Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Stevez   ShadowAceD   Getscared   CapeCobra   ShadowAceD   CapeCobra   Repfanaticlady29   CapeCobra   CapeCobra   Repfanaticlady29   Inuit  
 Member  Message

Stevez
View Profile

Puppies at night.

Hey, I recently bought a puppy (Staffordshire Bull Terrier), and as you know what puppies are like at night when they are by themselves. I.e. Consant crying and whining...
She only falls asleep when I am with her, whenever I leave she wakes up and cries.

...So I was wondeirng if, she stayed in my room with me, would that be ok? Or would she get to used to staying with a person at night?
Just untill she gets fully settled in.

09/18/10  05:48pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Stevez   In reference to Message Id: 2176109

Puppies at night.

Your decision.

If you start putting her in your bed or in a crate with you next to her at night now, you can never quit doing it.

She is suffering from anxieties of being alone. They may or may not ever go away, but your best chance to try to nip in the butt is now. All of the puppies I have ever had were put in a crate next to my bed or in the doorway where they could still see and scent me. If they cried, I ignored them, but it became really, really persistent, I’d just talk to them in a calm voice for a moment and then go quiet again.

I also put them in their crate for naps during the day, or to play with certain toys, or to eat and drink water. This desensetizes them to the fact it’s a crate and makes them recognize it more as a place for them when they want certain things. Also, it is never used for punishment. Negative association with a crate is bad news.

None of my dogs are crated after being housebroken. Two of them sleep on beds on the floor and two sleep in bed with me.

09/19/10  07:46am

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2176186

Puppies at night.

You have to remember that puppies are just like babies and need constant attention. I have raised all my pups allowing them to sleep in the room with me. To prevent potty messes i made them a pen near my bed where i could hang a hand down and pet them while i was laying down.

you should plan to get up at least once, twice is better, to tend to the pup and offer a potty break.

Play with the pup A LOT before bed and get it absolutly pooped. it will sleep for a good hour before it cries. As the puppy grows it will get less dependent and you can start weening it off your presence at night and begin either crate training or whatever you plan to have it do for the rest of its life.

many people will tell you that you will get a spoiled, emotionally attached dog by letting it sleep with you and giving in to its cries as a puppy. This is not true. None of my dogs have had seperation anxiety and i never let them cry for long. Just like a human baby, sometimes you gotta ignore them but more often then not they need to be tended to.

09/19/10  10:04am

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2176198

Puppies at night.

Our pup is an outdoor dog, so she isn’t allowed in the house. We do have goats though. We put her in a pen in the barn with the goats, and left her there. She just hated being here and eventually dug her way out 5 times in one night. We just gave up and let her sleep on the porch. Now she knows that we’re right inside and she sleeps on the porch (we also made her a bed on the porch) and waits for us to come out in the morning. We always go and tuck her in for the night and make sure she’s got everything she needs before going back inside. She falls asleep right away.

09/19/10  09:02pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2176283

Puppies at night.

If she’s an outdoor dog, when do you spend time with her?

09/20/10  12:28pm

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2176359

Puppies at night.

All day.... we spend all afternoon with her, and morning milking and evening milking and when we’re out doing chores around the farm. Her being an outdoor dog doesn’t mean we don’t go out and see her or anything, just that she doesn’t come in the house. She’s Kangal x Boerboel.

She’s the middle puppy.

09/20/10  11:22pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2176359

Puppies at night.

Quote:

If she’s an outdoor dog, when do you spend time with her?

When I was in my teens and we lived in the country we had an outside dog. He refused to come inside. We spent more time with him outside than we did inside. Some people do leave their dogs tied up outside and never spend time with them. That does not mean all outside dogs are treated that way.

09/22/10  03:28am

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2176688

Puppies at night.

Areli (our dog) isn’t tied up... she has free-run of our five acres. She visits both the goats and the ducks (which she chases mostly). She won’t come inside either.

BTW, on a VERY happy note! She came with fleas and they’ve finally gone (haha, with a thorough bath)!!! *cheers*

09/23/10  11:48pm

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2176688

Puppies at night.

Areli (our dog) isn’t tied up... she has free-run of our five acres. She visits both the goats and the ducks (which she chases mostly). She won’t come inside either.

BTW, on a VERY happy note! Areli came with fleas and they’ve finally gone (haha, with a thorough bath)!!! *cheers* She’s been eating herself alive to get them off. :( Poor girl! Finally relieved and can get a good night’s sleep!

09/23/10  11:50pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2177132

Puppies at night.

Quote:

BTW, on a VERY happy note! Areli came with fleas and they’ve finally gone (haha, with a thorough bath)!!! *cheers* She’s been eating herself alive to get them off. :( Poor girl! Finally relieved and can get a good night’s sleep!

Good. If you’re not already make sure you have her on a monthly flea preventative. They will come back if this isn’t done. I use Advantage on all of my animals. I’ve heard people have good results using Frontline too.

09/24/10  06:53pm

Inuit
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2177291

Puppies at night.

xero sleeps in my room and always has done, luckily she never cried but she is very attatched to me and follows me everywhere. abberline slept downstairs for the first night and cried all night, i completely ignored it but took her upstairs the next night so i could get some sleep. i moved her back downstairs once i could’nt carry her up and downstairs anymore (about 6 months old) and she’s never cried since although just like xero she follows me everywhere x

10/01/10  03:32pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area