks pretty thick

10/10/10  12:03am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: C3_4_quad   In reference to Message Id: 2180033

Blaptica Dubai roaches.

Nice Job. I started out w/100 10 months ago and now have at least 5,000 of them. If you keep there temps btwn 85* - 90* degrees Fahrenheit they will breed like crazy. Also feeding them oranges will stimulate them to breed more often. I also raise/breed Madagascar Hissing Roaches that require the same husbandry conditions as the Blaptica’s and can be bred/kept in the SAME enclosure as there smaller cousins. "Hissers" are available @ FlukerFarms.com and make interesting pets and a quality food source for larger reptiles for when fully grown they can reach 4" - 5" inches in total length and they can live up to 5 years.

10/10/10  05:31pm

Chase1
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2180133

Blaptica Dubai roaches.

how many animals do you feed with them. what do you feed them???

10/10/10  06:46pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Chase1   In reference to Message Id: 2180144

Blaptica Dubai roaches.

The roaches are fed quick oats(same as regular oatmeal but already chopped up) ground up dog & cat food(protein source with-out it they will cannibalize some of their young) crushed cereal "Wheaties" & "Frosted Flakes" (as they have a "sweet tooth") this makes up their staple diet. For treats cut-up apples, oranges and carrots two days a week. Can’t leave fruit in too long(12hrs.) for if not eaten it will attract pests (fruit flys, nats, ect). I raise them in 45 gallon plastic "sterlite" containers w/CVS brand $10 dollar heating pad under container to regulate heat. I use "water crystals" for their water/humidity source...........I go thru about 20 - 25 Blapticas a day for my 4 CWD’s(Chinese Water Dragons) and at this time only one of my CWD’s is large enough to eat an adult Hissing Roach. He’s a year old and 30"s inches long and weighs about 500 grams. My clean up crew- 2 bufu americanis toads- eat any stray roaches which aren’t many as my Dragons eat out of my hand, I also have a 2 year old Red Foot Tortoise that will take one on occasion.............In the past I used to raise/breed crickets though found it not as cost effective as breeding roaches for crickets only live up to 8 weeks before they die off. Crickets also make quite a bit of noise, their colony gives off a "smell" and they don’t eat as wide of a variety of foods as roaches....hence NOT AS NUTRITIONALLY COMPLETE. Blaptica’s can live up to 18 months, grow to 2" inches and can’t climb plastic or glass. Madagascar Hissing Roaches can live up too 5 years, grow to 5" inches and CAN climb plastic so a "Vaseline" barrier is applied at the top of colony enclosure to discourage escapes. Hope this helps answer your question....Happy Herping

10/10/10  08:25pm

Doghobo6
View Profile

Message To: Chase1   In reference to Message Id: 2180144

Blaptica Dubai roaches.

hey rockdog can i order soem from you. Im trying to establish my own colony as well. i have 2 CWD and 1 beardie. You can personal message me

12/03/10  10:48am

Zephon
View Profile

Looking to start a colony.

I have a bearded dragon. an am looking to start a colony of roaches to feed her.

03/25/14  02:50pm

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area