Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Exotics Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anklebones   DRZRider   Anklebones   K-9   Anklebones   Paulappp   BooBoo   Morrison13   Opossum831   OpossumPrincess   Messyjess   Debiritchi   Debiritchi   Debiritchi   Owens Mom   Owens Mom   Bneihoff   Twizler333   Twizler333   Twizler333   Twizler333  

Member  Message

Anklebones
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I was thinking about getting one of them. An oppossum, or skunk. Of course, not before I look up every possible information I can on them. Know where I can get either one of them? Anywhere near NJ would be awesome. I’m not sure if opossums are legal in NJ though..

I’m more looking into opossums though and I’d like to know if any of you have ever owned one and can give me some information.

10/08/06  11:22pm

DRZRider
View Profile

Message To: Anklebones   In reference to Message Id: 1015016

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I have seen VA ’possums for sale and I find it interesting that people want them as pets. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, I lived in VA for 30 years and now I am in NC. Growing up we killed every ’possum we saw because they they were thought to be nasty, disease ridden, vicious critters. When they open their mouths ans hiss it was a scary site. Even the people that ate them (in the old days) would catch, and then keep them for a few weeks to get them healthy enough to eat.

Hmm, I guess they would make an interesting pet. Desented skunks would be cool too. I always waned a raccoon.

11/13/06  06:03am

Anklebones
View Profile

Message To: DRZRider   In reference to Message Id: 1058568

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I’ve always had a love for animals that people normally don’t like. And the animals people tend to not like tend to be very unqiue. Like my favourite animal is a hyena, people think that they only steal other animal’s food, are dirty, nasty, digusting creatures. Probably because of the lion king movie but still. Thats far from the truth.

I think opossums are adoreable. I’ve read that they can be very docile and wonderful pets and even can be litter trained.
Opossums aren’t naturally vicious. That whole hissing thing and threatening to bite is mostly an act. They don’t want to fight. They have to appear as tough as they can because they have /alot/ of enemies in the wild.

Raccoons of the other hand, I’m not to fond of them. They get into everything and can be a hassel. Not to forget the many times the vicious things has attempted to maul me, and that wasn’t an act.

And I found out that foxes, skunks and raccoons cannot be imported according to NJ state law..
But it says nothing about opossums. yay.

12/09/06  05:56am

K-9
View Profile

Message To: Anklebones   In reference to Message Id: 1088425

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I can get farmed raised racoons and virgina opossums ,and go to New Jersey often if anyone is looking to buy one .

05/07/07  11:49pm

Anklebones
View Profile

Message To: K-9   In reference to Message Id: 1273942

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

hey K-9, look in your messages please! i’d like to ask some questions that you or someone else you know could answer.

07/20/07  09:24pm

Paulappp
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I would like to buy a opossums please reply or 954 4391005

06/16/09  07:39am

BooBoo
View Profile

Message To: Paulappp   In reference to Message Id: 2023133

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

Not too many people want to own or even like opossums. I have raised 13 so far in 2009. They are wonderful animals and they are highly resistant to disease such as parvo, distemper, and yes rabies. The only drawback to owning one is that opossums suffer from a deficiency called " metabolic bone disease." In order to prevent this, I strongly suggest you become a member of the National Opossum Society. You will be given the correct diet in order to prevent MBD. There is alot of info on the web, but trust me from experience, they are not correct. Too bad, you don’t live close to me, I’d give you one. Good Luck.

Kellie
Kritter Haven Wildlife Rehabilitation™

06/22/09  01:22pm

Morrison13
View Profile

Message To: BooBoo   In reference to Message Id: 2027015

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

Hello! i post on the reptile forums, but love to hear peoples stories and look at their pictures especially of exotic animals!
i used to have a skunk named Clyde, it was similar to having a ferret. Clyde wasn’t specifically litter trained, but he only went in his "corner", or his open-door cage. i’m not sure about opossums, but i do know how amazing skunks are to befriend. i got him when he was about a year old. he was a joy, and i would recommend them to anyone one who will take the time to properly adore these animals.

