Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Feeder Food Forum

Lets_Get_It   789   JackAsp   Lets_Get_It   JackAsp   Zascary   789   JackAsp   DRW85   Dociledragons  
 Member  Message

Lets_Get_It
View Profile

Which are the top three best

which are the best feeder roaches when it comes to nutritional value and which are the best when it comes to taking care of the such as breeding...

08/28/07  07:09pm

View Profile

Message To: Lets_Get_It   In reference to Message Id: 1423276

Iím not sure the nutritional value of each species. A good bit of that will come from what you feed them.

Lobsters are very easy to breed as they reproduce fast but will climb glass.

Lateralis are supposed to breed nearly as fast but do not climb glass. I had problems with them.

Dubia are said to reproduce fairly fast and do not climb glass. No personal experience with these though.

08/29/07  01:53am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: 789   In reference to Message Id: 1423898

How a big a roach do you want? What are you feeding? Iím pretty happy with both Death Heads and Six Spotteds. Neither can climb or fly, both are live bearing, they seem to live together no problem, and theyíre different enough in appearance in texture to provide some variety. Actually, until they grow up and hit puberty, the Death Heads look and crunch like yet a third species, although they probably all taste similar due to eating the same diet. The Death Heads breed faster but have a higher mortality rate as adults. Once they develop wing trouble the end is near, so thatís when I feed the adults off. Otherwise, unless thereís a population problem, I stick with the larger nymphs and let the adults keep breeding. The Six Spots seem to be indestructable but simply havenít proven themselves to actually be as prolific.

09/01/07  01:25pm

Lets_Get_It
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1428098

im feeding a bearded dragon that is about a foot long... i want sumthing thats nutritous and that isnt going to b hard for me to bread....

09/01/07  05:37pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Lets_Get_It   In reference to Message Id: 1428365

I would start with Death Heads. Their only problem is that if itís dry the adults wings get screwed up. So watch humidity and if you see and injured one, use it as food before it dies. If you donít have any injured ones, then until the population takes off leave the established adults alone anfd just feed nymphs, which are easy to differentiate by their orangey, banded appearance and complete lack of wings. Nymphs get about two inches long and very beefy before growing wings, so even while youíre avoiding adults youíve ot a good-sized food item, but a beardie can still eat an adult.
No advice onwhere to buy them though. I got a really good deal at a reptile show from someone who was having a big "Get all these roaches out of my house" sale.

09/02/07  01:14pm

Zascary
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1429255

what about madagascar hissing??

09/06/07  07:39pm

View Profile

Message To: Zascary   In reference to Message Id: 1434219

Death head or false death heads?

Iíve got some hissers, slow growing, slow breeding. People say they end up with too much shell when grown, plus they can be like 3" long. Would have to feed nymphs.

09/07/07  03:04am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: 789   In reference to Message Id: 1434594

As far as Iíve been able to research, theyíre true Death Heads, although they might be a hybrid of some kind. About three inches long, clearly defined thorax marking, young that get HUGE while still in that armadillo-looking nymph stage, as far as I can tell they seem to be exactly what they were sold as, despite the price tag. Easy to raise and both the toad and the skink love them. The skink is afraid of the adult six-spots because their legs are kind ofscratchy, although she loves the nymphs and the cane toad will eat the adults, but with the DHRs, either animal will eat either adult. The skink has to bite the adult Death Heads a few times to break them up a litle before she actually starts eating, but she apparently likes them enough that she will. A bearded, Iím sure, would just snap them up and eat. Their wings are no tougher than a cricketís.

09/07/07  05:08pm

DRW85
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1435155

http://www.doubleds.org/contactus.html
This web site has a chart on the bottom with nutrition facts on crickets, worms, and roaches

05/24/09  11:53pm

Dociledragons
View Profile

Message To: Lets_Get_It   In reference to Message Id: 1423276

o that’s easy.. the Dubia is first.. then Blaberus boliviensis, no common name.., not as common but breed fast and are smaller.. otherwise everything is the same.. just ordered some.

02/07/10  07:24pm

Back to Feeder Food Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area