Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Dogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

KaleidoRats   KrazyKelli   KaleidoRats   Rae rae   KaleidoRats   Rae rae   KaleidoRats   Allielover  

Member  Message

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Dog Grooming

Hi everyone!

I’m saving up to go after my certification in dog grooming. I haven’t groomed dogs in a shop for a few years now but I’d like to get back into it and know certification would go a long way to help me achieve that goal.

Is there anyone in this forum that is a dog groomer or regularly has their dog groomed? I’d love to hear stories (good and bad) about grooming dogs and having your dog groomed. I’d also like to hear what you all think are reasonable prices for different services, what you’d like to see a groomer do, what you don’t like, etc.

08/22/11  01:08pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2233750

Dog Grooming

I get my corgi groomed once in a while (specially during the 2 shedding seasons). Petsmart charges me about 20 to 25 bucks for the basic grooming, toe clipping, ear cleaning, etc. And I know the price changes per dog. They charge 40+ for the full package: oatmeal shampoo, tooth brushing, stuff like that. He came out looking like a prince the one time I was tricked into that package. Was awesome. Yukito smelled like flowers. They also charge a load for grooming cats, too. =P Though I’ve never tried it.

I had a neighborhood lady groom my dog once and it was a mistake. She cut the nails way too harsh and he bled all over my car the way home. Petsmart also once trimmed my dogs nails til they bled, but it was a new employee and it seriously never happened again. So make sure if you go into the business that you have nail trimming down to a science. That’s the first way to piss off a dog owner.

Once they trimmed his rump too far down (cause his hair is longer there) and he had a minor bald spot for a while. And on a few occasions they were overwhelmed by his fur clogging up everything and didn’t groom it all out before I came to pick him up - but I forgive the employees for that cause it was, indeed, shedding season at the time.

Every time petsmart grooms my dog they give him a little cheap bandana around his neck. I love it and so does everyone in the neighborhood. It makes him go from groomed to adorable.

08/22/11  02:16pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2233762

Dog Grooming

Yeah when I worked with a groomer a few years back she charged by breed first and then added to it if the coat or nails were badly neglected (though she would often lower the price if the dog only needed sprucing up). The shampoo she typically used was good for conditioning like oatmeal shampoo but it smelled like berries. It always made me hungry.

I’ve been debating on offering cat grooming services and what to charge. I end up losing more blood when I groom cats though I’ve managed to do so every time and come away with only minor scratches. My cat just purrs and usually starts dozing off during his bath but my roommate’s cat freaks out no matter what I try. They usually only get baths once a year unless they’ve managed to get into something messy so I can’t say I’ve had a lot of practice but I’ve groomed at least 20 cats in the past from kittens to seniors. The most fun was my cat’s dad who was part siamese. He jumped 6 to 7 ft in the air the minute his feet touched the water.

I’m fine with trimming dog nails if they’re pale. When they’re black they make me worry so I grind the nails instead so they wear down with use rather than worrying about cutting too far and hurting the dog. My chihuahua has black nails except for two white ones on her right back foot so I have a pedi paw tool to grind her nails and it’s never been an issue. When I did used to cut her nails I cut them too short a few times on accident and I felt so bad but all she did was prance around and want to play (as I was trying to clean up her nail and make sure she was okay) >.< I’m great with cutting my rats’ nails and I was good with my conure even though she had black nails so I think if I just keep on trimming Addy (my chi) and Sammy’s (roommate’s mom’s chi) nails that should be good practice even though they’re small dogs.

I’ve never had a problem with trimming a dog too short (yet). I used to trim up my mom’s boyfriend’s border collie because his haunches and belly used to get so matted. I never had a complaint about it being too short but I’ve never tried trimming a puppy or an excitable dog yet. I’m decent with a razor but I’m hoping to find someone who wouldn’t mind letting me practice on their dog before I do any serious cutting. I can practice trimming with Sammy but I don’t know anyone with a dog that would need shaved regularly like a poodle. I’ve actually been debating on adopting a toy poodle rather than a shiba after I get my certification just so I always have a practice partner. I love toy poodles anyway and have wanted one since grooming Nikki (a little black toy poodle I saw every month at the shop) but shibas are my all time favorite dog (my boyfriend would skin me alive if I got both XD).

