Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Sphynx22   KrazyKelli   Sphynx22   Vwvixen02   SnakeCharmers424   Melindaregner  
 Member  Message

Sphynx22
View Profile

Dog food brand question PLeasE HELP!

i have a 3 year old yellow lab and a 2 year old german shepard. i noticed about 2 months ago that my lab was licking her paws bloody and her ears were staring to become very raw. i took her to the vet found out that she had a food allergy. she was allergic to grains, this is what i was told. so i went to get the cheapest grain free food because i found out the grain free is more expensive. i started fedding them "taste of the wild" for 48 dollars for 32 pounds. it helped a little bit with the lab. she was no longer licking her paws bloody and her ears had cleared up. but i noticed that her paws were still very raw. so i did more researched and just bought today ACANA PACIFICA. i now have upped my cost by 20 dollars. does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a grain free dog food that would help my little girl. i also looked at wysong, wysong states thats it not the grain its the starches. i just need some info because i want to lab to have a healthy life. i am no longer concerned with price i just want what is right. PLEASE HELP!

03/18/11  08:08pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Sphynx22   In reference to Message Id: 2210306

I recently moved to Taste of the Wild (for both my cats and dog) and it’s done me wonders... We’ll see how long that lasts with my corgi’s weight... I also found that most grain-free dog foods are outright expensive at pet stores, but that holistic and local grocers sell the same stuff for up to 15 dollars off as the regular price.

If all else fails, you could try that refrigerated loaf/bologna-style dog food found at your grocer and pet store or move to a kind of wet food. Dry foods tend to carry certain ingredients to help with preservation and preparation that just wont do it for some rare animals.

There’s a good website out there called http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ They tell you the ingredients, what they do, and if there are any troubling ingredients in the food.

Also, when the paws heal they will itch. They may still be raw because the dog is itchy from the wounds healing up. The best way to fix this is to bandage up the paws (or put socks on them) to prevent further chewing and put an antibiotic ointment to help the healing process work faster daily. That’s if you haven’t already done that. Would only be for a few days.

03/18/11  08:34pm

Sphynx22
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2210316

ok i will visit the website and try patching p the paws for a few days and see if that works. thank you for your response.

Dustin

03/20/11  11:56am

Vwvixen02
View Profile

Message To: Sphynx22   In reference to Message Id: 2210590

I feed my dogs sportsman pride...its great omega 3 and 6 fats and protein...its only 20 bucks for a 50 lb bag and my dogs love it.

03/22/11  09:00am

SnakeCharmers424
View Profile

Message To: Vwvixen02   In reference to Message Id: 2210925

there is also something u can do. it takes a bit of time but u know what goes into it. cook for ur dog urself. there are many things u can feed your dog that you can make at home. there are things like lentals an veggies an meat that you can cook in large quantities an frees or refrigerate an feed them something fresh an home made. i did that for a long time with my dogs before i became a long haul trucker. there are many recipeis u can find online. an with anything you cook you can add or take away ingrediance. just make sure u dont feed them anything harmful like avacados macadamia (sp) nuts rasins. ya know the usual list. also find a holistic vet. they may beable to help you more on natural cures for ur furry babies. hope this helps.

04/28/11  01:15pm

Melindaregner
View Profile

Message To: Vwvixen02   In reference to Message Id: 2210925

Good for Labs too? Do they have sites? Or i must buy at amazon or something like that?

05/10/11  11:29pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area