Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

KaleidoRats   Janmccri   KaleidoRats   Janmccri   KaleidoRats   Janmccri  
 Member  Message

KaleidoRats
View Profile

My chihuahua

This is my chihuahua Adele. I never thought I’d have a lap dog. I’ve always been partial to the larger breeds but after I got attacked by a Chesapeake bay retriever my roommate adopted last summer my boyfriend said if I wanted a dog he wanted me to get a small one. I also have rodents, finches and a cat so that was fine with me.

She’s 3 years old and is about 5lbs. We’re currently working on potty training her and she’s doing rather well but she won’t go if someone is outside, if there’s a snowman in the yard or if there’s a car going down the street so it’s taking extra work.

I actually bought her a cat collar the other day because she’s too small for the smallest dog collar I could find >.< The one in the photo is the one she came with and it was really rather loose.

A note on the Chesapeake: He tried to kill my cat, my roommate’s cat and knocked my conure’s cage over, managing to knock it apart and my bird went flying out to get away. I had to catch her before he did. She was safe but it was scary.

He attacked me that same day after not wanting me to come off the back steps into the yard to try and go talk to my roommate who was in the yard. My roommate had to grab him and hold him down while I got away because he had already bit me and was still attacking. He was as big as me and was jumping at my face and neck trying to bite me again and again.

He was taken down to the shelter after attacking me and the animals but I don’t know what happened to him after that.

07/02/11  04:46am

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2227381

My chihuahua

Adele is very cute! Have fun with her. So sorry about the other dog. That must have been very scarey for you. I trust you got medical attention and cleaned the bites well so you wont get any infection.
Apparently, the dog had some nasty treatment or experiences somewhere in its past. I am glad your roommate didn’t hang on to that dog. I also have a lap dog but not as small as yours. I have an 18mth old Cavalier King charles spaniel named Casey. He is very sweet! Good luck.
Janice

07/03/11  08:00pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2227479

My chihuahua

I torment her all the time. My roommate has been getting her to howl which is really cute. Thankfully we live in a house and not an apartment so it’s not an issue with the neighbors and she won’t do it unless he’s howling too XD

My roomie wasn’t happy with how the dog had acted and was rather angry at the woman who he adopted him from who said he was great with everyone including cats and small animals. She ran a dog kennel so you’d generally assume she would tell the truth right? I’m home all the time so I would have had to take care of him the most and he said he wasn’t going to leave me home alone with a dog like that.

I was fine. We got my hand all mended up after it happened and thankfully it wasn’t actually broken. I’ve been attacked and bit by dogs in the past (my ex step father beat his first dog and I worked at a rottie rescue after high school which had a couple of dogs that had severe problems) but that was the first time it ever scared me. The dog just wouldn’t back down no matter what I did and he was so big if I had fallen or he had knocked me down I would have been a big mess. He wasn’t going to back down for anything and was aiming for my face and throat. I feel bad for him though. Someone must have really hurt him for him to act like that.

I’m still working on getting my courage back around large dogs. A few months after it happened we went to a lady’s house to deliver a pair of rats she was buying from me and her husband released their playful but untrained wolfhound on us and he tried to jump on me. I nearly had a panic attack but was able to keep it all business til I got out to the car and then broke down. I’m doing better though. I can pet big dogs so long as they don’t jump at me suddenly or rush up to me out of the blue.

I love spaniels but every single one I found was either not good with cats or kids. My roommate has a young niece and nephew on top of living in a neighborhood where the little kids are running free and coming into our yard >.< Addy’s a good girl though. If I can get her potty trained she’ll be perfect :3

07/04/11  03:57am

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2227526

My chihuahua

Wow, you have been through a lot. Well Cavaliers are very good with children. They have a friendlier attitude than some cockers do. I enjoy him and we go and do pet therapy at a nursing home every week. He also does agility.
Janice

07/05/11  02:55am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2227639

My chihuahua

haha I tried to do agility once in 4H with a border collie we had when I was 14-15 but he was afraid of heights so he didn’t like the ramps at all. Between that and my asthma I settled for just training him to jump hay bales and weave in between our fruit trees at home XD He loved it and was able to do that just with a command so I didn’t have to run with him every time! (I trained him using German and hand signals since my ex step father was using me for free training lessons and he was always a jerk to me lol)

I want to try and train my rats to do agility eventually. It looked really fun when I watched some videos of it. Adele wouldn’t be good for agility. She’s too much of a princess.

07/05/11  04:23am

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2227641

My chihuahua

I think that I am the one who is learning the most in agility. My dog Casey seems to catch on a lot quicker than I do. But we are having fun!
janice

07/05/11  11:56pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area