Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Feeder Food Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CaseyGoneCoastal   Dragoneyes   Tefoe   CaseyGoneCoastal   Tefoe   Bullfrog706   Doug2   GotFrogz   GotFrogz   Deandy   John scott   Jimrythm   Scott.   Scott.   Scott.   Newbie88   Naja-naja   Coach C   Coach C   Swtmsdixie   Apwillis96   7Dseven   Puppykemp   LadyJustice@gmail.co   Jamestown715   MorganWinney  

Member  Message

CaseyGoneCoastal
View Profile

Feeder toads

Ok- Im sure everyone is tired of seeing postings about trouble with feeding eastern hognose snakes (especially the little ones). Therefore, I will save the time in explaining my situation, as Im sure youve already guessed it.

My post, however, is geared more along the lines of raising feeder toads. As all proud parents of easterns are aware, it is nearly impossible to find anyone who raises and sells feeder toads. The entrepreneur in me is thinking that maybe I should start raising American toads for sale.

This, of course, would be my first time pursuing such a venture, so I dont actually have any idea what to expect. I would greatly appreciate some feedback from the herp-enthusiast community on pros/cons, tips on getting started, marketablilty, etc... I already posted this message on the Hognose forum, but Im thinking Ill get more hits here.

PS- And if anyone has any small American toads for sale as feeders, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Ive got hungry mouths to feed. :-)

11/15/07  11:34am

Dragoneyes
View Profile

Message To: CaseyGoneCoastal   In reference to Message Id: 1514740

Feeder toads

o_O dont those release toxins from them pouches behind their eyes??? I had one and it oozed poison every time I frightened it.

11/15/07  08:21pm

Tefoe
View Profile

Feeder toads

Not to put a needle in your idea........

Who would buy your toads?

most keepers take the time to switch their easterns because theres nothing like rodents to feed your snakes....

Anyway,its not hard to breed them.....
Just get a few toads,let them dry out a few days,then mist them for a day,then introduce them into a tank with about 6in of water with a bit of land,and watch them breed!!!!!!

11/18/07  01:50pm

CaseyGoneCoastal
View Profile

Message To: Tefoe   In reference to Message Id: 1518468

Feeder toads

You typically dont want to feed Eastern hognose snakes a diet that consists exclusively of pinkies. Im sure its been said before that mice (pinkies especially) are exceptionally fatty compared to amphibians. Your Easterns run the risk of developing fatty liver disease if you feed them only mice. Thats why most people raise Western hognose snakes instead. They tend to metabolize the excess of fat more effectively than Easterns.

It is because of that trend (the tendency to raise Westerns instead of Easterns because of feeding complications) that I had the idea to raise breeder toads. I just find it odd that tons of other people arent already doing it. I figured that there had to be a catch... some sort of complication unforseen by me that keeps people from capitalizing on a glaringly obvious notch in the niche.

Thanks for the advice on breeding necessities!

And Im still looking for feedback, so any and all would be greatly appreciated. Im not even going to touch this endeavor until Ive thoroughly researched.

11/19/07  04:33pm

Tefoe
View Profile

Message To: CaseyGoneCoastal   In reference to Message Id: 1519949

Feeder toads

Im not sure exactly where youve gotten all of your info, but as long as your feeding properly there isnt any problems feeding easterns rodents...
Iv raised several clutches of them over the years, all fed strictly rodents, and never had a problem..

One of the reasons why youll find that no one capitalizing on the seemingly boundless profits to be made in toad breeding,is the one large one Iv already given.....
That most breeders/keepers understand that there is nothing like feeding rodents to your snakes...

11/21/07  02:44pm

Bullfrog706
View Profile

Message To: Tefoe   In reference to Message Id: 1522097

Feeder toads

feeder toads for sale if you are still interested
dime size to adult size
small or bulk

thanks
nathan

05/18/08  10:07pm

Doug2
View Profile

Message To: Bullfrog706   In reference to Message Id: 1739666

Feeder toads

How much are the toads and would you sent me a breeding pair so I can breed myself.
Currently I do not have anything to feed them to but I may get axleotles and feed them the Tadpoles.
Could I feed them to a corn snake?

P.S. Aren’t those poisonous?

06/24/08  12:04am

GotFrogz
View Profile

Message To: Tefoe   In reference to Message Id: 1518468

Feeder toads

I would buy his feeder toads I am in dier need of some!!! LOL

09/04/08  11:38am

GotFrogz
View Profile

Feeder toads

Quote:

feeder toads for sale if you are still interested

Nathan are you still selling feeder toads??
I am looking for some.

-Michelle

09/04/08  11:40am

Deandy
View Profile

Feeder toads

Are you still selling toads and what kind are they?

