Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Feeder Food Forum

Lizardworld   Rokdog   Lizardworld   Rokdog   Lizardworld   Rokdog   Lizardworld  
 Member  Message

Lizardworld
View Profile

A Few Dubia Roach Questions

The reptiles i have right now are:
1 Adult leopard gecko
2 Baby leopard geckos
2 bearded dragons
1 eastern painted turtle
I am gettin an argentine b/w tegu soon and I am filling up the rest of my leopard gecko rack(about 10 geckos).

My questions are how many dubia oaches should i use to get my colony started?

Once my colony starts going good will i have enough of these guys to feed all my hungry mouths and still have enough to keep the colony going?

Will all my lizards eat dubia roaches? Will the turtle eat the roaches?

Lastly I live around Philadelphia say a few of these guys get loose. Are they going to infest my home? Is it even possible for them to infest my home where i live?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

01/06/10  09:39pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Lizardworld   In reference to Message Id: 2111426

Gonna want to get at least a 150 - 200 assorted size starter kit with at least 10 adult females(breeders) and 3 - 5 adult males. They will probably arrive already prego and if your conditions are right with-in 14 days notice new additions to the colony. With in 4 mos under proper conditions (Heat/humidity) you will have a couple thousand. Most reptiles love em and they come in various sizes as they molt and increase in size. They are tropical roaches and need temps in the mid 80*s to low 90*s to breed so infestation is unlikely. They are however not allowed to be shipped to Florida. A couple good suppliers are www.TheRoachGuy.com out of Virginia & www.BuyRoaches.com out of Chicago and after searching their sights they should answer any additional questions. Some times you will find sellers on you local Craig’s List. Their is a little more start up cost with setting up a Dubia colony however the upside IMO is greater than breeding feeder crickets for they don’t make noise, they don’t have as much of odor, they live longer(up to 2 yrs) and are more nutritionally complete. Oh and they can’t climb plastic or glass nor do they fly.

01/06/10  10:03pm

Lizardworld
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2111434

Thank you so much for the information. I was mainly worried about the infestation. And I read dubias are slower breeders. Is that true?

01/06/10  10:23pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Lizardworld   In reference to Message Id: 2111440

More of a medium speed breeder as each breeder female should produce btwn 20-40 live young per month. Adults are easy to identify as the males have full wings and are slimmer and the females are thicker with stubby wings so this makes it easy to id them so your not feeding off your breeder females.

01/06/10  10:38pm

Lizardworld
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2111442

Thanks so much for the help, I think ill switch from crickets to roaches now.

01/06/10  10:56pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Lizardworld   In reference to Message Id: 2111450

I wouldn’t totally take crickets out of their diet as variety is important. Though having 2 growing beardies and a Tegu on the way Dubia’s are definitely the better choice. One important suggestion if you are to start a breeding colony.....be it mealworms, superworms, crickets or roaches is to make sure their DRY FEED STAYS DRY ie. oatmeal, wheat flakes, crushed dog/cat food ect. If it gets wet just 1 time your colony will be at risk of mold contamination and or Grain/Flour Mite infestation. Some molds produce AFLATOXINS and if eaten or just walked on by your feeder insects they can poison your reptiles. The insects themselves won’t show affects of AFLATOXIN poisoning. Flour/Grain Mites are a PITB all to themselves. I’ve had to throw out many thousands of mealworms and substrate containing countless eggs because of putting a slice of potato on the substrate surface. If your gonna provide moisture via potato or apple slice or piece of lettuce place it in their container just for 1 afternoon to limit infestation risk for if you forget about it over night you may be invaded. These invaders, once in the colony will subsist by feeding off the moisture of the feeder insects or harvest moisture from their eggs layed in the substrate. With Dubia’s and crickets I use water crystals in a seperate container at one end of the tub and another container with dry feed at the opposite end. When giving them moist fruits or veggies I simply place them in the water crystal container.

01/07/10  09:10am

Lizardworld
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2111518

Sound good thanks

01/07/10  09:26pm

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area