Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Exotics Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gottee guy   Crazygirl08   Emma0828   Ariana!   Janettech   Emma0828   Emma0828   Crazygirl08   BooBoo   Emma0828   Emma0828   Janettech   Crazygirl08   Emma0828   Crazygirl08   Emma0828   Janettech   Gottee guy   Emma0828   Crazygirl08   Robincooper3   Robincooper3   Jspangler110   Owens Mom  

Member  Message

Gottee guy
View Profile

Opossum

i have an opossum problem in my backyard and i caught one in a crab trap last night that i baited for it. i don’t want to kill it or anything and i’v always kind of liked them. could i keep it in a storage room/ small barn thing and get everything natural like in the wild and give it a rabbies shot at the vet and keep it as a pet? i know the basic care and everything or would it just be "proper to release it in a different location"?

02/12/08  09:00am

Crazygirl08
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1620555

Opossum

I would say that isn’t a bad Idea, is it human friendly or does it become agressive around you?

02/12/08  05:13pm

Emma0828
View Profile

Message To: Crazygirl08   In reference to Message Id: 1621054

Opossum

What I would do is take it to it to another location,I’ve heard they are nervous and they don’t make very good pets though.

02/12/08  06:10pm

Ariana!
View Profile

Message To: Emma0828   In reference to Message Id: 1621138

Opossum

My friend worked at a mini zoo and use to always hold this one opposum named Jerry. They can become really sweet around people and learn to come to a certain name. It takes some time though. Plus, Jerry was origanally wild, untill 2 years ago when he was full grown, digging through their trash that they caught him and tamed him.

02/12/08  09:51pm

Janettech
View Profile

Message To: Ariana!   In reference to Message Id: 1621564

Opossum

The best thing to do is release him. They can make good animals to keep. A WILD ANIMAL IS NEVER A PET. Opossums have tooo low of body temperature to get rabies so vaccinations are not technically needed because they do not get rabies. Would you want someone to take you from your house and lifestyle and put you in a doll house for the rest of your life? That is what it would be like for him. The only wild animals I think need to be in captivity is one’s that are rescued and cannot be released into the wild but are used as educational tool to help people understand what happens when people do bad things to them. I have a humane officer friend that has three coons. All are healthy and the only reason they cannot be released is because he domesticated them and did not act like they are wild animals. He uses them for educational purposes but I still don’t agree with it. That’s my views, and I am a licenced wildlife rehabber and all my animals are released no matter how much I would live to keep them. I hope you do the right thing and release him in a safer place away from your house.

02/12/08  11:03pm

Emma0828
View Profile

Message To: Janettech   In reference to Message Id: 1621678

Opossum

I’m sorry to disappoint you "Ariana!",but you can’t tame a wild animal.They may get use to you however, but tame(they are always wild even domesticated ones).You should release him.Don’t take them from there natural habitat unless there in extreme danger!I promise you they will be more happy in the wild and have more room to enjoy.Let me ask you something,If they are kept, will have a chance to mate.Probably not.In the wild they have this chance for this specific opportunity.No matter how much you get attached to it,it would be much happier in the wild.Here’s a story of mine,I caught this one baby anole when I was little and decided to keep it,it seemed to be tame in my opinion,but when I took it out side to catch some insects it
jumped off my hand and darted for the bushes.I tried to get him back on my hand but he continued to hide.I realized he was better off there.Everyone who is on this post if you are not a licensed rehabilitator, I would suggest you let the wild animal go.It’s better off.

02/13/08  07:42am

Emma0828
View Profile

Message To: Emma0828   In reference to Message Id: 1621889

Opossum

I’m sorry, error,"never tame"

02/13/08  07:44am

Crazygirl08
View Profile

Message To: Emma0828   In reference to Message Id: 1621890

Opossum

Janettech, You obvously don’t always know what your talking about. In the dog forum you said that dogs lick your face because it’s natuarl instinct, they do it to their mother so she will regurge...ha, I have been breeding dogs for three going on four years and not once, and I mean not once have I ever seen Kia regurge for her puppies, they nurse, from the mammary, like all species that are MAMMAL, This person never said that they wanted to tame the opossum, they said they wanted to keep it in their barn or shed, something like a natural habbitat and get it a rabbies shot. now if it is human friendly then I see absolutly no prob with that, I have wild animals living in my garage. As long as they don’t get under the car and don’t bother my animals we’re all good. So I see absolutly no reson why they can’t go get it a rabbies shot and let it live were it is narmally going to hang out anyways. As for regurge, in the canine species, dogs don’t do that, wolves do it but only after the pups have been weened, but can’t yet go out on a hunt. So do you research little miss/mr. vet tech. I swear, you’d think they taught you guys a little better being a proffesion that you have to work with animals in. But hey, I guess not. No you cannot always tame a wild animal, but it is possible. Depending on the species and age of the animal, yes, it is possible.