06/29/09  08:51am

Opossum831
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

Over a month ago I rescued an orphaned opossum from a sidewalk in Connecticut. I have found some very useful, detailed information about her development which has been very helpful. She is now potty trained and fearful of others (except myself); well, mainly my boyfriend who lives with me and even spent a lot of time with her when I first found her. I believe she is about 80-90 days old, and has many teeth. She is about 4 inches long (minus the tail). She’s almost completely off milk (Ebsilac), but I have been weary of what to feed her exactly, as I don’t feel the "Internet" is a reliable source of information. Though I keep reading about the Modified Jurgelski Diet, it doesn’t sound that healthy to me, and I’m not trying to follow it. I believe wild animals eat what they find/like, and are not confined to a structured diet. I understand this may be difficult to mimic in captivity and want to do what’s best for her. While I have been feeding her cat food (mainly turkey or chicken) in the amount calculated closest to her weight, I also provide vegetables and some fruits. I also spend time with her at night (and middle of night) and let her explore the yard. She has found some moss that she seems to enjoy. I plan to ’introduce’ her to worms and such over the weekend. I do not wish to get crickets from a pet store as they are usually contaminated with pesticides. I have not yet found a store near me that knows or has otherwise. In the next week I should be finished with her outdoor cage as I plan to relocate her there. She currently lives in a closed off room which I leave a window open so she can acclimate to the outdoor weather and sounds while still being indoors. I keep her in a 10 gal. aquarium with a mesh lid. I have made a cardboard box cut out serve as ’two floors’ so her eating area is separate from her toilet area as well as her sleeping area. She can now regulate her own temperature and no longer needs a heating pad. I realize I have rambled on quite a bit, but my main reason for writing is to learn more about a proper diet for her. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I would also be interested in learning about ’wild’ opossums vs. one’s in captivity - and what the realistic options are, or if one’s in captivity are just until they are ready to release. I am planning to let her free in the next few months, although would like to provide an outdoor (open) enclosure just encase she decides to come back ;) What are your thoughts?

~Melissa

10/15/09  02:07am

OpossumPrincess
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

Can you still get Opossums? Iam going to DC this coming week for a meeting then i will be down south for awhile and i’m very interested to know where to get a little friend for my pet Opossum. my E-Mail is please respond.
Savi

01/21/11  08:00pm

Messyjess
View Profile

Message To: OpossumPrincess   In reference to Message Id: 2200140

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I’m also interested if anyone is still able to get Skunk kits.

02/12/11  09:32pm

Debiritchi
View Profile

Message To: DRZRider   In reference to Message Id: 1058568

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I really want very badly a young pet opossum, everywhere I have ever lived one has made friends with me and also with my pets. I really want one. I live in Virginia (Charlottesville) area, and if anyone can help me find one, I would be so grateful
Thank-You,
Debbie Ritchi

12/21/11  12:14am

Debiritchi
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I am so very interested in a baby or young opossum, I love them and know they are very gentle creatures, and a big plus is they do not get rabies due to their body temperature. I have read everything I can get my hands on about their diet and care. I know in the wild they have quite a short (2 years) lifespan, but with the correct diet and not breeding them they have a much better life expectancy.
I am so looking forward to hearing back from you.
Many Thanks,
Debbie Ritchi

12/21/11  12:22am

Debiritchi
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I sure wish I lived close to you lol...I am am looking very hard to find me a pet opossum, I have always had one that bonded with me everywhere that lived, but outside and they are sweetest animals, very gentle, take food from your hand with their little hand, I truly love them...You are so very lucky to have these marvelous pets!
Blessings,
Debbie Ritchi

12/21/11  12:31am

Owens Mom
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

Looking for baby female Virginia Opossum asap. My original possie went to Possum Heaven and I am looking for another wonderful pet. Retired lady in upstate NY needs Virginia Possum baby asap. Thank you. Please help.

06/24/12  02:17am

Owens Mom
View Profile

Message To: Owens Mom   In reference to Message Id: 2271045

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I am still seeking a baby girl virginia possum. Will be traveling to Maine in Sept. from NY. If you have a possum for me, can we arrange a pickup for the little furball? It is not baby possie season, but when it is, please remember me, and help me find a baby virginia possum. She will get the best of love and attention and proper care and feeding. Thank you.

09/07/12  12:05am

Bneihoff
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

i would love to buy an opossum. Please tell me when you go to the breeder.

03/31/14  01:19am

Twizler333
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

My wife and I have been looking for a baby Virginia Opossum for years. Could you please tell us where we might find some. Thank You so much if you can help.

06/26/14  03:57pm

Twizler333
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I am enclosing my number if you wish to contact. My name is Henry. Thank You, Twizler333

06/26/14  04:03pm

Twizler333
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

I am enclosing my number if you wish to contact. My name is Henry. Thank You, Twizler333

06/26/14  04:04pm

Twizler333
View Profile

Virginia Opossums/Skunks

810-417-2699

06/26/14  04:07pm

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area