Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Exotics Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Xfaroutx   Ash104   Devilsangel69   Jamie king   Jamie king   Jamie king   Catalis   Tregenna   Xfaroutx  

Member  Message

Xfaroutx
View Profile

Monkeys!!

hello all-
when i get older, i’d like to get a monkey. i’d really like to get some info on the best kind to get info on what they need and also pics of your monkeys!
thanks!

amy

12/10/07  07:07pm

Ash104
View Profile

Message To: Xfaroutx   In reference to Message Id: 1542352

Monkeys!!

in most places you need a permit 2 get a monkey. i heard they are a handfull, too. do lots of research before you get 1!

12/10/07  08:15pm

Devilsangel69
View Profile

Monkeys!!

Monkeys are very difficult to handle. I will not tell you not to get one, but I will advise against it. They are very demanding. When they want attention they have to get it, when they want food they have to get it, when they don’t want you they will be aggressve. Just do alot of research. And keep in mind that mother monkeys are like people, they get very attached to their young and in order to get a monkey for a pet you have to steal it from the mother and hand raise it so that it is somewhat nice. They mother monkey has a hard time with the seperation.

12/11/07  09:01am

Jamie king
View Profile

Monkeys!!

hey if u get a monkey u need to apply for licence at your local county or spca and they will give u details / i got capuchin he is so cute but a little terror

04/13/11  03:53pm

Jamie king
View Profile

Monkeys!!

DONT GET A MONKEY IF YOU BUY A MONKEY ANOUTHER WILL DIE THEY SHOOT THERE MOTHERS TO GET THE BABIES MONKEYS ARE VERY BAD PETS I KNOW YOUR PROBUBLY SAYING OH WHO CARES MONKEYS are posibly the worst pet you could have

08/31/11  10:03am

Jamie king
View Profile

Message To: Jamie king   In reference to Message Id: 2214252

Monkeys!!

btw i dieent get a monkey that was my bro who posted that

09/19/11  02:13pm

Catalis
View Profile

Monkeys!!

do you still want a monkey?

02/29/12  04:26pm

Tregenna
View Profile

Message To: Catalis   In reference to Message Id: 2257276

Monkeys!!

I’ll post for the benefit of any who read this thread looking for answers...

monkeys can make very rewarding captives...but they do not make good "pets".

Primate keeping is restricted in many areas due to how common abuse is in captive populations. Here are some things anyone thinking about it should know:

* Monkeys should not wear clothes. They are not humans and clothing them infringes on their natural behaviour irrespective of what certain childless couples in the USA and the UK might suggest. This is cruel because it forces a monkey into a state of limbo it IS a monkey but it’s forced to be humanised resulting in the animal never really being much of either. Diapering them isn’t necessarily something i’d include in this but mostly because i don’t have much experience with this.

* Monkeys should be given ample space to live in it sounds so obvious but many do not do this they need a fair amount of space.

* Monkeys get bored easily and NEED CONSTANT STIMULATION. Prepare to shell out on toys, get creative with feeding and creating puzzles with clear rewards.

* Monkeys cannot eat nearly as much fruit as people might imagine they need a staple diet of monkey food which can be fairly expensive. Many species need this supplemented with live food and vegetables with many also requiring a multi vitamin supplement daily/weekly.

* Monkeys CANNOT be kept alone. They need 24/7 company, humans are not enough it needs to be of the same species and realistically whilst 1 other individual is the minimum they require a group is much better for the primate.

* Many do require heating and in some cases UV lighting.

* They do bite, some may be "trained" or "taught" not to but you shouldn’t bank on this being the case for you because it’s the animal that suffers when it’s re-homed or neglected because the owner can’t be as interactive as he’d like to be with it. Be prepared to get bitten perhaps a lot, some of the best keepers around are not hands on with their monkeys (although some are).

hence monkeys are not great pets for everyone, but if you can move past all of this or work out methods around it...so long as you are consistent in good care and can provide what the animal needs then there’s no reason they can’t be kept in captivity by a private keeper.

...and i noticed someone above saying they have parents shot for the young your wires are very crossed on that one, that’s a phenomenon that occurs to the great apes and is a separate issue entirely. Most captive monkeys are captive bred you can determine a wil monkey by the price usually they don’t cost nearly as much (although there are breeders who will abuse the animals for profit but that’s no different to some dog breeders).

-Dan Tregenna (Advanced National Diploma in Animal Management, Diploma in Primatology).

03/09/12  04:53pm

Xfaroutx
View Profile

Message To: Tregenna   In reference to Message Id: 2258235

Monkeys!!

I think someone hacked my account. I actually don’t want a monkey. At all... I realize monkeys are wild animals and possibly one of the worst pets to have. But hey, thanks for all the info!

03/09/12  06:10pm

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area