Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Rae rae   KrazyKelli   Rae rae   Ghastly  
 Member  Message

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Aw man, boxer mix in my yard

For some reason all loose dogs in the neighborhood come into my yard, to fence bark at the German shepherds next door. Or just generally check out the fence. They all do. Then they mark all over my yard or all over the fence and my dog’s going crazy. So it’s somehow my duty to gather these dogs up, check their tags, and either walk them home or stand with them until the owners show up.

Today what looked like a boxer pitbull mix (Looked like a boxer, but it didn’t look all boxer. Was built tough and stocky, and had legs similar to a pitbull) was charging the neighbor’s fence, running around in my front yard. Yuki was going absolutely insane at the front window.

Sigh...

It was blizzarding, so I put on my coat and stuff and stepped out there to greet the dog. Couldn’t let a dog run lose in a blizzard. That’s uncool. Now normally the loose dogs I confront are nice or at least cooperative. This dog had tags on. But the second it saw me it froze then lost it. Barking, snarling, drooling everywhere. I couldn’t tell if it was play or "I’m going to kill you"; the thing was stiff and ridged, not bouncing around running. Therefore I stood there calmly, considering my options, and let it bark at me. It’s not like I’m going to turn and run back into the house. It would take me down without a thought.

A car rolls down the street slowly and low and behold, the dog’s family was out looking for it. They stopped, rolled down a window, and when I asked if this was their dog, the wife jumped out and started telling me loudly that the dog is friendly.

Ha...

They called the dog repeatedly to come. But Noooo, this dog had business to attend with me. It was way too interested in barking at me and mock charging me than going back to its owner. Therefore I had no choice. I called out, "No, don’t, I’ll come to you." And walked to the car. The dog went from facing me off to going RIGHT up to my butt and growling up close. And it nipped me once or twice on the thigh (More of a dominance thing, I felt the pinch but it didn’t hurt and there’s no damage to my pants.)

Once it got close enough to the car, it decided that the little girl in the back seat calling to it was cooler than me and jumped in. The couple thanked me like I was a savior for finding their dog and drove off, never to be seen again.

... Really, man. I know accidents happen, people’s dogs get loose all the time. But this is getting ridiculous.

02/20/11  07:45pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2206076

Btw, yesterday when my dog unexpectedly went fence barking at the German shepherds, one of them somehow jumped the 5 ft fence and roamed my yard. I threw my dog inside, called over the dog (it was a mix, half the size of the other pureblood shepherds), and dragged it back to the neighbor’s front door. Their son answered all, "How did YOU get out?" cutely. It was funny. Then they were all "Thanks Kelli!" and I went home. =P Two loose dogs in one weekend.

02/20/11  07:49pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2206077

i had a similar situation at my aunt’s house. there was a SAINT BERNARD around her house. my cousin and i were kids and went walking down the street to a friend’s house. the dog was in her friend’s front yard. when we got into the yard it began doing what you described...it actually looked just like cujo!!! same breed and all! i knew not to run, and i stood my ground while i instructed my little cousin to walk up the porch and knock on the door. the dog came charging at me, even though i hadn’t moved, and thankfully i actually had a pipe in my hand i had been walking and playing with. i simply did a "half" swing at the dog for 2 reasons. 1, i didn’t want to miss and the dog kill me...because he was that intent. and 2, i never actually wanted to hurt the dog. in the end what i found out was that the friend had a dog in her back yard that was in heat. that’s what made this male do this.

my question is i wonder if your neighbor’s dog(s) could be in heat? that would explain his behavior. and u def did the right thing in not running, cuz he would’ve probably hurt you. and i love how people automatically always say that their dog is friendly, or doesn’t bite. at the vet clinic the clients we have who say, my dog doesn’t bite, are always the ones with the biting dogs! i would definintely be cautious next time i see that dog. it’s obvious his owners do not have control over him. if my dogs were to ever get out...and they have before...when i call back for them, they come. one of my dogs dug a hole one time we didn’t know about. well all 4 of my dogs got out of the hole one night. i let them outside for about an hour to go back and find an empty yard. i freaked! i had to drive all around my neighborhood. when i came up to where my dogs were and they heard my voice, they all came straight to me and got in the car...even knowing they were in trouble!

it’s one of those unfortunate things. you don’t want to call the animal control and be mean about it, cuz i always think of the possibility of someone leaving my gate open and mine getting out. i wouldn’t want someone to call animal control on my dogs. (that was a one time thing btw with mine getting out). however you don’t want everyone else’s dogs in your yard, attacking your pets or yourself!

03/01/11  12:29am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2207534

Scary story. Large, Cujo-esque dogs sound scary. I’ve only dealt with small Cujo dogs. Been perminantly traumatized by one, in fact, because it did attack me... repeatedly... for around 10 years. You can’t recover from something like that.

The German shepherds are all fixed. They’re just very high energy and very wild. I don’t think the owners walk them enough. They told me that the dogs only act that way in the backyard, but are fine on walks. I’ve been to their house. The large female one got right up to my back-end while I was talking to the owner and nipped me hard once. Was a long time ago. I swear she’s the alpha of the group.

My corgi once escaped. It was an accident, really. My grandparents were over and we accidentally left him on the deck without the gate up. So he probably wandered off to do his own thing after realizing he had an exit. When I realized he was gone, everyone freaked and I went outside with my mother to call for him. That dog was a blazing rocket, running from so far away straight to us. Then we found tar on him and, well, I made a thread about that before =P it ended well; we got the tar off. He was fine. No one reported a viscous dog attack or missing pets. Not that I think he’s capable of doing that.

The only time he acts mean is at the doorway with strangers. I went from telling them he’s friendly to telling them he’s scared and protecting the house. They get that message far easier. It’s sad and funny, because when they step inside the house, he’s suddenly friendly or submissive. Specially to women.

Most dogs in the area are friendly. It caught me off guard that this one was not. Maybe I should be more cautious. The other day a dog was running loose, one with huge paw prints. I wasn’t around to see it, but my dog went into investigation mode when he saw the trail it left in the snow, and the piss it left on my garage door.

03/01/11  01:03am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2207537

well i guess if the germ sheps are high energy and a little on the "crazy" side that could cause it too. dogs naturally don’t like unstable energy...and i’m guessing the neighbors dogs don’t let off stable vibes...lol! and of course you know how they’re raised has a lot to do with it. and obviously if he didn’t go to the owner on the first command, then there’s definitely some lacking of training and it’s definitely the owner’s fault.

03/03/11  12:58am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2207858

Crazy! Glad you are ok though! Rae made a good point on the season but strange since the dogs are altered! I’ve never seem Cujo lol :3 but have heard about it! All I have to say is the dog and it’s owners are lucky they don’t live here or pooch wouldn’t be breathing, we have a very "no take policy! :S kinda horrid really!!

03/03/11  04:43pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area