Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Dogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Repfanaticlady29   Ghastly   Repfanaticlady29   Reptictale92   Repfanaticlady29   Reptictale92   Repfanaticlady29   Steveyb   Reptictale92   Repfanaticlady29   Reptictale92   Repfanaticlady29   Repfanaticlady29   Repfanaticlady29   Mk17rules   Repfanaticlady29   Sharlotte   Repfanaticlady29   Reptictale92   Reptictale92   Reptictale92   Rae rae   Reptictale92   Rae rae   Rae rae   Reptictale92   Mk17rules   Reptictale92   Cheesehead   Rae rae  
Pages 1 2 Next

Member  Message

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

The 10 Most Dangerous Pit Bulls in Existence

Well, today is National Pit Bull awareness day, or as lots of people like to call it "I own a Pit Bull!" day. Soooo, I thought I’d share this cute blog I saw posted on Facebook.Link
Also, if you have a Facebook account you might like to add this page to your "like" list.
Link
Please send out positive vibes for this pretty girl to find a home soon. Her name is Shay and she’s been at our local humane society for over 6 months now. The stress is literally eating away at her. She has lost 10 pounds so far. She was in a foster home for about a month where she did put a few pounds back on, but now she’s back in the shelter and losing that weight again. With her being a senior, a pit bull, and not able to live with other pets it is very hard to find her a home, so please just send thoughts and prayers to this poor girl. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17361114

That’s all. Thanks for looking and don’t forget to love a Pit Bull or two today!

10/23/10  04:44am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2182834

I never knew it was "I own a PitBull" day today :D all the best for the old girl she has a lovely face and love the ears they give her some character :)

Hug a Bullie today everyone they deserve it for all the love we give them they give 10x much more back in a single day so really spoil these pups the day!!

10/23/10  06:52am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2182842

Yesterday was a good day. We didn’t have any events close enough to attend, but we did go to a workshop at the shelter called the responsi-bull project. We got to hear about the do’s and don’ts of owning a pit bull and got to hear about their history. We also took a breed identification test. It was a nice workshop even if I did attend the same one almost 2 years ago. Lady will be going to a 4 week obedience training class in preparation to take her CGC test. Her first class is next Saturday.

After we got done with the workshop I walked through the kennels and visited with the dogs. I didn’t see Shay, so hopefully she went to another foster home. I’ll find out on my next volunteering day.

10/24/10  04:14pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2183134

Pitbull hands down are the best breed of dog.:)

11/22/10  04:12pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2189015

I prefer mutt dogs, but APBTs are good dogs. This is my mix, Lady.

She just finished 4 weeks of obedience training. We still have a lot to work on before she can test to get CGC certified, but she’ll get it. She’s the biggest cuddle bug. We love her.

11/22/10  10:12pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2189076

Thats a mixs? I doesn’t look it looks like a blue pitbull.

11/23/10  12:31am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2189088

She’s AmBully/APBT. She gets the blue from the Bully. I wouldn’t call her purebred because she’s 23" and 60 lbs. A true APBT is around 19" and 35-45 lbs. Whoever produced her obviously bred their dogs for color and no other reason. This poor girl has skin issues, bad teeth, and hip problems. She eats grain free high quality food, so that’s not the problem. And I of course found her at the shelter where most of these dogs end up. Stupid BYBs.

11/23/10  12:16pm

Steveyb
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2189140

since you guys have nice bulls could you give me some advice. weve had him since hes a puppy hes about a year and 6 months. i watched those videos and theres no way id let my dog get near a baby. if my dog saw a duck he would probably rip it to shreds in a sec. i wish i could take him to parties but theres noway i could do that. the only dog he ever got along with was another pitbull. i love my dog But hes an . he can be sweet but sometimes he goes crazy. he used to bite all the time when he was a pup he grew out of it but he still snaps sometimes. were all of your pits like this at this age adn they grew out of it, or do i have a problem?. please any help will be greatly appreciated

11/23/10  03:18pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Steveyb   In reference to Message Id: 2189170

You need to train him. Pitbull’s love to please so when he does not do something that is right punish him and when he does do something good let him no it.

