Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Exotics Forum

CrzyKneebRdrd   Draco1215   CrzyKneebRdrd   Violetheartz   Draco1215   Draco1215   Mr.mike   TRIXXIE   Gaboon   Wsubrat   Skink guy1212   Senshokukiba   Skink guy1212   Senshokukiba   Geckogirlemi   Crocklover8   Glider   Marcos   Skink guy1212   MOZIAK66   Gecko boy12   Reddcatt   MOZIAK66   Reddcatt   MOZIAK66   Cupidity   Devilsangel69   Samantha k   Ambiguous666   Rob1253  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

CrzyKneebRdrd
View Profile

Kinkajou

Hey, does anyone know anything about kinkajou’s? I LOVE them and I want one SOOOO bad. They’re expensive, about $2000 for one single baby haha. Incase you have no idea what they are they’re in the raccoon family. They are a lot like coatimundi’s but they look like teddy bears with long tails. Here’s a pic: Kinkajou pic aren’t they adorable? They need like 6’ high, 4’ wide, by 3’ wide cages at least, like that’s the smallest. Does anyone know of a place where I could find kinkajou food?

08/01/04  01:32pm

Draco1215
View Profile

Message To: CrzyKneebRdrd   In reference to Message Id: 111949

Kinkajou

I WAS AT A PET SHOP IN TENNESSEE THAT HAD A KINKAJOU AS A STORE PET. I’VE BEEN THERE A FEW TIMES AND HAVE PLAYED WITH IT. FIRST OF ALL THEY ARE NOCTURNAL. THERE ISN’T A FOOD MADE JUST FOR THEM THEY EAT FRUIT AND STUFF. I READ THAT THEY CAN’T EAT STRAWBERRIES. A GOOD SITE ABOUT THEM IS JULIESJUNGLE.COM SHE BREEDS THEM. I HOPE THAT HELPS!

08/07/04  03:37pm

CrzyKneebRdrd
View Profile

Message To: Draco1215   In reference to Message Id: 116240

Kinkajou

ok thanks!

08/07/04  10:39pm

Violetheartz
View Profile

Message To: CrzyKneebRdrd   In reference to Message Id: 116427

Kinkajou

Your best bet to understanding ownership of a kinkajou is to talk to people who have them as pets. I would get on a list for kinkajous. I suggest a list on yahoo http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kinkajous/
It has been a fairly active list the last few months and you can get any questions answered there. Never ask a breeder/seller or a pet store owner questions about any exotic because most of them want to sell the animal and lead you to believe everything is so wonderful about them. I am an owner myself so I know the ups and downs there can be.
As far as food goes they can eat many fruits and vegetables and they eat monkey biscuits.

10/26/04  03:04pm

Draco1215
View Profile

Message To: Violetheartz   In reference to Message Id: 170496

Kinkajou

YEAH I AGREE MOST BREEDERS OR SELLERS WILL ONLY SAY THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM. ABOUT THE GROUPS DO YOU KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY MONKEY GROUPS?

10/27/04  12:23am

Draco1215
View Profile

Message To: Violetheartz   In reference to Message Id: 170496

Kinkajou

YEAH I AGREE MOST BREEDERS OR SELLERS WILL ONLY SAY THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM. ABOUT THE GROUPS DO YOU KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY MONKEY GROUPS?

10/27/04  12:23am

Mr.mike
View Profile

Message To: Draco1215   In reference to Message Id: 170859

Kinkajou

i recon monkeys are funny

10/28/04  09:16pm

TRIXXIE
View Profile

Kinkajou

i sell the monkey biscuits my kink eats every day. heres a link to the page i use to sell them.
http://www.buysellcommunity.com/sale/DVELUGDB/

08/09/05  01:29pm

Gaboon
View Profile

Kinkajou

The last one I saw was $3,000. Theyre expensive, so be sure you know what youre doing.

I got to handle one in the Ecuadorean jungle some years ago. He was just caught, but was very gentle. Kinkajous are lovable.

A word of caution: I have heard they turn vicious if you give them alcohol. I dont mean a whiskey sour. A rotting apple (turning into hard cider will do). Other than that, theyre a dream.

Before you get one, be sure to line up a vet with experience with exotics, specifically kinkajous. Most vets dont know what they are!

