Dogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cyclura cornuta   KrazyKelli  

Member  Message

Cyclura cornuta
View Profile

dog tears up everything need advice and soon

OK i have inside dog he is a lab husky mix and about one year old and recently he has started to misbehave badly ( he tore up our couch) so since i have school and no one can watch him to make sure he does not tear anything up we had to put him in our outside kennel and after 2 days he tore a hole in one side and escaped, but came back and now today we just got a inside cage ( we got the cage yesterday) for him and he tore the door off its hinges trying to get out and messed the front part of the cage up badly. i have no idea what to do i need help.

12/07/12  04:36pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Cyclura cornuta   In reference to Message Id: 2287264

dog tears up everything need advice and soon

Huskies have tons of energy that needs to be mediated. It’s a major part of their breed, since they’re expected to be active working cold-weather dogs. If you leave him alone for too long or lock him up with nothing to do, he will go out of his way to entertain himself or free himself, regardless of how he intends to accomplish this.

The good news is that this is extremely common in those types of dogs, crosses and purebreds. It’s entirely fixable.

The bad news is that you’re going to have to put some time, effort, and money into this beyond ’patch fixes’.

First, the dog needs a training class. He’s hit 1 year old and is in post-puppy transition. If you don’t go out of your way to teach them the basics and have the dog understand that you are the owner, show him where the boundaries/rules are, enforce them, give him things to put his mind to, and teach the dog things to accomplish, you’re going to have a freaking mess of a dog on your hands. People who don’t get this important step done are the leading cause of dogs ending up in shelters. They get the puppy, not thinking of the future, and when it hits a year old, ends up being a mess, and is no longer fun to deal with, they pitch the dog. Don’t be like that.

Second, he’ll need two walks a day. I’m not talking about casual strolls, either. I’m talking 45 minutes to an hour of power walking, running, and/or skating/biking along side. Early morning, afternoon. Every day. This is to let him release all that pent up energy that’s frustrating the crap out of him. This is what you agreed to by adopting a husky mix. If he doesn’t get worn completely out, he’s going to take it out on your couch, or escaping, or the cage, or your furniture, or your house, or your yard, or himself in a worst case scenario.

Third, he’ll need some special toys for stimulation. Kongs are really good for this, as you can fill them with biscuits or peanut butter and let the dog figure out how to get the good stuff. They’re also durable and strong. Balls? Balls mean fetch, dogs love fetch. Frisbees, too. But yeah, this is probably the easiest step out of the group. It involves interacting with your dog on a regular basis and giving him something when you aren’t there to stimulate himself.

Fourth, huskies escape. It’s what they’re made to do, and they’re infamous for it. Training the dog to come back, like in step 1, is extremely important. I can’t over-emphasize this. If the husky is outside, a tether he can’t chew through is important, but it should only be used if someone is there to watch the dog. Getting a second husky-type dog, or a second active dog, can also help prevent escapes, as they wear either out each other and stimulate themselves when you aren’t around. If they become best pals, and you tether one, the other is less likely to get away simply because they don’t want to leave their friend.

If you don’t want to get a second dog, and don’t trust tethers, then fortify the dog run. Dig deep trenches all around the inside walls of it, and bury/tie a secondary fence below ground that the dog can’t dig through. There are other ways to fortify an enclosure to prevent dog escaping, but I can’t remember them off hand and you’re best off doing a google search.

To recap, the best thing you can do for this dog is to interact with him, train him, reinforce that training like a drill sergeant, and wear him out on a regular basis. It’s the best way to handle any high-energy, smart dog. By not doing so, you’re going to get a destructive animal that is only trying his best to fend off extreme, unadulterated boredom and cabin fever.

12/08/12  03:00pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area