Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

CapeCobra   LizaB2008   CapeCobra   CapeCobra   ReptileRodent   CapeCobra   ReptileRodent   CapeCobra   Keirax   LizaB2008   CapeCobra  
 Member  Message

CapeCobra
View Profile

Roundworms?

We found out our dear puppy has roundworms. *double sigh* She got carsick in the car today, and threw up. In her stomach foods, a long roundworm was wriggling around. Yuck. We had previously seen a couple small worms, but after reading a few things, found out that a few worms in dogs was normal. Now.... uh-huh. No rest until she’s cured! (which... is why I’m writing this at 10:30 PM, forgive any errors, please)

Looking at natural remedies to kill roundworms, I found DE. It supposedly cuts into the worms and dehyrates them (I won’t go into detail), then they’re flushed out. My question is, if the DE can cut the worms up, why doesn’t it cut into the dogs inner stomach and insides? Naturally, I’ve tried to find the answer on google (my hero), but cannot.

I appreciate any advice!

09/16/10  12:46am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2175688

Roundworms?

That actually sounds like it could be tape worm. Either way it is probably best that you pay a visit to your vet to have a stool sample tested for the correct treatment.

Best of wishes,
Beth

09/16/10  10:17pm

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2175800

Roundworms?

Well, why would it be a tape worm instead of a roundworm? Just wondering... We gave her DE this morning and for her lunch, and she’s already showing some signs of it working.

09/16/10  10:45pm

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2175808

Roundworms?

Oh and the worm we saw, was round, not flat. Tapeworms are flat, I thought.

09/16/10  10:46pm

ReptileRodent
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2175809

Roundworms?

If the worm was smooth, it could be a roundworm. If you can see individual segments on the worm, it is a tapeworm.

A vet is always the best option.

It usually takes three sessions of a deworming med to get rid of the worms, and the dog can still shed the worm eggs in their stool for weeks. Both roundworms and tapeworms are zoonotic (You can get them to). The worms could also be hookworms, which are zoonotic as well.

09/17/10  01:11am

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: ReptileRodent   In reference to Message Id: 2175828

Roundworms?

Oh right. The worms were smooth.

We’re only going to give her antibiotics as a last resort. This doesn’t mean we won’t do it, whatever it takes to get rid of the worms, we’ll do. But we’re trying natural remedies first. And she’s already had a shot (from when we got her) for common diseases and parasites, anyway.

09/17/10  03:36pm

ReptileRodent
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2175905

Roundworms?

If she only has A shot, she is not vaccinated against the worms. Just be careful how you handle the worms, especially if there are children in the area. They can easily get Roundworm by playing in the yard.

09/17/10  07:33pm

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: ReptileRodent   In reference to Message Id: 2175937

Roundworms?

I’m not sure what kind of shot this is. I just know it was general.

Yeah. Thanks for your help. :P

09/17/10  08:32pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2175952

Roundworms?

hope your dog gets better wish you the best. Be very careful about what you read on google alot of websites these days are made by people who really have no clue what they are talking about. As for natural remides dont give you dog anything you can not use safely. Its dangerous using many online "cures" for dogs for they can not eat most things, they have sinsitive stomaches that an easily be irrateted. There are many many types of worms, many different types of round and tapeworms as well. Another "cure" for worms (not round or tape) common worms is garlic whole cloves fed to your dog now i dont mean the whole plat just 1 or 2 small cloves shoved in their mouth whole. A vet visit would be the best for tape or round worms just to make sure even if you dont want to use the vets method of getting rid of them its best to know for sure b4 you treat for the wrong things. Only the tests can see if they are really gone from your dogs system some worms make their homes in the lining of the dog preventing us humans from knowing if they are truly out of their system. Hope your little one is safe and healthly and please use caution with the "natural" treatments you may use, it might be natural in a since but is it natural to your dog and its health. :) please keep us posted

09/18/10  01:19am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2175982

Roundworms?

The shot your puppy recieved was not a perminant vaccination that lasts year round like Parvo or rabies. It was just a dewormer to rid the pup of any worms it had at the time. Whether the worms be round worm, tape worm, or hook worm. You still need to take the dog to see the vet and have the issue taken care of. Natural remedies don’t always work. I would consult with you veterinarian and figure out what they think the best solution is. Worms are a serious matter. They almost killed one of my rescues a few years back. She had puppies and had tapeworm. Her puppies all had tapeworm and only 2 of 8 survived because they were so badly infested.

09/18/10  11:55am

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2176051

Roundworms?

LizaB2008: I’m so sorry for the lose of those puppies. :( That’s terrible.

Using DE as a wormer, though, has worked for tons of people. It’s working for us, also. We found, within 12 hours of giving her the DE, dead worms in her stool. She’s still cleaning out the worms. And, we went to town yesterday, and she got carsick and threw up, and no worms! I know that isn’t a sign that they’re all gone, but every other time she’s thrown up, she’s had worms in her fluids and stomach food.

Keirax: Oops, didn’t see your comment! XD Actually, humans can take DE for worms and just cleaning your system out. So far, the DE is working for Areli, and we’ve been taking it just in case. ;)

Oh, I hadn’t heard of using garlic. Have you tried it?

09/23/10  11:59pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area