Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Exotics Forum

Vegatarian_luvr   Shelbysmom  
 Member  Message

Vegatarian_luvr
View Profile

Other Pigs For Pets??

i know lots of ppl like pot belly pigs but wat other pigs do most ppl have for pets?

12/06/09  07:38pm

Shelbysmom
View Profile

Message To: Vegatarian_luvr   In reference to Message Id: 2102089

Other Pigs For Pets??

There are many different types of pot bellied pigs. The smaller the pig the more money. I have raised 6 pigs. 4 of the pigs I have raised I sent them to auction since they are feeder pigs which means they were bred 4 food. Those types of pigs get to be about 1000 pounds and they can become very mean. The other 2 pigs I have that are my pets are pot bellied pigs. Mine are about 200 pounds and they come up to the middle of my calf. They are very dosel and sweet and you can lay on them just scratch there tummy and they will lay down and you can slowly lay on them. They eat pot bellied pig food which is about $13 for 50 pounds of food that last about a month or more. The vet bills run about $700 each time cuz I have to have a vet come to my house since mine are now full grown and not that easy to transport. When my first pot was a baby I use to take here every where since she was the size of a mini daschaund. Now back to your question about different types of pigs? Each color of the pig is a different breed a lot of people don’t know that and they just sum it up into pots or feeder pigs. There are wild pigs as well which I’m not to familiar about. I just know of feeder and pots. I did mention pots come in different sizes that is because of how they were bred. In other words they are designer pigs. They can get pricey, they can cost as much as $2000. My first pot my mom searcher for her since I was devastated on my last feeder pig. He got sick and I nursed him back to health and I had to auction him off which killed me. I cried the whole time. So my mom search for my first pot and I have had her for 11 years and she is a healthy girl and so loving when it comes to me sometimes my mom but not as much. Now how I found my second pot is a funny story. My mom and I went to our first goat show and there happened to be the humane society behind it. Well I went to go look at the animals being noisy and I found my second pot daisy. I went and got my mom and just had her go look at her. Well she was sitting in a hole and there was a donkey who wanted to take her spot well she wasn’t going to let it go and from that moment my mom said we have to have her. We asked the people who worked there how we would go about adopting her. They said they just picked her up and we had to wait a week. My mom and I called and went by there everyday to make sure she was still there. We finally came to the adoption day and I paid only $5.00 yes 5 bucks. We took her to the vet 4 her shots which was 30.00. It was that cheap because she was already in the car and I went to that vet. Yes vet bills are cheaper if you can take them into the vet. My pigs are separated since pigs love to fight with each other. Yes I have been bitten by pigs before it doesn’t feed to well but it happens and they didn’t hurt me. If I wasn’t able to answer your question I’m sorry and your best bet is to google it. Since google knows everything. If you have any questions just ask. Oh and pigs can live up to 30 years.

12/16/09  12:45pm

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area