Good luck.

08/09/05  04:43pm

Wsubrat
View Profile

Message To: Gaboon   In reference to Message Id: 435043

Kinkajou

OUr kinkajou eats just about anything..they are an omnivore of course, but she really likes cereal and although this isnt the healthiest...fruit licorice...

03/25/06  10:04pm

Skink guy1212
View Profile

Message To: Wsubrat   In reference to Message Id: 709233

Kinkajou

i know this is a little late, but does any body sell them besides on clasifieds?

08/07/06  07:30pm

Senshokukiba
View Profile

Message To: Skink guy1212   In reference to Message Id: 928187

Kinkajou

Why doesnt any one here know how to use Google.com? Its so simple. All you do it type in Kinkajou + Sale. Its that easy! - Dramatic music-

I dont premote people purchasing these animals though when they dont even know where to purchase them. This shows they havent done enough research.

You need to do more research before you actually adopt one.

Ive got a lot of research ahead of me before I actually adopt an African Serval. I know...it will never really happen. Ill never adopt one. I dont think Ill be able to afford such an animal or give it proper care.

08/07/06  11:09pm

Skink guy1212
View Profile

Message To: Senshokukiba   In reference to Message Id: 928627

Kinkajou

i know all about them i just need to find a place that sells them besides on clasifides

08/08/06  11:46am

Senshokukiba
View Profile

Message To: Skink guy1212   In reference to Message Id: 929301

Kinkajou

Im sure.

You dont even know where to purchase one. Advertisements for animals like this are all over Google.com. You should be able to find some one who sales them when you simply look them up.

How are you going to care for an exotic animals when you dont even know where to purchase one? 0o?

08/08/06  11:37pm

Geckogirlemi
View Profile

Message To: Senshokukiba   In reference to Message Id: 930431

Kinkajou

Google is a HORRIBLE source of info for animal care. Any person can write a caresheet online. The best thing to do is contact owners.

08/09/06  12:54am

Crocklover8
View Profile

Kinkajou

they are illegal to the usa

08/10/06  02:17pm

Glider
View Profile

Message To: Crocklover8   In reference to Message Id: 932977

Kinkajou

that is untrue, i contacted the fish and wildlife people for maryland and they said they are legal. where are you getting that from?

08/14/06  12:31pm

Marcos
View Profile

Message To: Draco1215   In reference to Message Id: 170858

Monkey?

Monkeys are one of the most difficult of all the exotics to care for. They are social animals and you really need at least two or three of them. They need plenty of space (like your whole house). They tend to be messy and may become aggressive when they mature. The woolly monkey is usually an exception; they tend to remain gentle even into old age.

If you can get a permit (capuchins and woollys are both on the CITES list), which is very difficult, plan on spending over $20,000-plus for a capuchin and $30,000-plus for a woolly.

Vets qualified to treat monkeys are rarer than the primates themselves. Monkeys have strick dietary requirements and are very susceptible to respiratory infections.

Even zoos have trouble keeping monkeys alive and well. They are very difficult to maintain.

The odds of your monkey (or monkeys) surviving life in captivity are very small.

Id try another pet.

09/06/06  12:09pm

Skink guy1212
View Profile

Message To: Marcos   In reference to Message Id: 973341

What!?!?

a kinkajou is not a monkey!!!

10/04/06  04:49pm

MOZIAK66
View Profile

Message To: Skink guy1212   In reference to Message Id: 1009460

What!?!?

what have you been smoking?

11/06/07  10:16am

Gecko boy12
View Profile

Kinkajou

dont give advise if u dont no what u talking about.

11/06/07  03:46pm

Reddcatt
View Profile

Message To: Gecko boy12   In reference to Message Id: 1503833

Kinkajou

is a kink a monkey???..are they called honey bears also??....wendy

11/09/07  10:33pm

MOZIAK66
View Profile

Message To: Reddcatt   In reference to Message Id: 1507990

Kinkajou

a kinkajou is not a monkey its a mammal and yes there called honey bears

11/10/07  06:16pm

Reddcatt
View Profile

Message To: MOZIAK66   In reference to Message Id: 1508764

Kinkajou

yeah...i googled them...they are related to the racoon family...also..the red panda family...they are CUTIES!!!..wendy

11/10/07  08:10pm

MOZIAK66
View Profile

Message To: Reddcatt   In reference to Message Id: 1508891

Kinkajou

i want a spotted cuscus there sweet!