02/13/08  09:44am

BooBoo
View Profile

Message To: Crazygirl08   In reference to Message Id: 1621953

Opossum

I’m a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, RELEASE IT. It is a wild animal and should not be kept for any reason. Please do what is best for the animal.

Kellie
KritterHaven Wildlife Rehabilitation™

02/13/08  01:31pm

Emma0828
View Profile

Message To: BooBoo   In reference to Message Id: 1622116

Opossum

I definitely agree with "booboo" LET THE WILD ANIMAL GO.It’s much better off ,don’t take from it’s natural habitat.Have some common sense people.Yes, I understand that it’s hard but trust me let it go it’s much better off.And to the person who started this post ("Gottee guy") take the animal to a different location.DON"T KEEP IT.Not to be rude or anything.

02/13/08  04:30pm

Emma0828
View Profile

Message To: Emma0828   In reference to Message Id: 1622369

Opossum

Don’t be so harsh "Crazygirl".This site is for hobbyist to express their knowledge and information for certain animals .This is not for roughness.

02/13/08  06:33pm

Janettech
View Profile

Message To: Emma0828   In reference to Message Id: 1622562

Opossum

Crazy girl obviously does not know what she is talking about when it comes to wildlife. I made one mistake in the dog froum. I had my mind on birds when I was talking about regurge. Yes, dogs lick not for regurge but part of a submission to decide who’s alfa. Wolves do regurge in the wild for the pups. But I forgot you are the all and mighty BREEDER and know more than anyone else. You would think that if you were that knowledgable that you would not be breeding to produce more pups in this world to end up in shelters and rescues. I probably have more right to breed dogs more than you for what my dogs do but I don’t want to be part of the overpopulation of dogs.

When someone mentions that they want to have something as a pet doesn’t that mean that they want to tame them or am I just totally wrong about that? Please tell me all and mighty breeder. I guess you don’t think there’s anything wrong with it because you have THE WOLF. Also what type of wildlife are you keeping hostage in your garage. You could have said it in a nicer way but it does not matter to me how you act, it just shows people your tru colors. I will put my knowledge up to yours anyday, just because I made one mistake on the forum does not mean I don’t know crap. It is tru in another species I have been in the vet business for 17 years and doing wildlife rehab for 15. I don’t claim to know everything in the world but I know alot.
This is a section from a the Ohio Wildlife Center for you:
Yet another misconception is that if a wild animal is imprinted or socialized, it might make a good pet. While juvenile animals may appear cute and cuddly, when they grow up they will have natural urges that will make them unsuitable as pets. Imprinting can make an animal think that it is human, but does not remove its natural instincts. This is very frustrating to the animal. It is simply inhumane to deprive a wild animal of its natural behavior. It is also illegal to possess any native wild animal without permits from state wildlife agencies, and also from U.S. Fish and Wildlife to posses a native bird. Anyone illegally possessing native wildlife in the U.S. is subject to fines, imprisonment, or both.

Florida only allows you to keep eastern grey squirels for rehab under the supervision of a licenced rehaber. So you would be breaking the law to posess the opossum unless you went and got the legal permits which is difficult to have a completely healthy animal in captivity.

The right thing to do is relese the poor animal and let it go free. no matter how hard you try you cannot make the right living conditions for wildlife like the wild. Crazygirl - when everyone else says release it then he needs to listen to us especially when two of us are licenced rehabers. Are you going to show more tru colors in your next post???? lol.

Webster’s definition of a pet is: a domesticated animal kept for pleasure rather than utility. What pleasue do you get from a non tame animal that just sits in your garage?? Think about it.

