Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Exotics Forum

WolfRin   Senshokukiba   The White Wolf   Drminia   MissSkyTheGecko   Flamingflower   Flamingflower   Senshokukiba   Dragonlover78   The White Wolf   Zck0500   Gecko boy12   Primal_Heart   LizaB2008   LizaB2008   Primal_Heart   LizaB2008   Cherrykins   LizaB2008   Cherrykins   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

WolfRin
View Profile

Attention all wolf lovers

"One of the best wildlife recovery efforts in recent history is the reintroduction of the gray wolf into the northern Rocky Mountains. The couple of dozen animals released into Yellowstone Park in 1995 has astoundingly grown to about 1,500 gray wolves now roaming freely in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. With this great success, the gray wolf will be removed from the list of endangered species. But hold on a second: A recent government initiative, altering the face of the Endangered Species Act, says that each state can only protect 200 recently protected wolves and 20 breeding pairs. This change means that up to 900 recently protected wolves can now be hunted and killed! So grab a pen, write your legislator, and urge him or her to close this sad loophole in the current policy before it’s to late."

Article from Healthy Pet Magazine - Summer of 2008

07/09/08  10:38pm

Senshokukiba
View Profile

Message To: WolfRin   In reference to Message Id: 1789156

I love wolves to death, but I support hunting them.

Wolf populations are stable now. There’s nothing wrong with removing a small fraction of wolves.

There was a post very similar to this that was made by some animal activist. It ended up having several hundred posts on it.

07/11/08  01:37am

The White Wolf
View Profile

Message To: Senshokukiba   In reference to Message Id: 1790797

I too am a wolf lover. I don’t concur with entertainment hunting but I will admit in some degree that it is tolerable. It depresses me that even after the gray wolves are at a stable population,I feel it’s not enough to keep the population alive. I believe that some people may go exceedingly beyond the limit with hunting the wolves and may degrade the population again. But yet, we can’t predict the wolves future at this rate. Just my speculation.

07/11/08  01:00pm

Drminia
View Profile

Message To: The White Wolf   In reference to Message Id: 1791214

I don’t think there is a reason to shoot them. Now I’m not a everything is scared person but there are other ways to deal with the "problems" wolves cause. If you record a pack howling and play it on a speaker when you here a wild pack howl the pack will leave after a while. I only think that is necessary if you have livestock in danger. Other then that they take care of deer destroying tons of crops, and other issues. Such as keeping coyotes away witch will hurt your pets as to wolves wont eat your family dog unless they are starving. If you think I’m just an idiot I just had to put my pet wolf to sleep ( yes I had a permit ) because of a sever medical condition. He kept the coyotes away from my other pets and small livestock. He even groomed my baby rabbits. I know that’s rare but they don’t need to be shot.

07/12/08  05:33am

MissSkyTheGecko
View Profile

Message To: Drminia   In reference to Message Id: 1792147

I don’t think they should be killed. I don’t think anything should unless it is for food. Wolves take down the sick dear, elk, etc. So it’s not all about the wolves but also the animals around them. If there are less wolves to take out the sick animals, then they will all suffer. But that’s not the only thing. It just isn’t necessary.

07/13/08  03:11am

Flamingflower
View Profile

Message To: MissSkyTheGecko   In reference to Message Id: 1793339

I also do not believe it is necessary to kill them. They help to keep down the population of deer and other animals, and they could end up critically endangered- again.

07/13/08  02:24pm

Flamingflower
View Profile

Message To: Flamingflower   In reference to Message Id: 1793653

Not to mention the all of the natural beauty they have and add to the land. It would be a sad situation indeed if they were allowed to be shot and killed.

07/13/08  02:28pm

Senshokukiba
View Profile

Message To: Flamingflower   In reference to Message Id: 1793657

Here’s a post I made on a thread with a similar topic. I created this a year or two ago.

Quote:

There’s nothing wrong with trimming the population of wolves! In most states, wolves aren�t considered endangered any more.

I visited my mother in Idaho awhile ago. During my visit, I discovered that Idaho was going to allow wolf hunting. Idaho wanted at least 100 wolves and ten differant breeding packs. Some thing like that. Idaho had about 600. Just because a small fraction of wolves is being removed, it doesn’t mean that people have to create a petition.

Most people are only starting petitions like that because wolves are their favorite animals. It’s true. If a wolf wasn’t an animal you liked, you wouldn’t care about wolves being hunted. People need to understand that wolves can be successful in the wild even if we hunt them.

