Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Exotics Forum

SUM IT UP   Ammeratsu   SUM IT UP   Fairy Frog Mother   LizaB2008   Butane  
 Member  Message

SUM IT UP
View Profile

Wolf?

Hello im thinking about getting a wolf hybrid or a german shepard what should I get? my friend has a wolf hybrid and he is amazing and my mom had over 10 german shepards. So what should I get?

12/04/09  06:38pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: SUM IT UP   In reference to Message Id: 2101553

Wolf?

If you’re looking for a social animal to be your friend, get a German shepherd. Wolf hybrids tend to be less social and less dog-like.

I would recommend a German shepherd. Really good dogs.

12/06/09  04:34pm

SUM IT UP
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2102027

Wolf?

Thanks I should be picking up a german shepard in a month or so.

12/07/09  11:34am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: SUM IT UP   In reference to Message Id: 2102253

Wolf?

My sister was given a wolf hybrid- 3/4 wolf about 14 years ago.

Chance was a great animal. Very social and loving. Not an alpha at all. Sadly she (my sister) was in a small apartment and pregnant. After she had the baby, he became restless and needed more excercize than she could give him. ( he was used to running with her as she roller bladed for miles a day which kept him well excercized and pretty pooped by the time they got home)

She ended up giving him to a friend who he adored, and who adored him who had 30+ acres for him to run on after he ate her entire living room set, a dining room table leg and part of a wall in one afternoon out of boredom.

Wolves and wolf mixes NEED to have lots of things to chew and room to run. If you cant provide that, its not fair to the animal to have one.

01/08/10  03:55pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2111892

Wolf?

Wolf hybrids make great companions if raised, notice I did not say pet. These animals are not domesticated and require special care. Alot of Veterinarians will not even take a wolf hybrid in to be examined, so you will require an exotics vet that has specialized in them. Wolf hybrids get up to the height of your average Great Dane and have jaws that crushed bones with a 500 lb bite force. These are animals that must be taken seriously. They need to be taken away from their mother and bottle fed before they are two weeks old. After their eyes are open, who ever is raising them is who they recieve the most impresion from. The need to be socialized with both human and canine alike, you don’t want to bond to one human because that becomes their mate, they will think of that person as their sexual partner and will protect that persoin, even if it means death.

If you are not up to the task, A german shepherd is your best choice, even and alaskan malamute. Not a wolf/ wolf hybrid.

03/28/10  01:11pm

Butane
View Profile

Message To: SUM IT UP   In reference to Message Id: 2101553

Wolf?

My parents raised wolves for conservation purposes as well as had wolf hybrids as companions (75% wolf, 15% malamute) I do agree they make lovely companions but will never truly be like a lap dog, they are true to their pack nature and heirarchy system more than your average run of the mill shepard or husky, think and chose wisely about these animals before you get them.

04/03/10  11:24pm

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area