11/23/10  04:47pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Steveyb   In reference to Message Id: 2189170

True APBTs are known to be dog aggressive and have a high prey drive. The snapping at people is not in their nature and if it’s done aggressively then the dog should be put down before it seriously hurts somebody and ends up on the news. If it’s done in play then just train the dog that it’s not right. When the dog nips just make a high pitched squeal and turn away. That’s what always worked for all of my dogs.

It really sounds like you may need the help of a trainer/behaviorist that has pit bull experience though....even just to have them watch him and tell you what you can do differently. Most negative behaviors from dogs are to be blamed on the humans. I had to take my youngest dog to a trainer because my training methods that have worked on all other dogs were not working with her, so the trainer needed to fix my behaviors in order to fix hers. She became an AKC Canine Good Citizen at 8 months old after we trained together. Also, obedience training is a very good way to become closer to your dog and understand each other better.

11/23/10  07:39pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2189216

Quote:

True APBTs are known to be dog aggressive and have a high prey drive.

This is a 100% a myth. When you have a pit bull it is you the owner responsibility to train that dog right. Pit bulls are the most friendly dogs you will find if you train them to be. I had an trainer that told me it all depends on the dog and that I will not be able to keep some off my dogs with each other, well I like to say I proved her wrong. I have my 2 pit bulls, 1 French mastiff, and 1 German rottweiler all together and they all play with each other and no they are not pup’s. If your pit is snapping at people it is because lack of training, but good for you that you have a dog that well love nothing more to please yourself.

11/23/10  10:15pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2189231

It is not a myth. American Pit Bull Terriers were bred for bull baiting and pit fighting with other dogs, so only dogs with gameness and high prey drives were bred. Most dogs called pit bulls today are not true APBTs such as my dog, Lady. There are very few dogs she has met that she doesn’t like. She is also terrified of my cats. She has no gameness, very little prey drive, and also very little energy. Most people cannot handle this kind of pit bull much less the true APBT. That’s why you rarely, if ever, see them around. Heck, most people wouldn’t even know what they’re looking at if they saw the original and true APBT.

11/24/10  03:03am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

I don’t want to participate in another "what’s myth and fact" debate about APBTs, so I’ll leave you and whoever else with some references. Any book by Richard F. Stratton on the APBT is a great read. Here’s an article about their history: http://www.realpitbull.com/history.html, and another http://www.southernpitbulls.com/history.html, and another http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo.html. The ADBA (American Dog Breeders Association) is where you will find the most true to form APBTs: http://www.adbadog.com/p_gallary.asp?fsid=5&pg=5. The breed is also registered in the UKC, but most of these dogs are considered the modern day APBT (what most people know). These modern dogs are also known to be dog aggressive and have high prey drives. This DOES NOT mean all dogs experience it, but it’s not a fault if they do. It has, after all, been bred into them for many years. Nurturing, training, and socializing your dog is awesome, but it will not take away the nature in it.

There are also a few forums for pit bull lovers and owners that want to become more educated and responsible: www.gopitbull.com, http://therealpitbull.pro boards.com/index.cgi (take out the space between pro & boards), and http://www.pitbull-chat.com/. Now that I’m finished hijacking my own thread I ask that you at least look at these sites I posted before continuing to hijack it any further. Thank you.

11/24/10  04:09am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2189263

Shay update: She is in a foster home and is doing great. Nobody has shown interest in adopting her yet. Glad she’s not rotting away in the shelter all the same. I hope her current foster home can keep her until she gets adopted.

11/24/10  02:06pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

i agree with the person who noticed that . PITBULLS ARE NOT MEAN!!!! THEY ARE TRAINED . with good training they wont be mean . GET FACTS STRAIGHT PEOPLE!!!

12/24/10  05:10am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2194123

Well, nobody said they were mean, so I guess you agree with everybody. Like I said, don’t argue until you have looked at the links and actually know the breed’s history.

12/24/10  09:18pm

Sharlotte
View Profile

gotta say I really hate the rap these poor dogs get. Most of them are amazing loving family dogs. (yes i said family!) I’ve been around dogs all my life and been training them for about 7, these fun bully breeds are one of my fav’s. Most trainers wont touch ’em, not sure why so i get a lot coming though. Funniest thing is, in all my years around dogs, the little ones have bitten me more than the big ones. lol Thanks for supporting the breed and getting this info out there!