To me, wolves are just feral dogs that run around killing livestock, howling, and competing for dominance.

Despite my negative opinions on wolves, they’re one of my favorite animals. However, I see nothing wrong with making a dent in the population of wolves though.

Many people don’t support wolf hunting because they look at wolves and see their dog(s). Well, like domesticated dogs, the wolf’s population needs to be controlled. We humanely euthanize dogs because they breed and reproduce excessivly. Wolves breed and reproduce quickly. In order to control their population, we hunt them. You can’t believe in humane euthanization and not believe in population control hunting!
Let’s say that in the future, humanely euthanizing an animal is illegal. Hundreds of thousands of animals are dieing on the streets because they’re starving and suffering from diseases. Humans are being attacked more often by dogs who see them as threats to their territory and dominance. Well, what if the same thing happened to wolves? What if you had wolves living in cities now because they’re wasn’t enough room for all of them. Do you see what I’m getting at? That might take a long time to happen, but it’s still a possiblity.

I look at those petitions and I think they’re a waste of time. Petitions like that don’t usually work. A petition similar to that one didn’t haveany effect on the hunting of wolves in Alaska several years ago.

I’ve got a question... Why doesn’t any one care about Coyotes? Coyotes are canines and look very similar to wolves. They live in small packs, establish ranks, howl, and tear animals apart too. Why isn�t any one trying to save the Coyotes? They’re being hunted down daily!If you’re sooo worried about wolves, than why aren’t you worried about Coyotes? It just doesn’t make since to care so much about wolves and then ignore Coyotes. Why aren’t Coyotes as popular as wolves?
Also, why doesn�t any one start a petition on Red Foxes?! They’re canines too!
Coyotes, wolves, and foxes are all canids. Why are people only concentrating on "saving" the wolves?

07/19/08  09:41pm

Dragonlover78
View Profile

Message To: WolfRin   In reference to Message Id: 1789156

wolves aren’t killed for their meat, not usually i would think. they’re killed for their fur, or otherwise nothing at all, just sick, sick fun. we humans have preoblems, so much that we go on killing animals who just barely reacheda good sum, and what will happen? overhunting, low pup production due to less wolves. doncha hate the human race at times?

08/21/08  02:51pm

The White Wolf
View Profile

Message To: Dragonlover78   In reference to Message Id: 1838361

lol Calm down.I understand you’re a little stressed about this topic,but I believe the government has a well future for the wolves (yes I have researched and changed my opinion about this topic).If there wasn’t enough wolves for hunting,the hunting would stop until the wolf population has risen.The wolf population is at a stable population right now.Besides I’m very sure that other animals are in more need than the wolves.

08/21/08  07:03pm

Zck0500
View Profile

Message To: The White Wolf   In reference to Message Id: 1838631

if a wolf is killing ure animals i say shoot the damn thing. but i wouldnt hunt one. if u even can a tag for them probably cost in the upper hundreds to thousands.

08/23/08  01:04pm

Gecko boy12
View Profile

Message To: Zck0500   In reference to Message Id: 1840310

just cause wolfs are so pretty dosent mean they should be exempt from hunting. there will still be plenty of wolves. a problem will come not from huners but from poachers if there is one.

08/26/08  03:59pm

Primal_Heart
View Profile

Message To: Gecko boy12   In reference to Message Id: 1843196

Wolves are predators. they will only sustain themselves at a population that the local food supply allows. top of the food chain, there is NO need to hunt these animals. there have even been studies shown that killing wolves or coyotes actually causes the local population to boost their breeding, therefor OVERCOMPENSATING for the loss of a member of the population. You do not hear about wolves running rampant, ever. but you DO hear about rabbits, deer, rodents, ect... ever think it’s because we still DO NOT HAVE enough natural predators around. People need to stop looking for reasons to shoot hamster brain.

09/13/09  12:47am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Primal_Heart   In reference to Message Id: 2071090

If humans don’t hunt the wolves and cut the popultaion down, they will begin to starve, the population will continue to grow they’ll kill off the prey and there won’t be much left for them to do but come on human properties and kill our livestock and even us if they are hungry enough. Same goes for the black bears, we already have them coming into towns digging thround trash trying to find food.

Some people do eat the meat of the wolves and don’t just use the fur. It’s not such a bad thing.