• [Link][Image]

• 09/06/08  01:12pm

John scott
    View Profile

Message To: Deandy   In reference to Message Id: 1852795

Feeder toads

need to find toads for small hognose, willing to buy them, but where,,,,,,,

09/23/08  09:00am

Jimrythm
    View Profile

Message To: John scott   In reference to Message Id: 1866435

Feeder toads

if you live where there are wild toads, find one, rub it on a pinky, then the hognose will eat it,trust me we have a baby hognose over here and it wouldnt eat untill we rubbed the food item on the toad

09/26/08  09:12am

Scott.
    View Profile

Feeder toads

I’m interested in buying feeder toads in bulk, if you still have them. - Scott

10/30/08  11:11am

Scott.
    View Profile

Feeder toads

I know it’s been a year since you posted. I had been buying toads from another seller, but he was catching them, not breading them. The supply is so unreliable that I think I’m going to start breeding them myself. (Not something I’m looking forward to) Anyway...this probably isn’t useful feedback. But it would be nice to have a source. I’d like to get a breeding pair of hognose’s, but I gotta feed ’em.

Scott

11/02/08  08:13pm

Scott.
    View Profile

Feeder toads

Hognose’s that feed exclusively on rodents develop a fatty layer around the liver. (A lot like cyrosis). I don’t know if this effects how long they live, but it would effect how long I live. I’m glad you don’t have any trouble getting your hogs to eat rodents. Mine goes through phases. He’ll eat for 10 weeks. Then he won’t eat for 16. Then we force feed him for 5. Meanwhile, I’m trying to come up with other ways to get him to eat. It’s like feeding a four year old.

Scott

11/02/08  08:28pm

Newbie88
    View Profile

Feeder toads

need a small feeder toad i can freeze to scent pinkies for a certain stubborn hognose !!

01/28/09  07:59pm

Naja-naja
    View Profile

Message To: Newbie88   In reference to Message Id: 1941845

Feeder toads

IM LOOKING FOR TOADS BAD I HAVE 0.0.3 EASTERNS AND I DONT WANT TO FEED THEM PINKS IF ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET SOME OR HAS ANNY PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    THANKS BRANDON

10/04/09  11:13pm

Coach C
    View Profile

Feeder toads

Do you still have feeder toads for sale and how much are they?

12/04/09  01:27pm

Coach C
    View Profile

Feeder toads

Nathan, Do you still have feeder toads, and how much are they?

12/04/09  01:54pm

Swtmsdixie
    View Profile

Feeder toads

I am interested in buying feeder toads if you still have some, let me know

12/22/09  10:39pm

Apwillis96
    View Profile

Feeder toads

I would be interested in feeder toads if you are still selling them.

09/16/11  12:32pm

7Dseven
    View Profile

Feeder toads

I realize this is an older post, but..... I too am searching for feeder toads. I am now breeding eastern hognose and have tried everything to get the babies to eat. Yes I have tried rubbing a pinky on a toad and no, they did not eat it. Have tried tuna and chicken and braining etc. Have tried live versus f/t too. No luck. I was able to get half of them to eat red wigglers which had been suggested. Not what I would like but happy they ate. I live in a residential area and can find the occational toad but its an adult, and I need lil bitty toads. I dont wish to breed toads if someone else is doing it. I would rather just buy them. If anyone is selling them, I would love to know about it. I do plan to switch to mice and yes I have heard about the whole fatty liver issue but I have also talked to 2 long time breeders, one of which is also a reptile vet and they both assure me, they have never seen any health issues due to feeding rodents. Long as what you feed your hognose is what they consider "clean" food.

~ Shannon ~

10/17/11  12:29pm

Puppykemp
    View Profile

Feeder toads

Do you still have feeder toads? If so how much and how soon can you ship?

12/08/11  07:31pm

LadyJustice@gmail.co
    View Profile

Feeder toads

Looking to buy tiny feeder toads. Please post link or message me.

02/09/13  02:03pm

Jamestown715
    View Profile

Feeder toads

can i get you to contact me about tiny toads? i have hatchling hogs i need to feed. 5049142749. you can call or text. 3 of the clutch has died due to not eating. im catching trouble. tyia

08/16/15  07:11am

MorganWinney
    View Profile

Feeder toads

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_dwarf_frog & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_clawed_frog - Frogs that may be a good options. I have not researched breeding them, and i did not turn up any poisonous factors in research, but, so far, they seem to be good choices; still looking into it since this is hardly an overwhelming amount of information.
    I’m looking to breed for cat food, along with mice, anoles, geckos, earthworms, fish, crickets, and more (wild cats eat lots of bugs, for some it can be half the diet, and bugs can be healthier than other meats). Thought I’d post what I’ve found so far, see if anyone has any tips or more info specific to breeding frogs aside from feeding something else as I’ll already be doing that too and insist on variety, (and as for the snakes, the frogs sound healthier so why steer people away? Some people are okay with the extra work and don’t always want the up-front easy way.) Anyway, point is, suggestions to go with mice are not what I’m looking for and will not help anyone learn how to breed amphibians, so it’d be greatly appreciated if replies to this stayed true to the care and raising of feeder amphibians if replying to this. Positive tips towards the other feeders and more feeder options are welcome as well.
    Thanks in advance to any replies if any ^-^ .

05/28/16  11:00am

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area