02/13/08  09:14pm

Crazygirl08
View Profile

Message To: Janettech   In reference to Message Id: 1622876

Opossum

Quote:

The reason behind the licking is in dogs and other animals when the babies are hungry, they lick the mother’s mouth for her to regurgitate the food up. Most babies cannot eat the same food that a mom eats and therefore she has to basically prechew it up for them and then regurgitate it in a form the babies can eat. It goes for dogs, birds, wild cats, most any animal. It is there way of asking for food. Hope this gives you the answer that you are looking for. Cute pics.

I rest my case on that one.

As for keeping the animals hostage, I don’t you idiot, it is all snow and ice out so they take up residence in there. They are free to come and go as they please. I breed AKC registered Alaskan Malamutes, they have several contracts that must be signed before the new owner can take one of my puppies. One of those contracts being that if there should be any reason they cannot keep the dog they can bring it back to me their money will be refunded and the puppy will find a new home. The humane society has a list of the litters, their discriptions and the names of the people who bought them. And who, I mean who would be stupid enough to give away a dog to the humane society that they paid over a grand for? You?Both my malamute are champ. blood line and came from alaska, your dogs?

As for the wolves regurge...

Quote:

As for regurge, in the canine species, dogs don’t do that, wolves do it but only after the pups have been weened, but can’t yet go out on a hunt. So do you research little miss/mr. vet tech.

Thats what I said. So try and prove me wrong again. I don’t own a wolf, I own a wolf hybrid, there is a difference. Of course you wouldn’t know the difference because you don’t know anything about canines. I couldn’t give a big crap less if this person keeps it or not. You don’t have the autority or license to tell them they can’t. Maybe Booboo does, you don’t! And i could give a crap less if you were a a rehaber or not because you don’t know squat when it comes to doing waht i do for a living honey. As for being a vet tech, copy your degree and test results for me, post it, and I will believe you. Every body else on here lies, why wouldn’t you?

02/14/08  06:24pm

Emma0828
View Profile

Message To: Crazygirl08   In reference to Message Id: 1623863

Opossum

I don’t know what you’re talking about. Me and mostly everyone on this post especially does not lie.And could you be a little more kinder to each other and to the people on this post.Remember, this is someone else’s post who put it on here for help, not for arguments.Thanks.

02/14/08  07:12pm

Crazygirl08
View Profile

Message To: Emma0828   In reference to Message Id: 1623982

Opossum

I was just saying that i’ve caught quit a few people on here in a lie, Yes it would be respectful to help instead of argue but I really don’t like it when people twist my words around and use them against me. Janettech especially being that she doesn’t even know the simple mothering of a dog, a gog of all animals.

02/14/08  07:47pm

Emma0828
View Profile

Message To: Crazygirl08   In reference to Message Id: 1624047

Opossum

Yes, I understand your point but I would suggest if you want to settle this out between you guys I would recommend you e-mail each other on a different site so that it doesn’t interfere with the posting. Thanks for your cooperation though.

02/14/08  08:28pm

Janettech
View Profile

Message To: Crazygirl08   In reference to Message Id: 1621953

Opossum

Quote:

I see absolutly no prob with that, I have wild animals living in my garage

. I was not trying to prove you wrong on anything. But also this quote basically is telling people that you keep wild animals in your garage. as far as my dogs - I train and can raise (if I wanted to) top of the line police/schutzhund dogs. My dogs are used for the purpose of police work. I also help train local police officers and their dogs in protection and narc work. My dogs and I are also on standby for the police/sherriffs dept. to come out and help with searches if they need more dogs/help. Does not happen very often because we make sure the dogs are fit and taken care of properly so that we don’t have to use my dogs unless absolutely necessary. As far as not having the authority to do anything if he keeps the opossum - you have no idea who all my contacts are throughout the south and have the authority through the people I know to do something about it. Not that I will because that would be stupid, I can put my energy to something else. Also, people will turn something into the shelter no matter how much they paid for it if they want to. We found a dog at the shelter, and by tracking thetattoo, it led us to the breeder and the puppy at 6 weeks old was sold for 4500. so tell me that people won’t turn in dogs that they paid good money for to the shelter. I do commend you however about your contract that the dogs come back to you. anyways, this is my last post on this matter and whatever. i am her to get info and give info on what I know, granted I made one mistake on the species we were talking about - had birds on the brain - but at least it is true to a species and I was not telling a lie. You seemed to have convenietly left out pics of these prize Malamutes from your pics. You never know you could be lying about things also. Also what is this great and wonderful job that you have that is way better and makes you more knowledgable than me??