The groomer I used to work for always gave every dog a little spray of doggie perfume and tied little homemade bows into their ear fur or onto their collars before they went home. They looked so cute XD She always tied a blue bow into our golden’s fur because I thought it looked cute even though he was a boy (she usually put bows on the collars of the males and short haired females and bows in the fur of the longer haired females).

08/23/11  02:23pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2233750

Dog Grooming

You are a better person than I am! Lol! I’ve been a vet tech next month will make 5 years...and I know I would NOT have the patience to be a groomer! That’s when people’s sweet little "babies" become evil haha! The tip I give to my clients that have long haired puppies that come in (yorkies, poodles, etc) is to start getting them groomed as soon as their fully vaccinated...even if they don’t need it yet (which normally they do). The puppies are going to resist, pitch a fit, and try to bite in the beginning...and they need to get used to being handled by a groomer. So if we have a problematic puppy that is already showing behavior problem signs, we will instruct the client as to how to work with that puppy to get them over it.

For instance, if a puppy starts screaming and snapping while we’re looking in their ears, we do NOT baby talk the puppy. We do not sit there and say in a sweet voice..."awww, it’s ok." Instead we will tell it no in a stern voice...but don’t stop looking in the ears until the puppy calms down. Simple little things like that even done by a groomer can make for a WONDERFUL dog in the long run that tolerates being handled and groomed. Most of the time people appreciate the advice, and others actually take offense that you think their "baby" needs training. So you just kind of have to go with the flow as you see fit.

So far as prices go...depends on where you’re located. I mean here in Mobile, AL Petsmart is the most expensive place to have your pet groomed. They normally charge around $50 for a small dog to be groomed. Other places generally charge around $35. It really all depends on the weight of the dog, what they want done, and if the dog’s hair is matted or not...like if the groom is harder than normal. Normally people charge less for puppies...but I disagree. Only because if you’re taking the extra time to work on the puppy’s behavior...sometimes they can take you longer than an adult dog that is used to it.

Well hope this helped some!

12/02/11  11:30pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2245980

Dog Grooming

I hate baby talking any animal (I don’t even like baby talking to human babies). I train my dogs with stern voice commands and lots of praise when they do well so I act the same around others dogs as well.

Puppies have always been more of an issue than adult dogs when it comes to fighting and fussing. I’ve gotten a lot more bites from puppies than adults but thankfully they’ve been very mild. (I’ve only had one dog bite and leave scars and that was my mom’s ex husband’s dog when I was five or six and out of the blue.) I would charge the same or a little more for a puppy as I would an adult I think.

I am thinking about going a different route though, after a lot of research. I’m thinking about trying to be a master herbalist instead. There are a lot of grooming parlors right in this area and I don’t have the means to have a mobile grooming parlor so that seems like a bad idea. I also seem to end up having to move a lot so something I can do from anywhere might be better than something that requires me to be in one place. I’m still saving up and thinking on it though.

12/03/11  10:25pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2246085

Dog Grooming

I figured if you had groomed before you would know exactly what I was talking about lol! It makes me mad when someone rewards their dog for trying to bite me. However...it takes all types to make up this world. And when it comes to business, sometimes you just have to do what makes them happy. Well I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do!

12/04/11  01:07am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2246097

Dog Grooming

That’s true. When I was working at a grooming parlor before I worked in the back so I didn’t have to work with the customers and no one ever stuck around to wait which made it easier. Thankfully everyone listened to my boss when she suggested things they should do so we didn’t have any arguments.

Thanks. I may end up doing both but I think for now the master herbalist certification would be best :3

12/05/11  02:55am

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2246246

Dog Grooming

iv been working at a dog grooming store since august, before that i mostly just did my dogs. they are weimeraners

04/01/12  12:38am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area