Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Exotics Forum

SamanthaAK   Skullkeeper   SamanthaAK   Skullkeeper   BooBoo   SamanthaAK   Senshokukiba   SamanthaAK   BooBoo   Senshokukiba   SamanthaAK   Rockdad  
 Member  Message

SamanthaAK
View Profile

Skunks??????

i am getting a skunk very soon and i have a few questions.

i am thinking of getting two is it better to get one then wait to get another of get them at the same time and age?

how do i litterbox train it?

how do i harness train it?

how do they get along with dogs and birds and other animals?

what are some good toys?

and the vet we use has some skunks and said something about a ferret rabies shot should i or not?

what exactly do you feed them?
i know general diet but who do you personally feed your skunk

05/01/09  10:19pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: SamanthaAK   In reference to Message Id: 1996622

Skunks??????

I can tell you that they are timid animals . They are easily frightened . I would not allow them to be around any dogs or other animals . I would ask your vet all questions since he has several.

05/12/09  06:07pm

SamanthaAK
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2003193

Skunks??????

i have but not all skunks are alike so i want other opions

05/12/09  10:23pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: SamanthaAK   In reference to Message Id: 2003454

Skunks??????

You might check out the website Link Personally I do not think its a good idea to own skunks , foxes, or raccoons .Most states require you to get a permit, live out side the city limits and have it neutered and vaccinated . Be sure to check the laws/regulations where you live .

05/14/09  06:51pm

BooBoo
View Profile

Message To: SamanthaAK   In reference to Message Id: 1996622

Skunks??????

Sorry if this seems blunt, but you need to wait on getting a skunk until you KNOW everything about them...and apparently with all the questions you are asking, you don’t know much about them. IT IS ILLEGAL IN MOST STATES TO OWN A SKUNK AS A PET, BECAUSE THEY ARE HIGH RISK CARRIERS/HOST FOR RABIES. I am a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and am required to get pre-vaccinated for rabies. Also, it is ILLEGAL for practicing veterinarians to de-scent skunks, unless they get a special permit/license from the US Dept of Health, Agriculture, or Board of Veterinary Medicine. Skunks also require a very special diet and grooming issues. Here are a couple of websites, professional skunk people, who can better answer your questions:

http://www.skunk-info.org/

http://www.skunkhaven.net/
THIS LINK IS GREAT....YOU CAN LOOK UP YOUR STATE AND SEE WHAT THE LAWS ARE REGARDING SKUNKS.

Please, please, please, educate yourself and make sure you can give a skunk the care it needs to live a happy, healthy life. I have owned several, and they are amazing animals. If you would like to talk to a skunk professional, just send me a message and I’ll give you the numbers. Good luck!!!

Here is a pic of wild baby skunks I rescued:

Here is Petey-Pants (RIP) I miss him terribly:

Kellie
Kritter Haven Wildlife Rehabilitation™
email:

05/29/09  12:33pm

SamanthaAK
View Profile

Message To: BooBoo   In reference to Message Id: 2013016

Skunks??????

well thanks i guess but it is legal for me to have one in my state and even if it wasnt i have a wildlife permit i raise and release wildlife also i am raising a baby bird now i just released some squirrels last week and some opposums before that i have been to both website already and i just wanted some more input from people who have had them and i am getting from a licensed breeder
so thanks but i know

05/29/09  03:16pm

Senshokukiba
View Profile

Message To: SamanthaAK   In reference to Message Id: 2013095

Skunks??????

You’re planning to purchase a skunk, despite the fact that you haven’t taken the time to learn about them? That’s not something someone with a permit to rehabilitate wildlife would do.

Does your state just hand permits out to those who ask politely?

05/30/09  05:26am

SamanthaAK
View Profile

Message To: Senshokukiba   In reference to Message Id: 2013406

Skunks??????

i am not gonna defend myself if you will read it you will learn i have done a ton of research and i am still doing research because i believe you can never learn enough and no my state doesnt hand out permits it take alot to get one

05/30/09  03:04pm

BooBoo
View Profile

Message To: SamanthaAK   In reference to Message Id: 2013603

Skunks??????

In what state are you a licensed wildlife rehabber? If you are, what is your permit #? For someone who rehabs animals, you sure did have alot of questions in your original post.....you should know those questions.

Kellie
Kritter Haven Wildlife Rehabilitation™
Arkansas Game & Fish Commission
Little Rock, Arkansas
MY PERMIT # 27
feel free to check out my credentials

06/01/09  08:51am

Senshokukiba
View Profile

Message To: BooBoo   In reference to Message Id: 2014446

Skunks??????

Thank you, BooBoo.

Something’s telling me she won’t be able to answer that question.

06/01/09  05:33pm

SamanthaAK
View Profile

Message To: Senshokukiba   In reference to Message Id: 2014676

Skunks??????

i am not completly sure what its my moms i am 16 i will ask her when she wakes up though i know we can have almost anything except raptors and large cats
myself and my mother have raised almost anything but i know it is legal to have skunks
where we live we finally decided to get one

06/02/09  11:45pm

Rockdad
View Profile

Message To: SamanthaAK   In reference to Message Id: 2015541

Skunks??????

I had skunks around for over 10 yrs. Be prepared for maintaining a proper diet and attention to them or you wont have it for long, have a bad experience and without a recommended diet a skunk passing early from liver disease. Unless you grow your own fresh veggies ect. you better factor in that cost every week. They out live wild skunks 2-3 yrs avg life span by a whole lot under a controlled diet. There is a host of great care sheets on the net. I personally have had great success following the famed "Skunk Lady"s mode of skunk raising and care.
Finding a vet nearby isnt always an easy task. I in fact need to sell our 4 yr old skunk do to upcoming travel from now on and am starting to look for someone with prior skunk experience. Good luck.

07/06/09  02:47pm

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area