02/14/08  09:52pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Janettech   In reference to Message Id: 1624247

Opossum

I had to let it go anyways and it was kind of skittish but not much of an agressive biter.

02/14/08  10:38pm

Emma0828
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1624322

Opossum

You made a very excellent choice.I’m glad

02/14/08  11:09pm

Crazygirl08
View Profile

Message To: Emma0828   In reference to Message Id: 1624366

Opossum

I have no pics of them, my digital camera was borowed by a friend and not returned, I’ll buy on the next time I’m out. I am a registered nurse, working in the OB ward over 60 hours a week. Unlike your average vet tech i went to school for four years, not two. And i am going on to finalize my degrees. Like I said, why would my buyers take their pups to the pound when they can just bring them back and get their money back. They also have to have them spayed or nuetered, I check on that after a year and if the gog has not yet been fixed, I take it and get it fixed or they give me my puppy back. My fiance’ is in the K9 unit, he runs background checks on all our new owners before they can take a pup, that way we know if they’ve been brought in for animal abuse charges. My breeders are now spayed and nuetered and are just common house dogs now. I had pics of them on my old computer, and Kia’s litters. All of the puppies had malaky’s colors but a few, who were red like their mama. If you don’t have to prove yourself to me, I don’t have to prove myself to you. I love german shepherds, awsome dogs, but my fiance’ made the mistake of bringing his, sarge, home with him and lets just say.....malaky put that dog to shame. Imagine that, I guess it was all a size thing, could be wrong. I’m sorry that you didn’t know anything about dog mothering, it’s not in a K9 dog trainers discription, and you probably haven’t bred any dogs so....I was wrong for that. All I am saying is next time look it up before you give off false information, and i will take my own advise as well. I am done also and have a nice day.

02/15/08  09:33am

Robincooper3
View Profile

Opossum

It is illegal for you to take an animal out of the wild and confine it to any enclosure. If you want what is best for the Opossum, you will release it. If it means taking it away from your property, so be it. I am a licensed wildlife rehabilitator in NC and I had to get special permits to have an Opossum in captivity. The one I have was badly injured and not releasable. If you are interested in having an Opossum as a pet, there are a few breeders in the United States that do have Virginia Opossum. You may still have to get a permit depending exactly where you live.
Keeping a wild Opossum in Captivity can lead to many health problems. They can develop metabolic bone disease if the percentage of Calcium and Vitamin D in their diet is not correct. They also harbor a number of nasty intestinal parasites and no vet will treat it for you since you are breaking the law.
Opossum are almost NEVER able to contract the rabies and distemper virus therefore, vaccinating one can cause more harm than good. The normal blood temperature of one is so low, the virus cannot survive in its system...

Hope all this information helps. Please release the Opossum.[

02/26/08  07:28pm

Robincooper3
View Profile

Message To: Robincooper3   In reference to Message Id: 1639172

Opossum

Now I see the Opossum has been released. I am so glad. I would have noticed that earlier before I posted but, all the aggressive/rude postings made me stop reading. This is a forum for sharing information and advice. I thought so at least. There is a way to express your feelings without being so aggressive and harsh.

02/26/08  07:33pm

Jspangler110
View Profile

Message To: Emma0828   In reference to Message Id: 1621889

Opossum

Well I am sorry to "disappoint you" Emma but i do happen to know for a fact as a opossum owner, that i did ketch in the wild that, you can tame wild animals. I have a 4 month old opossum that i caught in my back yard when he was only about a month and a half to two months old and i had to feed him with a eye dropper but he is a beautiful creature and is as tame as he can get. I leave his cage open during the day so he can roam in and out as he pleases and when i pick him up to play with him he will sit on my shoulder and walk around my house not to mention that he is also leash trained so that i can put a little harness on him and walk him around town when we decide to go for a walk. he is also litter box trained so that we don’t have to worry about him going potty in the house, he is wonderful with my children and wife and loves to do little tricks and to get treats that he gets when he is a good boy. so you see they can be tamed and as long as you feed them a proper diet they can be healthy and happy in captivity.

06/27/11  11:02am

Owens Mom
View Profile

Opossum

Virginia Possums make WONDERFUL pets ! My babe recently went to Possum Heaven after living a long long life with me. I am seeking another baby female Virginia Possum asap. Can you help me? Retired lady in upstate NY seeks Virginia possum asap. Thank you.

06/24/12  02:21am

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area