Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Rae rae   Rae rae   Ghastly   Brandy734   Ghastly   Brandy734   Ghastly   Rae rae   Brandy734   Ghastly   Brandy734   Ghastly   Rae rae   Ghastly   Rae rae   Ghastly  
 Member  Message

Rae rae
View Profile

Pics of my girls

the server wouldn’t let me upload pics of either of my boys...and i really wanted you guys to see my male pit droopy...cuz he’s soo gorgeous. but these are pics of my girls!

megan is a registered pit bull....lol haha! tell me she’s a pure bred pit...whatever! she does have some pit in her i can tell when she makes certain faces, but i really think she has some beagle in her too. she’s only about 35lbs. and she is the BEST dog i’ve ever had! she’s about 8 years old.

and this is nina, my pretty little chihuahua. she’s so sweet. everytime i take my chihuahuas out people always say...oh my, NICE chihuahuas! haha! they love everyone and don’t have the typical chihuahua temperment. she is almost 2 years old...if not already. it’s bad i can’t remember right now how old she is!

02/10/11  10:38pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2204239

Pics of my girls

ok, finally got pics of my boys uploaded. this server is so picky!

here some pics of droopy. the first pic he was about 8 weeks old and now he’s a little over a year and around 60lbs. he loves women, and is protective over me...even with my husband lol! he’s so submissive, and cuddly, goofy, and i love him!

and this is mario, my little tiny boy chihuahua. he is 4lbs and the same age as droopy. we got them both around the same time. he LOVES LOVES LOVES children, babies, any kind of small person. definitely not typical chihuahua. he has never snapped, or even thought about acting aggressive. and he can’t even jump up on the couch on his own lol! he loves everyone and is so goofy sometimes.

and this is all 4 of my babies in the messy garage (we just bought this house and are still unpacking) ready to go back inside. they all get along really well together. i’ve only had a couple of episodes which is expected with a pack of dogs, but i’ve corrected them and they all do fine!

02/10/11  10:55pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2204244

Pics of my girls

Oh I love your little family!!!! XD Droopey isn’t half a handsome fellow is he? It’s good you have taught your Chihuahua’s manners (not that I’d expect you not to like others I know well on here) I find the aggressive/snappy/ill mannered ones are always owned by Paris Hilton wannabes and it’s ashame as like bad press bout larger breeds it does give the Chihuahua a bad name!
But thank you for sharing :D

02/11/11  05:07am

Brandy734
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2204284

Pics of my girls

Oh your bully boy is GORGEOUS! I was thinking about getting mine a crop job too, but unsure. How old was he when he got cropped? And how about the aftercare? I’ve been reading online about it but everywhere I go, all I find is how its a cruel and cosmetic surgery that shouldn’t be done. About half of all pittys around where I live have cropped ears.

-Brandy

02/11/11  09:16am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Brandy734   In reference to Message Id: 2204292

Pics of my girls

I’m not sure about America but the Dobes get there ears crop and cut at a minimum of 7weeks (I always do 8), the earlier it is done the better chance of a good stand and a healthy ear. I keep them in there cone’s for 3weeks the first two weeks I keep the cup on, then the last week I give them 5 - 10mins "breathing" without the cup on and to help encourage the ears to stay erect by themselves. Then after that they get the splints and I just repeat the same procedure.
That works for me and never had unsuccessful crop cut job. But it’s eat asking your vet what they recommend and when enquiring ask if they have a photo album of the dogs they have done. Yet again here it protocol to take photo of dogs that get a tail dock and a ear crop cut to show a good healthy ear and tail, the photo conclude of an erect tail and ear, down tail and ear o same dog to give proof no nerve endings were damaged. But different country different rule.

I have to say I think the boys look nice with crop cut ears than the girls, and I love how in America Boxer and Great Daneget there ears done :D we don’t do that in Europe -’apart from Germany who do the GD ears but it’s very rare for breeds apart from the Neapolitan Mastiff, Perro de Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino, APBT (occasionally) and Dobermann to get crop cut.

02/11/11  09:44am

Brandy734
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2204296

Pics of my girls

Okay thank you! Capone is 7 weeks as of yesterday. I’m going to call around and get prices and see what vets actually do it. I don’t think cropping or tail docking is inhumane as long as its done by a vet. Around here you get idiot kids who put rubberbands around their pit bulls ears for about 3 days, then cut them off theirselfs- now that is cruel.

I like pits with their ears natural or cropped. I like my boxers floppy though, because they are so goofy cropped ears just don’t fit em. In my opinion- I like dobes ears cropped too.

I thought maybe the aftercare of cropping a pit bulls ears may be different because they seem to crop pits ears shorter than they do a dobe or a boxers ears. I’m going to talk with one of my vets- seein’s my main doctor wont see pits or rotts!

