Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Exotics Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jo   Matatoro   Jo   Matatoro   Jo   Leopard&gecko   Trinafoo2   Gecko boy12   Manderzratz   Gecko boy12   Niccitine   Ghastly   Jameznova   Jameznova   Dword420  

Member  Message

Jo
View Profile

Lemmings!

does anyone own any lemmings??? has anyone any info on them please?

05/07/05  12:23pm

Matatoro
View Profile

Message To: Jo   In reference to Message Id: 335422

Lemmings!

Hey lemmings are wierd I live in Alaska and they are everywhere up here! They are incredilby stupid animals, and yes they have very little brain power I have watched fifty plus lemmings just up and run over cliffs, attack moose, muskox, etc. I watched a lemming come out of his hole a couple of years go walk right up to a fox and bite the foxs paw. They are cute but really dumb!

05/09/05  05:07pm

Jo
View Profile

Message To: Matatoro   In reference to Message Id: 337335

Lemmings!

That is so funny . I picked two up from my local pet shop at the weekend. I like unusual pets so when I saw them I had to have them.There are very few people round where I live that own them. I must say they are very sweet tho.I tried to get some pics of them but they just will not sit still long enough.

05/09/05  05:24pm

Matatoro
View Profile

Message To: Jo   In reference to Message Id: 337366

Lemmings!

Hey your profile says your in Uk but your saying you live in Alaska? Im confused as to where you are? But yeah they are pretty cute. They are really dumb though. You what is fun find something like a piece of food that they like and start teachingthem to follow it, once they have learned that if they follow you they will get food you can let them out in the house and they will stay right behind you. I used to do that in the summers you go out throw some crumbs and the whole colony will learn to come out for food and you can walk around with like 20 of them following you. Well congratulations on your new pets

05/09/05  09:56pm

Jo
View Profile

Message To: Matatoro   In reference to Message Id: 337656

well about the location thing.I live in the uk.I cant seem to get rid of the alaska thing.lol. yeah i cant wait to teach them some tricks. I tried offering them food but they seem more interested in my fingers. Still early days. But they are cool.

05/10/05  03:21am

Leopard&gecko
View Profile

Message To: Jo   In reference to Message Id: 335422

Lemmings!

Yes i do own Steppe lemmings!
every one thinks that they are very cute as pets!
they are cute but i would not recommend any one to keep them as pets As they are not.
there is very Little info about them. and what is around seems to be incorrect a lot of the time.
pet stores will tell you to keep them like a hamster they are nothing like hamsters!they need a lot a lot of space even a ten gallon tank is to Small for one! just think that a colonie of 3-4 lemming live in the wild on one acre!!!
they will die if they are not happy. they are not loners what means they dont like to be alone, but you can not say lets buy a second one because they choose there own companions! if they dont get on they will fight till death!!

i can give you a lot of info to much over this forum but if you are still interested mail me:

06/14/07  01:31pm

Trinafoo2
View Profile

Message To: Leopard&gecko   In reference to Message Id: 1318346

Lemmings!

Lemmings DO NOT jump off cliffs!!!

12/16/08  06:46pm

Gecko boy12
View Profile

Message To: Trinafoo2   In reference to Message Id: 1915603

Lemmings!

Yes, they do.

12/17/08  07:17am

Manderzratz
View Profile

Message To: Gecko boy12   In reference to Message Id: 1915917

Lemmings!

they don’t. they push each other sometimes when crowding into an area. so some in the front may sadly fall to their deaths but they don’t commit mass suicides or jump off at all. that is not true.

12/17/08  12:30pm

Gecko boy12
View Profile

Message To: Manderzratz   In reference to Message Id: 1916018

Lemmings!

They still end up falling to there deaths.

12/17/08  03:07pm

Niccitine
View Profile

Message To: Trinafoo2   In reference to Message Id: 1915603

Lemmings!

Actually yes they do... or at least Norway lemmings in Scandinavia do. Lemmings have strong migratory instincts that are driven by a strong biological urge. This happens when an area becomes over populated and so a large group of lemmings will migrate to find new ground. occasionally large migrating groups will reach a cliff over looking the ocean. They will stop until their instincts push them to continue and jump off the cliff and then swim to the point of exhaustion and die.
The myth of lemmings randomly committing suicide in groups came about from some guy making a comic out of it... look it up on wiki... that’s how I found out =D

09/22/09  05:26pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Niccitine   In reference to Message Id: 2075019

Lemmings!

Cheers Niccitine you cleared that up for me on the Norwegian and scandanavian Lemmings :)

09/25/09  03:39pm

Jameznova
View Profile

Lemmings!

i dont see you understanding what you see.they use team work to perswade an animal thousands of times there size to get off there feeding grounds and home whats so dumb there? could you do that with a bigger brain?

01/07/12  10:31pm

Jameznova
View Profile

Message To: Gecko boy12   In reference to Message Id: 1915917

Lemmings!

yeah watch out for that alfa male who whooped up on him sending him fleeing to fast to know he went over the side in the panic trying to get away??

01/07/12  10:34pm

Dword420
View Profile

Lemmings!

Just watched a Lemming going nuts on a camera on utube... Too cool :o)
I Want some, I’m from Australia though.

04/03/13  01:49am

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area