09/29/09  11:21am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Primal_Heart   In reference to Message Id: 2071090

I’ll break it down like this

If you release a pack of five out in to the wild, three females and two males
9 times out of ten only the alpha will breed, if the lower ranking females breed the alpha steels her pups
So you have one female having a heat every six months, breeding on each heat
She can have up to eight pups, more then likely only a few will servive, we’ll say three
She has two females and a male, one of her females grows up to be very dominant but can’t overturn mom, so her and one of the other males move out and start their own pack.
They have four pups survive in the first litter, while her mothers pack just had three more pups
Six months later they will breed again, the packs will grow bigger and bigger and bigger. until there are about 20 per pack and keep in mind some pups move on and start their own pack, so we have more packs, more wolves
We have a large population of moose and elk. These packs need to eat every day and because they are so large they’ll need to take down a few moose per pack a day to feed all of them, soon the moose and elk population starts to decrease dramatically and they are short on food. They have two options, move to new grounds or go into town. Wolves like to stay in the same area’s so they’ll more then likely decide to go into town and start nocking off the farmers cattle and sheep stock, this is taking away from our food supply, what are we going to do to feed ourselves, eat veggies???? If everyone in america became vegitarian we would never survive, there simply isn’t enough. So we’re going toi start killing off the wolve and eating them because there is nothing else, they’ve eaten almost all the moose and elk, rabbits and other small mammals are hardley enough for either popultion, the wolves will start to die off anyways because only the biggest and strongest get to eat and then we will be left with nothing.

Is that what you people want to happen??? Because if we don’t continue to cut the population down, that is what will happen. Some people have to big of hearts and don’t remeber we as and ecosystem survive in a food chain, humans are natural preditors to and we need to remember that, we don’t have sharper canines for nothing. If they kill off our food because they are over populated, we turn on them because we are smarter and stronger, and we’re hungry, so you people can either face it or get over it, because america is doing the right thing by down sizing the population.

09/29/09  11:40am

Primal_Heart
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2078189

Nature doesnt need us. the only reason it’s all out of whack is BECAUSE of us.

Wolves are a FRAGILE species. the reason they are an endangered species is because they DO NOT adapt to civilization. they arent like Coyotes. Wolves do not attack humans, unless they are sick, in some cases if they are raised like a pet dog, or if they are cornered and feel they have no choice. they just DONT attack us. they DONT hunt us.

Bears are not true predators, they DO hunt, dont get me wrong, but they are Omnivores, they forage, hunt, scavange, ect. So YEA they come into our world all the time. DIFFERENT species. and I dont think we should hunt them either. Ideally we should slow down on our own reproduction rate and stop invading every waking inch of this planet and give the poor animals some damn room to breathe!!

But that would never happen so lets just kill everything and suffocate the planet.

I dont think we are predators either. I dont like the idea of being a parasite, but if u think about it logically, human beings really do behave like earth’s parasites. okay INDIVIDUAL people do not, but as a WHOLE SPECIES, what do we do? We invade space, devour and destroy until a location is completely suffocated by us (example, big cities), then we spread, populate, devour, and the cycle continues. there is no end, no rhyme or reason, we pollute, we kill needlessly, NO predator on this planet acts this way.

But I can think of PLENTY of parasites that exhibit this type of behavior!!

09/29/09  09:36pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Primal_Heart   In reference to Message Id: 2078462

You’ve got life all screwed up. Have you ever studied wolves? Have you have gotten a chance just to observe them and their natural behaviors? I have, I have studied them in the wild and owned one as a pet. Wolves are not fragile by any means, they hold their own. They survive very well, their population went down because they were so over populated in the beging that they started killing each other off, because there was so little food to hunt, we tried doing them a favor by killing some off and relocting others to an area where there were more things to hunt. Granted humans went over board and killed way to many and that why they were endangered, but not the whole reason why.

Wolves feed on several species of deer, deer only have one offspring a year, when there are so many wolves they are killing at least two of these per pack a day, a day. The deer population begins to go down and further down until there aren’t many left. Soon the wolves begin to starve and die off, the stronger eat the weaker. So their population begins to decrease. Why not save them from doing this to themselves by killing off a few of them and keeping the population maintained. We could just let the starve, kill all the deer, then test your theory and see if the come into farms and kill the cattle and sheep....... HELLO this is why german shepherds and english sheep dogs were bred!!!!! Irish wolf hounds, ringin any bells, these were all bred because wolves were killing OUR live stock. OUR food.