Another thing that I was worried about was the way my dogs roughhouse together, it seems like his ears would constantly get bumped or hurt during play with the other dogs. I guess if I keep an eye on it, or if hes wearing a cone it would be a less of chance to get bumped.

-Brandy

02/11/11  10:00am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Brandy734   In reference to Message Id: 2204307

Pics of my girls

Bands on ears? How does that work? We take a muscle out of the ear and move it onto another part to make the ear stand up. But that baffles me how a band works?! How do they cut the ear after? I’m used to calling it a crop cut as If you just ask for a crop here, the ear gets cropped but not cut to shape.

I know here we have different cuts for Dobe ears we have show which is tall and lean (what I use on girls), working which is short but quite a taper point resembles a triangle (use on my boys). But a Dobe will never get cut as short a Bullie types I believe it’s called "fight" cut? Or at least that’s what I heard it’s called, obviously due to fighting dog getting them cut short so the other dog can’t grab ahold of.

I don’t AT ALL think it’s inhumane unless it’s not preformed by a experienced vet and doesn’t get correct aftercare with these two things it’s THEN inhumane. I think some people are just nieve about docking and crop cuts like crate training.

Keep an eye when they play, they can rough house but just make sure his cup then his splints don’t get lop sideded or come off then it’s ruined his ears. But we have Dobe pups working rough and easy with there’s on and ain’t had a problem as the cup and splint is rather secure.

02/11/11  10:49am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2204317

Pics of my girls

i think getting ears cropped on the "right" pit bull looks beautiful. i mean think about it...show dogs have their ears cropped. and i’m sure every vet is different but this is what my vet does; he doesn’t do them before about 10 weeks old. normally between 10-12. the reason is because of when puppy teeth are coming in. he says that before that age is when certain teeth are coming in which can draw calcium from the ears to the teeth...therefore making them not as likely to stand correctly.

also he NEVER uses an e-collar. funny how vets have their own quirks about them. now with pit bull cuts, the ears are actually a lot shorter than some breeds so it probably wouldn’t be that big of a deal. however the reason he doesn’t use e-collars is because the collar can sit on the ears and make them lay down and not stand right. actually...sometimes he doesn’t even have to use splints on pit cuts, depends on the ear.

you need a vet that has a good eye...because it is plastic surgery and you want the ears even. he pulls the ears to a certain point on the head (to a point at their eye) and clamps them with hemostats. he then makes sure that the amount of ear he has clamped is even on both sides. he then cuts that portion of the ear off. after that, it’s all about shaping. he does it by sight after that and shapes the ear according to what the owner wants...(standard, show cut, and one i hate...fighting cut). he will then tape them up with a splint. they stay at the clinic anywhere from 2 to 4 days making sure they will stand, that there’s no infection, and the dog will leave the ears alone. my vet includes the entire stay at the clinic in the price of the surgery. in case he sees the dog needs to stay longer, price will not interfere with a good job and the ears can be sure to heal.

if the dog decides to scratch at his ears, then we hobble their back legs-which is basically taping their back legs together. not to the point that they can’t walk, just so they don’t have enough wiggle room to reach their ears with their back feet.

make sure you find a vet with a good rep for crops because we have had to fix other vets botch jobs that were horrible. a pit is the easiest, and i would say that a great dane is probably the hardest. the bigger the ear, the harder it is for it to stand and more complications you can have. his stitches stayed in for 10 days, and i took him back in to get them removed. another thing my vet normally doesn’t do is use absorbable sutures. the reason is because he wants to see his patients back and check their incision sites. he never charges for that visit either. he just truly wants to check on his patient after surgery.

good luck with finding a good one. most vets here won’t do it anymore because it is a very time consuming surgery. most newer younger vets will not do it. you have to find the older ones to get what you want done. i love my vet....he’s also my boss lol!

02/11/11  09:59pm

Brandy734
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2204317

Pics of my girls

Ghastly- Yup, some kids around here will put rubber bands around the dogs ears for like 3 days or so to numb them, and then just totally cut the ear off with scissors. You can tell when a dog has a home done cropping. It looks like a "fight cut". The ear is just totally gone!

Thanks for the info you guys. I will be calling around on Monday to see what vets will do it. I know there is one about 30 minutes or so away from me that crops ears for super cheap, and he is known to have horrible crop cuts!

