Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

KrazyKelli   Ghastly   Tupi1   Rae rae   Repfanaticlady29   KrazyKelli   Brandy734   Repfanaticlady29   Rae rae  
 Member  Message

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Had to change dogfood

The dogfood I’ve been using this entire time to keep my corgi trim: Sensible Choice: Reduced Cal, Chicken and Rice... Is no longer being made by Royal Canin. This makes me sad.

I e-mled Royal Canin and yelled at them. They told me to switch to Medium Dog 25. But it was expensive and had extra crap in it. What I loved about the Sensible choice was that it was just chicken.. and just rice. No real additives.

Called the vet. They told me to get a ridiculously expensive prescribed diet, iams, or science diet light. I saw that coming. Both iams and science diet are 2 star foods, while Sensible Choice was a 3 or 4 star food. I’m going nowhere near that area of the pet store.

Called Pet Supplies Plus. A few people there know me well, so they got the food analysis of the Sensible Choice from me and the ingredient list, then told me of others I can try. One real promising one was Veterinarian Formulated. It may sound bad by title alone, but actually made it into a 4 star range. It was also affordable and had chicken and rice as major ingredients - outside of maybe something like oatmeal. Yet when I did an internet check on it, I found that the ingredient ’menadione’ was in it. This is a synthetic vitamin K that’s been proven to cause organ damage if exposed to a dog over a long period of time. Mind you, I don’t know the levels of Menadione needed to make a real threat, but it half scared me.

So I finally ran the gamut and came home with Taste of the Wild, Duck flavored. ... Bet you didn’t see That one coming, did you? I got a 5 lb bag for starts.

My worry? It has a crap-ton of protein and fat - what with all that wild goodness. Since I have a dog susceptible to obesity, I wanted to double-check that 1. I got some good stuff, and 2. How much I should be giving him. I’ve never given him a grain-free food before and it’s out of my ballpark. With the Sensible Choice, I would give him 1/2 cup, twice a day. On the package, that was enough for a 10 lb dog (while my dog is 27 lbs), yet it was the perfect amount for him. He’s retaining a good amount of weight and looks really healthy. Should I feed less of the Taste of the Wild? My worry is that I could inadvertently starve him if I go lower than a cup a day. So I need some opinions.

02/27/11  06:17pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2207237

Had to change dogfood

I feed raw so I’m not much help lol :)

I know rice along with oats and potato are just fillers and have no actual part apart from filling the dog up! Origin is a great dry food, it is 80% meat and 10% fruit and 10% veg (how a dogs die is supposed to be). I heard feeding a dog half or what the bag recommends is good or a quarter less for a smaller breed.

Hopefully someone else can help you better :) at the end of the day all dogs are different on different foods.

02/28/11  06:50am

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2207319

Had to change dogfood

My sons dogs used to get Taste of the wild but they started putting on alot of wieght.He actually switched to the beneful which of course is crap but theyre now slim and healthy..IDK Ive actually heard that the Blue dog food is good.Or with one dog it shouldnt be too much of a burden to just make your own.I know there are plenty of recipes online.
I would love to feed raw or homemade but we have 5 dogs and its just not an option with that many.

02/28/11  08:31am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2207330

Had to change dogfood

i consult a vet in my area that absolutely OBSESSES over the right dog food. my dog megan is allergic to everything...and i mean everything. she can’t even eat the prescription expensive science diet allergy formula z/d. actually science diet is crap food! just a name, ingredients are horrible. after looking forever, i finally decided on smarty pants van patten’s natural balance. they have many different formulas. megan is allergic to barley, oats, flaxseed, hugely allergic to potatoes, rice, and even more. i had to pick lesser of evils for food for her. i picked lamb and rice...cuz there has to be a carb and she’s not as allergic to rice as she is potatoes.

this food has done WONDERS for her. she was about to chew her back legs off, and shots, seeing the vet over and over and trying different things never worked. finally just switching to this food worked wonders.

ok...i’m just gona be blunt about the weight issue. if your dog needs to lose weight, just cut back on the food. there’s no reason to spend extra money on lower calorie food, when you can just cut back the portions. let’s say for example; you have a 35lbs dog and you are feeding 3 cups of food daily. the dog begins to gain weight. you cut the food back to 2 3/4 cups daily. you wait a couple of weeks (with a scale on hand) to see if the dog loses any weight over a couple of weeks. even if it’s just a pound its a good thing. if they are still not really where they need to be with weight loss then i would say cut back to 2 1/2 cups of food daily. don’t let the back of the bag tell you how much to feed your dog, let the scale and the vet tell you. dogs are different just like people are different.

dogs in the wild run miles everyday looking for food. and they eat maybe twice a week. domesticated dogs have the same genetics with fat storage as their wild cousins. so our fidos are sitting around, eating good meals everyday, and not getting proper exercise. now i know some people will say...but i take my dog for walks, or i play fetch with my dog. that might actually be the perfect amount of exercise...but if the dog is overweight, then there’s too many calories being consumed for the amount of energy being burned.

some people say, how can i cut my dog’s food back! they are used to eating this many times a day! cut the smaller portion of food into that many times a day. every dog is different. and many vets will tell you different things. i can just tell you what my vet says. and that’s to find a consistent amount of food for your dog to eat daily and stick with it....adjust as need be...using a scale and him. the food i use i measure out everyday. lol, i was just talking about this with ghastly! i don’t just use a scoop, i actually measure my food out in real cups like you use for cooking. my 60lbs pit eats 5 cups once daily. my 35lbs pit mix eats 2 cups once daily. my two chihuahuas both eat 3/4 cup once daily, and my cat eats 1 cup daily. she eats the same brand of food as the dogs (of course the cat version lol)

it’s very important to find a good brand of food...which i know you’re doing if you’re worried about what’s in the food. the next is i can’t stress how important it is to feed the correct amount. another tip; if you do happen to read the back of the bag’s instructions on how much to feed...it will say for example; 30-40lbs dogs need 3-4 cups a day. so people automatically assume that their dog in that weight range needs that much. if you have a dog that is 35lbs, but is overweight and really needs to be more like 25lbs, then you don’t feed that much. you feed the amount that is said to be correct for the 25lbs size...even though your dog is heavier. that’s why i tell people not to go with the back of the bag, go with the vet and a scale.