11/11/07  09:42pm

Cupidity
View Profile

Message To: MOZIAK66   In reference to Message Id: 1510401

Kinkajou

Cucus are cute but, I do luv kinkajous i am doing a report on them heres soome info that i got of the internet:
Kinkajou

Potos flavus

Classification:
Phylum: Chordata
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Procyonidae
DESCRIPTION: The kinkajou is a small animal with short, soft honey gold or brown fur. It has a round head with small round ears, a cat like face and very prominent eyes. It’s long stretchable tongue is used for getting nectar. The kinkajou has a fully prehensile tail that is used as support when climbing or resting. To aid in climbing, they can rotate their feet backwards so that they can hang from tree branches. The toes are joined by a membrane that extends a third of the way down each toe. It has scent glands on the face, throat and belly. The length of the head and body is 16-22 inches. The tail is the same length. They can weigh up to 4-10 pounds. The Kinkajou uses a small peep for close communication and a shrill scream for far away communication
HABITAT: Kinkajous are native to the lowland rain forests of Southern Mexico, Central America and parts of South America. They are nocturnal. During the day and they sleep in tree hollows, or leaves and trees to avoid all contact with sunlight. They are also arboreal and stay in the forest canopy and very seldom come down.
DIET: The diet mainly consists of fruit and nectar. It turns upside down, on its side or on its back so it will not lose any of the fruit juice. Although they do eat bees, honey, blossoms and other small insects they have also have been known to eat small animals such as tree-living frogs, nesting birds and their eggs. One important role they play in the rain forests is that they are a pollinator. When the Kinkajou reaches for nectar with its tongue, which can extend up to 5 inches long, its face gets covered with pollen which is then spread to other plants.
REPRODUCTION: The Kinkajou is a solitary animal, avoiding contact with other Kinkajous unless mating. Each Kinkajou has its own territory that it scent marks. They come together only to mate and after a gestation of 112-118 days the females gives birth to one (sometimes two) cub. The cub is born in a dark den with their eyes and ears closed. Their eyes open within 2 to 6 weeks, and in another 3 to 6 weeks their tails become prehensile. The Kinkajou mother is very protective of her cub. During times of danger she will carry the infant upside down just below her chest. The mother carries the young for almost 4 months, at which time the young are almost independent.

PREDATORS: Predators of the kinkajou include foxes, tayras, jaguars, and ocelots.
STATUS IN THE WILD: Kinkajou numbers are falling rapidly as a result of deforestation and fur hunting doing a report on them here is some info:[Image][/Image]

01/31/08  10:07pm

Devilsangel69
View Profile

Message To: Cupidity   In reference to Message Id: 1603890

Kinkajou

Not all kinks are nice. I volunteer with all kinds of exotic animals for an internship every weekend (wolf/dog hybrids, coatimundi’s, african servals, and kinks to name a few). There is only one of the five kinks there that I would trust to come out and ’play’ with me, then two of the remaining four are very shy, and one of the last two is quite testy, and the last one is flat out terrified of people and will attack. I allowed myself to become distracted once while I was cleaning the cage of the last one and it climbed my arm and was making a weird noise as it tried to get to my face to attack me. I am not trying to detour anyone from getting one, but just keep in mind they are not all ’cuddly’.

02/04/08  08:05am

Samantha k
View Profile

Kinkajou

yes a friend of mine has one i baby sit very sweet and expensive his was $2400 and he had to have it shipped and eats very expensive food has to have fresh veggies and fruit everyday and cannot have strawberries they will swell up and must be neutered by a vet with experience with them cause a dog vet cannot do it or they will become evil because of sexual maturity i wouldn’t recommend them to anyone without experience its like a monkey very high maintenance so i would say get a ferret or something like that i wouldn’t recommend them

03/03/08  12:29am

Ambiguous666
View Profile

Kinkajou

wow thats way too much money and care to go through for something that ugly.

hahahaha

04/07/08  02:00am

Rob1253
View Profile

Message To: Gaboon   In reference to Message Id: 435043

Kinkajou

You can get a kink from Julies Exotics animals in Fla

10/03/08  05:03pm
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area