Exotics Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

ClareWillett   Eris   ClareWillett   Reptiloving  

Member  Message

ClareWillett
View Profile

Exotic Pets

Hi and I need some opinions on exotic pets! I plan on adopting an exotic animal to care for as my own. I work at a zoo and have plenty of experience with them, but since it will be living in my house and not a specialized enclosure, I will need some opinions of what kind will work best. primates are out of the question thats for sure, but Im open to any other ideas! I live in Ohio so any animal that is legal to own in Ohio would be great!

03/31/16  08:49am

Eris
View Profile

Message To: ClareWillett   In reference to Message Id: 2317648

Exotic Pets

I am not sure that I can think of an exotic pet that would be good having free range of a house. Unless you would consider a domesticated animal as exotic, like pot belly pig or Bengal cat. For the animals own safety and safety to other pets in the house, an appropriate enclosure should be used.

04/03/16  08:41pm

ClareWillett
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2317696

Exotic Pets

If I need to build a cage or holding area I don’t mind, by specialized enclosure I mean I don’t have millions of dollars to build a replica of the Amazon Rain forest or the African Savannah complete with a heated pool or a rain system.. I am thinking about large reptiles or parrots, I found a website that sells supposibly "domestic foxes" and other animals such as gators, marmits, ferrets, and other exotic animals.

04/06/16  06:21am

Reptiloving
View Profile

Message To: ClareWillett   In reference to Message Id: 2317722

Exotic Pets

great starter reptiles are bearded dragons, leopard geckos, and crested geckos. Bearded dragons are the largest and need the biggest tank, which means they cost more. I bought my beardie and everything she needs for around $500. Crested geckos are probably next, because they thrive in exo terra tanks, which are expensive, but aren’t completely necessary; from experience, a 10 gal on its side works great for juveniles. They also require lots of plants to climb on, but they have an extremely easy diet; a premade ’reptile smoothie’ which you can buy from pangeareptile, and others. Leopard geckos are probably most basic, but don’t make the mistake of housing them on calcium sand or any kind of wood chips, marbles, soil, etc. I’ve heard that eco earth doesn’t cause impaction, but to stay on the safe side, I suggest paper towel. They also require 2-3 hides, and sometimes an under tank heater.

If you need any additional info, message me back and I’d be glad to help(:

05/02/16  05:00pm

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area