01/02/11  12:15pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Sharlotte   In reference to Message Id: 2195745

Yeah. I hate their bad rap too, but I also hate when people call them perfect little angels, consider them being dog aggressive a fault, and completely ignore their history. The uneducated Pit Bull lovers are almost as bad as the uneducated Pit Bull haters.

Forgot to update on Shay. She found a home in November and is doing great! Still super happy about that and glad the new owner sends the shelter regular updates on her.

01/03/11  12:40am

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2195931

To you whom ever you are I have done my studies on the breed an you are wrong you need to re study an get more facts instead of reading one book an saying this is what is the truth. Pitbull were not breed to fight the were breed to yes hunt hogs, but they had to be trained for that. Then the became a "Nanny dog" in the 1800’s they were the dog that you wanted around your kids that you wanted to protect your kids. They were the dog that with traing like any other dog just better became the best breed, because of their high level of pleasing is why they were no other dog has that. in the 1900’s is when they were introduced into dog fighting first case was in Alaska. It is not the breed it is the owner. An for you to say that they are not what us pitbull supporters say are the best breed you are the reason people say kill them. You my friend say they have a prey drive makes people snap an say kill them they are monsters so you my friend needs o in better words shut the hell up. I cant stand people like you hell I was like you in till I read more then a couple of books. Did you know a Pitbull terrier passed the temperament test??? A test that puts the dogs through stages like how they get along with other dogs, animals, kids, people the got second. Seriously shut up an read more if not don’t talk about pitbulls cause idiots like you are not helping the breed what so ever"I also hate the rep they have" No your not cause if you were you would not saying what you are with out reading more. PITBULLS ARE THE BEST BREED IN THE WORLD HANDS DOWN. SAVE A PITBULL GET RID OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

12/12/11  12:50am

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2246921

Quote:

American Pit Bull Terriers were bred for bull baiting

Get your facts straight it was a bulldog that was used to bait bulls. Here is the description that went with the photo.

Quote:

Here is a depiction
of a bulldog doing
what this type of
dog was created to
do - bait bulls.

Bulldogs were one
of the breeds used
to create the
modern APBT.
Bulldog history is
often mistakenly
applied to Pit Bulls.

Here is the web site http://www.realpitbull. com/history.html

12/12/11  12:58am

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2246922

Bulldogs an I will say it again BULLDOGS were used in fighting in the early 1800s late 1700s not to be bad named on bulldogs, but they gave pitbulls there bad name. People like you confused pitbulls history with the bulldog. An my page that I offered you clearly states in 1907 is when UKC got in trouble for not protecting the pitbull from dog fighting. I proved you an your moronic author wrong so shut the hell up.

12/12/11  01:06am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2246923

This post makes me very sad. I had the BEST Pit Bull ever! I am going to have to upload some pics of him. His name was Droopy. He weighed 74lbs, was a light tan color, cropped ears, very large head...absolutely beautiful!!! I do realize for the standard that is too big but he was gorgeous to me the same. Absolutely docile and submissive personality. I have a baby that just turned 9 months on the 11th. I have 2 Chihuahuas and an English Bulldog. They completely tolerate the baby...but Droopy LOVED the baby. NEVER EVER rough or inappropriate with him as I am very strict in my dog training. The Wed night before Thanksgiving I walked out in my backyard to let my dogs in. Droopy and my English (Smacks) was gone! I did find Smacks...however Droopy was MIA! My husband and I searched for him until 2am. That night before we went to bed we made and stuck fliers on everyone’s mailbox in the neighborhood. There was a board in our fence that the dogs were able to move to the side and they got out.

We searched for him all Thanksgiving day. I posted on Craigslist, the local Shopper paper, and posted more fliers in local petstores. I called every friend and relative in the area...offered a reward for his return, etc. Sunday afternoon we ventured out to search for him, and put out more fliers. On the way back home my husband spotted him at a business right across the street from our house. He was laying by the porch and he was already dead! He had been hit by a car (we live on a main highway) and had major head trauma and ran up off the road to the business where he laid down perfectly on his stomach and passed away.

