Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Vwvixen02   KrazyKelli   Vwvixen02  
 Member  Message

Vwvixen02
View Profile

Do I adopt another boxer or do I wait?

So here is my situation...I have a ten year old male boxer Tyson I adopted when he was 1 from a rescue. Hes the love of my life and sadly was diagnosed with cancer this summer...I have a 3 year old female boxer Mischa that is my princess I adopted last june and has an over abundance of energy as we all know boxers do. I run her everday and on weekends we go on long hikes to wear her out but she still insists on jumping on my Tysons back and trying to get him to play. He does as much as he can but gets tired very fast and some days isnt feeling well and just wants to sleep. My little mischa girl needs a friend I feel like. I have been playing with the idea of adopting another boxer for some time now. To help her with play time as well as the transition when Tyson does pass. I do not know if I should look for a male or another female friend for her? Also Should i adopt now or wait until Tyson is gone? I dont want him to be stressed out during his last year with me so I have been leaning towards waiting...but im not certain. Its going to be extremely hard for me and i would never try to replace him with any dog but I need to think of Mischa. I need some advice from you all.

12/29/10  08:53am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Vwvixen02   In reference to Message Id: 2194981

Unless Tyson is going to live Years and not months, you should hold off on getting a new dog. Getting a ’playmate’ for your younger dog wont necessarily mean that they’ll instantly leave Tyson alone. In fact, they may both gang up on him.

The biggest thing to think about is the ’replacement’ factor. I once got a kitten while my one cat was dieing of bone marrow cancer over a decade ago. The expression on his face, heartbreak, and sudden downfall in health said it all. I will always wait from now on and never go through that again. It was cruelty in it’s finest.

If anything, you should wait a few months until After Tyson has passed on so your other day can get over any grieving it may have. A sad owner, sadder dog, is going to upset the balance of the household. If you go into looking for a new dog with anxiety, or an upset attitude, or your younger dog is grieving, the new dog will make many attempts to dominate everything. You also may impulse buy a dog with the wrong temperament, or with a misleading temperament in this situation. So it’s always best to wait.

The only time you don’t have to wait is if the dog is getting on in age, but isn’t too old. Then it can teach the new dog (puppy, especially) the run of the place and it’ll be easier to house train it.

12/29/10  03:21pm

Vwvixen02
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2195029

Thank you, that was great advice

12/31/10  07:28am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area