02/12/11  09:06am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Brandy734   In reference to Message Id: 2204493

Pics of my girls

Oh that’s awful! I seen on the Internet once as I refused a dog as it was home-crop cutted and had a investigation into it. I found a webite that said all you need is 3 things to do your dogs ears - 1) butcher block/thick slab of wood, 2)scalpel or sharp short bladed knife 3)warm water soaked towels.
It said for you to have a friend hold the dog sturdy in position with it’s head facing the ground and it’s eat spread on the wooden block/slab and take the scalpel or knife and cut away but here’s where it was funny it said "THE DOG WILL NOT FEEL A THING" I have one word BULLSH*T!!!! Why do they think painkillers and anaesthetic were made?! I just hope people aren’t stupid and believe it, but then again I’m not surprised by anything these days and what Brandy said about the rubber bands doesn’t really surprise me either! Yes you may save money but at the end of the day it’s all about the animals welfare and if they really cared for it they would pay a professional like always it’s the animals who suffer not us!

02/13/11  06:07pm

Brandy734
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2204741

Pics of my girls

Yeah right- Pit bulls may have a high pain tolerance but that does not mean a dog can not feel their ears getting cut off! There is a reason they use anesthesia while doing ear cropping. I just dont see how someone could look in the eyes of their dog, and cut their ears off like that themselves. What a crazy world we live in!

02/14/11  04:17pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Brandy734   In reference to Message Id: 2204928

Pics of my girls

I don’t either Brandy, and I admit I love the cropped look on many breeds but Milla, I LOVE her floppy ears that are bigger than her head they add character, humour and fun and no way on the earth would I cut them off!! Not Evan for all the money in the world or to spare my life there just so fun, big and cute XD
But I don’t see either how you could cut them off in a barbaric way or Evan use rubber bands and then look at your dog afterwards with some of the Dobes that I would get done despite they arsenic for work purpose to help prevent there ears getting torn off I would at times think "what have I done?!"

02/14/11  05:48pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2204950

Pics of my girls

all in all, it is a cosmetic surgery. just like tail docks. actually tail docks are more horrible if you ask me. the puppies get it done at 3 to 5 days old with no drugs. i guess it’s like a baby being circumsized as an infant. they don’t remember anything, but still...i hate watching puppies get it done. but...if we didn’t offer that service, more people would be doing it themselves and there would not only be dogs with horrible home botch jobs, but lots of puppies probably dying from infection from things not being sterile.

but, i have even seen someone put a rubber band on an adult dog’s tail so it can cut off circulation and it will fall off. they do it to puppies too. that is way more horirble than getting the vet to do it if you ask me. we had a woman who bred cane corsos and she did everything herself...which i don’t agree with. even ear crops...and they always looked horrible and infected. my vet actually refused to see her dogs and give them health certif anymore. i’d like to say people amaze me, but actually it’s so common now hearing the stupid things people do with their animals that almost nothing amazes me anymore.

02/15/11  03:52pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2205130

Pics of my girls

I have to say we band dogs tails here same way as sheep! Either pups are taken to the vets or unless you have vet medical certificate you can do it yourself at home with a vet over your shoulder. Either way a vet has to sign a document with there name, signiture, date, time, dog gender and breed along with measurement and weight and the surgery they work at and where it was done.
I will be honest in saying I did do the pups tails myself due to attending vet school but have always had a vet from my local surgery which has always been Allan as he sees all my pets and Dobes. But I have never had a infection, health issue, nerve damage maybe because I know what to do?
Don’t get me wrong I dot exactly like doing it but if they were pet dogs they would be full intact it’s only because there not they get done. But at the end of the day it’s the way my country works I can’t change it although I would like to, it’s like we aren’t allowed to spay are dogs or cats as it apparently causes health issue there only neutered if you can pass a questionnaire I ge mine all done Evan Milla (call it a bribery) but despite that we are far from a pet over population and strays we don’t have them.

02/15/11  05:00pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2205146

Pics of my girls

what?! you’re not allowed to spay? how crazy is that. man...if i had to pick one or the other i would choose to spay. you don’t have to deal with the mess of the heat cycle, bleeding all over the house, diapers, male dogs going nuts. because even though a male is neutered doesn’t mean he doesn’t know what the smell is lol! and in my opinion its more affective in preventing things like female cancer, pyometra, and i’m sure many more i can’t think of at the moment.

wow, that is nuts! i wonder, what kind of health problems do they say that it causes?

02/16/11  10:23pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2205375

Pics of my girls

We are just told it shortens there life, causes bad health and promotes illness. We are only allowed to spay/neuter if we have both genders under one roof, the opposite gender living next door - but only if the male can easily get to the female, if your dog is a wonderer - male or female and there is another but I forgot.
All my dogs are neutered.
And despite we are only allowed to spay under set instructions it will amaze you that we don’t have strays, pet over population, kennels bursting at the seams, puppies always on sale either. We are very careful but Evan still there will always be some sort of accident somewhere over here.

02/17/11  05:33am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area