Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Kitty4u8   Keirax   Kitty4u8   Keirax   Kitty4u8   Keirax   Kitty4u8  
 Member  Message

Kitty4u8
View Profile

Quick Question

Anyone with huskies or huskies mixes, like I, do yours fight? My year old pups got into a little fight and I broke it up before it got bad. Any advice on why they would fight? they have gotten into a few other very small short fights that my other smaller dogs gets involved in. But no one has gotten seriously hurt. My girl has just gotten a little nipped ear. Anyways I have two males and one female. Are the males trying to obtain dominance? Any suggestions would be great!
Rosie

08/22/10  03:22am

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Kitty4u8   In reference to Message Id: 2170859

Quick Question

Dogs are pack animals no matter what the type. They will fight amongst eachother to try and figure out their places in the pack, you need to step in and make sure YOU are the alpha in your pack or you will have massive problems in the future with many things including challenging you, fighting for food, toys,ect. Even new born pups fight in their own way, once their eyes open it gets worse its just a way for each pack member to learn their place, this is normal and in their blood ALL k9s do it at one point of their life. Its nothing to be to worried about but is something you need to address the correct way to make sure you are the alpha in all of their eyes. Make sure you follow the basic pack leader rules; displine, exercise, then love and affection. Only after you show them that you are top dog will they truly b happy. Make sure you stay calm when displining them for any reason, no high voices or repeating yourself. Do not reward bad behavior, no petting or trying to calm them after a fight this will just make them think they will recive praise for these actions. So when they are doing something bad such as fighting break it up ASAP never pull the dogs away and keep them away. Separate them for like 5-10 min and let them go back to eachother and make up. Watch the body signals. A straightened tail,hair on end, and trying to stand taller than the other are all signs of dominace and will start another fight, the dog that caused the attack if you know who it is put him on his back in a submissive state and allow the dog that was attacked to come up and sniff the other if they continue to fight even after pulling them away. This will help the dog that thinks they are the alpha lose their state of mind. Remember dogs feed off your emotions if you go in upset and scared they will pick up on it and it will only make the fight worse all actions around the dogs must b done in a calm assertive state of mind.Watch how they "play" with their toys as well shaking their toys violently from side to side may b cute but is really a bad behavior, this can cause issues with fighting later amongst your pack. Feeding your dogs one at a time will help limit the fights as well. Allow the least dominate dog 2 eat first, the one with no signs of agression to the rest of the pack. Once your pack knows you are the Alpha you will truly b happy, fights will b minimal to none and the all around mood will b better. Hope this helped you with your issue, wish you the best of luck
Keirax

08/22/10  04:14am

Kitty4u8
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2170862

Quick Question

Thank you so much for the great advise. Only my female for some reason knows I’m alpha. She listens to everything I say and never puts up a fight when she does something wrong. She is the least dominant the boys always attck her then start fighting each other. She is the one with the nipped ear. My oldest dog is 4-5 and he is a wire terrier mixed with doxin. So he is small compared to my husky mixes. He can walk under them, but when they were pups my oldest was dominant over them he would "pick" on them and "push" them around. So as they got older and bigger my male husky stared to "pick" and "push" back. And now they just fight. So I will really enforce my dominance and pack leadership.

Just a few more quick questions, when I walk them should I walk then as a pack? What can I do to stop them from pulling when walking? And why would they be dog to dog aggressive? The agression isn’t terrble they just bark and growl at other dogs.
Thanks again,
Rosie

08/22/10  02:29pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Kitty4u8   In reference to Message Id: 2170919

Quick Question

only walk them as a pack after you work out all the kinks with their behavior. Work with each dog one at a time, use your female as an example for the males, walk her with them one at a time remember dont reward bad behavior. Dog aggression is normal in a pack like yours, the growls and barks are warnings to the other animals that they think they are top dog. Although these signs are just warnings atm they need to b addressed asap to prevent further actions from your pack. Use the treat system to help train them to ignore the other dogs, walk with a pouch of chicken or turkey, every time you see another dog pull your dogs to the side, hold the treat out and repeat watch me. When they look at you reward them continue to reward them piece after piece after a while you can lessen how much chicken it takes to keep him from going after the other dog. A quick look at them and back to you is ok as long as they dont growl or lunge. If they continue to lunge at the other dog as soon as he refuses the treat pull him away from the other dog walk him away from the situation. Sit the dog down for a few min away from all dogs then try again. With work you will b able to break their behavior to other dogs. If you have a friend with a dog you can use their dog have them walk their dog for you over and over that way you dont have a stranger freaking out that your dog growled at theirs. Again make sure you do all of this in a calm assertive state of mind, dont show any signs of being angry or tensing because you think he might lunge. With work your pack will be able to walk together with no issues. AS for with the puling what kind of lead are you using for them? Try going and buying one of the walking leads, the harnesses that are designed to help prevent pulling. Nothing with sapping or shocking i find these methods cruel. They have harnesses that are just thin nylon ropes that tug at the dogs arms when they pull. It provides a slight discomfort but does not harm the dog. Other than that try the treat system as well, when they stay next to you for say 5secs say heal and reward with a treat. This will help enforce the good behavior. Hope this helped you with your issues. if you have any other questions you can email me if you want at or write me a personal letter on here. wish you the best of luck.

08/22/10  04:14pm

Kitty4u8
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2170943

Quick Question

Thank you so much for everything! I have lots of work to do. But it will be worth it. I will let you know how this works out and all. Again I thank you for all your help.
Rosie

08/22/10  09:08pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Kitty4u8   In reference to Message Id: 2171026

Quick Question

you are very welcome i hope this helps you with your pack please keep me updated with your progress and feel free to ask if you have any more questions

08/23/10  04:54am

Kitty4u8
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2171104

Quick Question

I will keep you updated and ask anymore questions I mite have.
Rosie

08/24/10  01:58am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area