It was not a very good Thanksgiving for us at all. My heart completely broke that day. And what makes me mad is that I’m a vet tech and inspecting his body I knew he hadn’t long been hit. Which meant if I would’ve come back home just a bit sooner than I did...maybe I would’ve seen him trying to get back home and could’ve saved him.

He was one of the best dogs I’ve had. To make it worse...my other Pit Bull died 6 months ago for the same reason. She actually dug a hole which she had never done before in the 6 years I’ve had her and was later hit by a car. I have had really bad luck. I do plan on getting another puppy...but not at the moment. I will when I have enough time to devote to raising and training one. Having a baby and working full time there’s no time for a puppy.

But YES...Pit Bulls are DEFINITELY bred for their aggression towards dogs! They were bred to fight other dogs in a pit...HENCE THE NAME PIT BULLS. However, with proper training, discipline, care, AND socialization...they make the absolute best dogs.

I REALLY miss my pits!

12/14/11  01:34am

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2247113

Quote:

But YES...Pit Bulls are DEFINITELY bred for their aggression towards dogs! They were bred to fight other dogs in a pit...HENCE THE NAME PIT BULLS.

Look I am sorry to hear about your loss, but for you to say something like that is just moronic. You are not helping the breed whats so ever. I am from what kids say the hood an they didn’t just use pit bulls, I seen labs, Shepperd’s, mastiff’s, rotties, hound dogs, dobermans, so for you to say that just makes me sad cause you seem like a person that cares for pit bulls. A dog has to be trained to fight just because of a name that was given to them don’t make them who they are. My pit bull is not dog aggressive whats so ever since it was a baby he is one year old now an plays with cats, small dogs, an big dogs even plays with other pit bulls. So please if your just going to say something like that don’t get another pit bull they don’t need someone to have them an say "oh yeah she is a wonderful dog but she doesn’t get along with other dogs cause duh she is a pit". Again I am sorry to hear about your loss truely am but get your facts straight. PIT BULLS WERE NOT BRED TO BE PUT IN A RING TO FIGHT. They came to in late 1800’s to be a family dog came to America in 1907 an 1927-30 they were fought.

12/14/11  02:21am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2247118

Well I’m sorry you didn’t have your facts straight but in the late 1800s bull baiting was banned (killing bulls) so people had to find another sport. Pit Bulls do have tendencies to be aggressive towards dogs. A dog is a dog no matter what...but just like an Australian Shep has tendencies to herd...a Pit has tendencies as well. I never said that they are ALWAYS dog aggressive. And as a matter of fact, my Pit was raised with 2 chihuahuas, and yes he almost killed one when he was about 7 months old. Was an emergency visit. With a correction he never did it again...and she lived. He was the best dog. To say that a breed doesn’t have bred in traits is actually wrong. Breeds are bred not only for looks but certain trait qualities as well.

And as far as in THE HOOD, uuuhhh...I live in one of the top 5 highest crime rate cities in the country!! My husband is an undercover police officer, who deals with dog fights all the time. I am also a vet tech who have dealt with about 400 pits in about 5 years....and only have seen 2 aggressive pits.

So if I were to say that they were bred with the trait to be affectionate towards people would you have corrected that too? Just saying that as much as I love Pits, I do NOT deny that they are considered a power breed, and with no training or socialization they can do WAY more damage than the normal labrador. You can’t deny what a breed was bred for....that IS how they got their name! Yes, they make WONDERFUL family pets...and socialized with other dogs...supervised...they do wonderful with other animals as well. I deal on a day to day basis with complete morons that come into my clinic that give pits a bad name....Even had one guy come in and ask us to reverse a spay!!! That’s the kind of people who are breeding here!

So, no offense here...but after doing an extensive research paper on their history and such in college, i do remember some of the facts. And yes I love them...and it’s not right not knowing me to tell me not to get a pit bull. thank you come again!