well good luck on the dog food. us dog lovers sure can be food finatics! i’m ocd about what my dogs eat. i’m a very paranoid dog owner when it comes to that. my dogs don’t even know what human food tastes like...well except for megan cuz she was grown when i got her.

but all in all, if you feed the correct amount, and it may take a while of trial and error to figure out, then there’s no need for diet food. there are even treats like green beans and carrots you can use if you just must give your dog something to help fill them up!

03/01/11  12:51am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2207535

Had to change dogfood

Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream has less protein than the others. That’s what I have my dogs on. It’s the only thing that keeps my GSD mix’s skin healthy. He has severe yeast problems and has to have grain free, or his skin gets all itchy and flaky and he starts chewing his fur out. I tried other brands, but nothing worked as well as TotW. My dogs are 60-90 lbs and I feed them 1 1/2 cups a day during the winter (when they’re not as active) and 2 cups during the summer. I’ve never had problems with weight gain, even when I had my Dachshund. He was 10-12 lbs and got 1/2 cup a day. I’d say go off of what the bag says in the beginning and change it up as you see fit. The food is pretty expensive, but the results are well worth it for me.

03/01/11  01:04am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2207535

Had to change dogfood

Lol, RaeRae just stated what I’ve been doing. My corgi use to weigh 54 whopping lbs. I tried everything. Diet food, cut portions, exersize, EVERYTHING!!! And nothing worked. Then I happened across another artist who’s a corgi breeder and they were all, "Use Sensible Choice: Reduced Cal, chicken meal and rice. Give him only a cup a day, half a cup per meal." She heavily emphasized this.

Sure enough, when I did this, he immediately showed a difference. Lost half his body weight in a year, and his joints were so much better for it. It wasn’t the exercise so much as the food and how much of it. The thing about the specific food was that it was only chicken, and only rice. No real additives, no other fillers, nothing extra or weird. And I gave him baby carrots and other vegis as treats (which he loves.)

Now he’s 27 lbs. He’s already a slightly-larger-than-normal corgi genetically; s’what my vet told me. And he has the perfect body proportion scale. So she doesn’t want me going lower on his weight, cause it’ll make him too thin.

So my prob isn’t so much getting him to lose weight as keeping him from getting it all back. I’m worried that switching him to a grain-free diet may effect him. Like Tupi1 said, it made their dogs fat.

I checked the bag of sensible choice, and I was giving him the amount for a 10 lb dog. I guess that’s the right amount, as he’s staying level at 27. The Taste of the Wild food’s 10 lb dog area is between a cup and 3/4th of a cup. I did a dog calorie counter online and it said I could feed him up to 1.5 cups, but no more. I worry, since I’m already theoretically cutting back on his food, if cutting back even more could hurt him.

Btw, I don’t think I can afford a natural diet... I also have to feed four cats and four geckos, and the cats are fine with kitty kibble.

03/01/11  01:16am

Brandy734
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2207542

Had to change dogfood

I also feed my adult dogs Taste of the Wild. I have never had a problem with them gaining any weight. They are all active dogs though, but in perfect weight. They also have super shiny coats, and are very healthy on this food. Like repfanaticlady said, the bag with bison and venison has a lot of protein 32% but the different flavors vary on how much protein is in them.

I know how frustrating finding good quality dog food can get! I (like everyone else) obsess about what my dogs eat!

Check this website out for some high quality dog foods-
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php/cat/8

03/01/11  08:51am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2207542

Had to change dogfood

I can’t afford to feed raw here either. I have 4 cats, 3 large breed dogs, and a Chihuahua. I have given them raw meat before and my GSD mix will have nothing to do with it. He buries it in the blankets in his crate. My mix breed female prefers kibble, but will eat what is given to her. The Chi, Pit Bull, and cats love raw though. I just don’t have the money and they are doing fine with the kibble they are on.

03/01/11  07:08pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2207656

Had to change dogfood

i would also like to add another famous saying my vet always preaches to everyone with dog food and weight issues. he says nothing in nature stays the same. meaning that your dog may need 2 cups of food for a while...then they get older and start gaining weight. nothing stays the same....includes dogs, cats, and even people. when we get older we can’t eat the same things we could when we were younger (well most of us lol)...and stay the same weight. metabolisms change. you just have to figure out what works for your dog.

example; for a long time i was feeding droopy 4 cups of food a day. right before he was due for vaccines i began wondering if he was too thin. to me he just seemed to be thinner than normal but he was eating the same amount of food and had the same activities, nothing had changed. so when i brought him in for his yearly i asked the vet if he was too thin. i was told that he was just a tad on the thin side. so i added another cup of food, making it 5 cups a day. he gained a couple more pounds, and it leveled off. sometimes i think i’m too much of a finatic about it...but then i think of all the dogs i saw at the clinic with all kinds of health issues due to weight. i keep him between 60 to 62lbs. when he was too thin he had lost weight and weighed 58lbs. so i say the scale and vet has to be involved.

i think you will be able to find a happy medium. because i know you’re smart and i know you want the best for your animals. good luck!

03/03/11  12:45am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area