As for wolves have been owned as pets, they are never going to be pets, NEVER, I had one. He was nuetered and still challenged me, attacked my other dogs, bit me when I tried to brealk up a fight. I had to get 60 stitches down my arm because he turned on me. And yes I did have him rehomed in a wolf rescue, I WILL NEVER RECOMEND A WOLF OR ANY OTHER WILD ANIMAL FOR THAT MATTER AS A PET!!! It is very stupid and careless, believe me, they do turn. I loved him, he cuddled with me, slept in my bed and then turned on me. Thats a pet everyone needs to have, yeah. That sound like a pathetic animal that can’t defend itself and it so fragile. Like I said in the begining, wolves hold their own. Look at arctic wolves, red wolves, timber wolves especially. They are thriving. As are the grey wolves.

Humans are not just cutting down the population for ourselves, we’re doing it for them, so the don’t become so overpopulated that they starve to death. You are defending a species that doesn’t need to be defended. As far as I’m concerned, humans aren’t hurting anything. We kill and eat dear becasue they are starting to overpopulate here in ohio, if we stopped doing that they would overpopulate, begin to starve, get sick and die off. This wouldn’t just be a few, like we kill, this would be damn near the whole population, because they are all starving and very few are strong enough to survive. Is that what you want for the wolves? For them to overpopulate, all starve and be to weak to survive? Is it? Because if thats what you want your worse then the people killing them for the better.

Tell you what

Quote:

Wolves are a FRAGILE species. the reason they are an endangered species is because they DO NOT adapt to civilization. they arent like Coyotes. Wolves do not attack humans, unless they are sick, in some cases if they are raised like a pet dog, or if they are cornered and feel they have no choice. they just DONT attack us. they DONT hunt us.

We have learned

Wolves are not fragile, they can survive on their own

The grey wolves are no longer endangered

Wolves are like coyotes, they are just bigger and stronger and it would be easier to kill a human, as a matter of fact, you hear more about wolves attacking then you do coyotes because coyotes run from us, wolves hold their own and challenge us because thats their territory

Wolves will attack humans more often when healthy then sick because they are defending what is theirs and are not backing down.

Wolves are not able to be raised like pet dogs, there is a reason we call domestic animals domestic and wild animals wild, wolves are wild they cannot be tamed!!!! They are smarter, bigger, and more territorial then the domestic dog. The dog did not come from wolves, they evolved from them, small heads and paws, not good for hunting, And are social to humans, that is not in a wolves nature whether you raised it or not. They will attack your friends and company when they come over because no one is welcome in their pack that wasn’t born into it.

They do not hunt humans, but if they feel your a threat to their territory, they will attack you, I saw a pack of wolves take down a black bear for coming onto their territory, tell me they won’t do the same to a human. Because I’ve seen that to.

I suggest next time you want to claim that a wolf is weak or fragile, you go study them first, observe their behaviors, their actions, and their lifestyle, follow them and watch. Then, if you truely believe they won’t attcked you, walk up to one and pet it, see if it doesn’t bite your hand off.

Humans are preditors, we hunt animals to eat.

Not all humans, not ever as an economy are at fault for the expansion of our world. China is one state and they have a higher population then all 50 states in america put together. Here is one you should try, have faith in your race, Hope for change, because it’s people like you who in the end will be the starving weak wolf that dies in the end.

09/30/09  10:30am

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2078629

My opinion is split on this topic, however, I do need to ask: Humans are the top of the food chain. We continue to reproduce despite the lack of food for us...millions are starving, we hear it everywhere. Are we being killed off simply because the human population is "stable"?

10/05/09  03:17pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2080539

probably should be, thats why the chinese are only aloud one kid per family.

10/05/09  06:43pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2080620

I just don’t see it right that people as a group don’t value their own life over others. Should we not be valuing all creatures lives as we do our own?

10/07/09  02:22pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2081440

Well, you have to face the math, we are preditors, they are preditors. We eat meat, they eat meat. If the start to over populate like us then thats compatition in food and we aren’t going to let that happen. I’m sure if all the humans died off there would be no problems but, my guess is we’re not going anywhere. Alot more people don’t respect the creatures, then do. So since we’re smarter and have weapons, we’re going to continue cutting their population. In some ways it’s better for the wolves, because then none of them starve and there is plenty for them, but then again when humans kill them they kill the stronger better looking ones who are more likely to produce. So it’s a win-lose situation.

10/07/09  02:35pm

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area