12/23/11  10:39pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2247118

Please watch before you call someone a moron....that tends to be offensive! So, yes I may have went off some...however...having dealt with more pits than the norm...I am not an idiot! I did not in any way with my original post try to set off any fires...just posting an educated opinion. And to take it to the level of calling me moronic....not necessary.

12/23/11  11:41pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2248297

what you say an do, to me is completely moronic. Pit bulls were not breed to bait bulls bull dogs were an it is very common that you will mix the history of the two mixed. The reason I called you an idiot as I will call anybody that’s says pit bull were meant to be in a pit. If you say that you are to me moronic. I find it offensive that you say you love pit bulls but yet don’t seem to want to do more studies on them but read a little an believe its the truth. Pit bulls were breed to be a family word an since you like throwing name they were called the old family dog, and the nanny dog. So before you go out telling people "oh yes they were bred to fight" as a pitbull supporter I hate it an try to correct it.

12/26/11  10:57pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2248542

it makes me mad when people say they were bred for fighting!!! because i have countless pitbulls in my neighborhood and only one is very skiddish and can snap but its because she has been beat badly and i have called animal control they just keep giving her back to those owners though i have no idea why they do but they unfortunatly keep giving her back to her abusive owners........... but like i said only one has been known to jus snap out of maybe 17 pitbulls in my neighborhood ! n plus the ones my family and friends have had not one of them has ever tried biting me or any of my dogs! so NO THEY WERENT BRED TO FIGHT OTHER DOGS IN PITS!!!!! god its people like u who get other people hatin on pitbulls ! they are really good loyal obediant pets! and that is how i see them ! not as fighters or aggressive! i see them as any other pet! i am actually going to run a pitbull rescue when im hoping 17 i am very excited to help all the pitbulls that need my help where i live and even further! my saying is "JUDGE THE DEED, NOT THE BREED!"

12/28/11  06:22am

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2248689

Plain an simple pitbulls were ment to be a family dog/working dog back in the 1700s they didnt have a line of non or fighting dog so that they were bred to fight bull crap is stupid. I been around dogs my whole life an I love pitbulls the most. I know people like you who say the same kind of crap you say then they talk with me an change.

The last picture is my dozer turning his head at you, because you are one of those people who lies about him.

12/29/11  11:54pm

Cheesehead
View Profile

Pitbulls really are not dangerous dogs its the owners who raise them to be that way, Pitbulls has aways taken the blame for its owners.Training your pitbulls in a positive manner when they’re puppies and they are more than likely to grow up to be nice loving pets.

blue pitbulls
pitbulls for sale
pitbull puppies

01/13/12  05:53pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Cheesehead   In reference to Message Id: 2250912

First of all let me explain, when you feel that someone is wrong, and you would like to change their views...it’s probably not a good idea to attack them and call them an idiot and a moron. That would make most people go into defense mode and not see anything you were talking about....so said my psychology professor. It’s better to speak to them in an intelligent manner to maybe get your point across without making them feel like they’re being attacked from all sides. When you attack someone from all sides and you include very immature things like name calling...you normally don’t get a good response. So let’s all try to be mature in this post and try to refrain from calling me an idiot or a moron. Thankfully I am someone who will now overlook this and try to learn...instead of just disregarding everything that was said. I am not someone that thinks that I am holier than thou and will not listen to anyone.

Anyway, since I have read this I have desperately dug and dug to find my old research paper from years ago when I was in college. I have now found the semi rough draft...which doesn’t even state all the references I used...but I did get a bit of information from it that brought my memory back somewhat. By the way, all of my references I do remember had to be approved by my professor before I could do the paper because she had to make sure they were credible references.

What I have is that bull baiting was banned in 1835. This was not done by the pit bull, but by another type of bulldog. After that, people wanted their amusement still, and therefore (from what I gathered), possibly mixed in a type of terrier and then put them in a pit with rats. The dog would be put into the pit with rats and had a time limit to kill as many rats as possible. After a while of doing that, people got bored and wanted a new "sport" and introduced dog fighting into this breed. This was still done in a pit. That’s where their affection with people comes into play. What I read said that the dogs were SPECIFICALLY bred for affection towards people...because the owners of the dogs had to be in the pit with the dogs while fighting. Therefore if a dog showed aggression during a fight to a person, it was put down. So thereby "genetically" breeding the dog for affection towards humans. Some behavior characteristics in dogs are genetic...and that cannot be argued. That’s where in my research I found that this breed of dog originated as fighting other dogs. Yes other breeds are used for this as well, but most of the time as bait dogs...so as my husband tells me because he is an undercover police officer that deals with these dog fighting rings and busting these people. So to tell me that I should not own a pit bull, when my husband stops dog fighting and arrests people for it, and the fact that I have even had people sign over to me their pit puppies when they couldn’t afford parvo treatments, is just kind of hurtful. My dogs get the best of medical care...and I also METICULOUSLY train all of my dogs. I don’t just mean sit and stay...but heal off leash, extremely socialized, and I make sure all of my dogs set an example of what the breed should be. Example; I have 2 Chihuahuas, and THEY DO NOT BITE! They don’t bite with children, going to the vet, being given shots, etc. They completely behave. As do any other breed I have including the 2 pits I have owned before.

So all I was trying to say is that you cannot deny what a dog was bred for. I was never saying that a pit bull is a bad dog...they are my favorite breed of dog. I know for a fact that almost NEVER will I get bit by a pit bull when it walks into my clinic. And having dealt with roughly 400 pit bulls, maybe more, in the past 5 years...I have only seen three that were aggressive. I would’ve said 2 but just saw one the other day that tried to take the doctor’s face off...literally. Bad breeding.

So instead of calling me names and telling me I’m an idiot...why not give me some resources that I can look up to see the research that you have done. I am a huge pit bull fan, and would love to know that they were not bred for fighting. But in the same sense, I always, no matter what, tell people that training with some breeds is a luxury...but training a pit bull, or any power breed is a necessity. My last pit bull was very well socialized and very well trained. However was also very territorial. Would not let any man walk onto my property without me or my husband present. That’s ok, because that’s the nature of a dog. My last german shepherd actually stopped someone from breaking into my house 3 different times that I know of. And as far as my research went, that’s how they got their name as a pit bull...because they fight in a pit. So if they’re not bred for fighting, I ask how did they get their name?

I live in a city that is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY crime ridden. A LOT of people fighting dogs. I have seen many many fighting dogs walk into my clinic. Funny how when I knew it was a fighting dog (mainly by the scars) that was the sweetest dog towards people. I could do anything with that dog. However, I had to have strict control over my patient walking through the clinic because it would lunge and try to kill every single animal in another cage it came across. I just wish I could take some of you to work with me. I mean they really need a show about what really goes on behind the scenes of a vet clinic...I can tell you plenty of horrifying stories as well as funny ones. Most of my day is actually spent TEACHING people about how to train their dog. Especially after Christmas...because everyone gets a puppy for the holidays...but nobody works with their dog and trains it.

Anywho, only reason I do tell people they’re bred for fighting dogs is because I have seen a VERY VERY VERY large number of these dogs come into my clinic that are extremely dog aggressive. It’s a real shame when it happens as I know with proper socialization they can be wonderful. But I have always said that you cannot deny what a dog is bred for. An Australian Shepherd is bred for herding dogs...and therefore may bite and nip at your children’s heels. A lab is bred to be a working dog and to retrieve so if you stick him just in a small yard, he will dig holes and be what you think is a "bad" dog because he is bored with no job to do. Dogs are bred for certain reasons and when you deny it is when I see that my clients have extreme trouble with their dogs. I have told people that come into my clinic what I know about pit bulls. They are the best dogs when it comes to being a family dog. However make sure you socialize them with other dogs, as they do have a tendency to be aggressive towards other dogs. I don’t think that’s bad advice as every dog should be socialized.

But if you can give me some resources and some credible places to look that says that a pit was not bred to fight in a pit, and where they got their name, and that they were never bred for that purpose...I would gladly research that. I am in no way thinking I am God on any subject...as you should never think you are the all knowing on anything either.

Thank you...please no more name calling. Let’s be mature and not act like we’re in 5th grade...as I have not seen school in many many years. Just an animal lover like the rest of you...so no reason to go left wing on me!

02/06/12  01:20am

Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area