Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

JessiM   Johnkorz   JessiM   Johnkorz   JessiM   Keirax   Keirax   Johnkorz   JessiM   ShadowAceD   Keirax   Keirax   Johnkorz   Keirax   Johnkorz   Keirax   Repfanaticlady29   Ghastly   JessiM   FutureVet123  
 Member  Message

JessiM
View Profile

An update on isis and her training

Well, poor uncle tom sent isis back to us a few days ago cause she destroyed something valuable and kept going after his little (fat) pug. We told him that she was wired and very rambunctious. and he just didnt want to deal with her hyper ness... sigh in fear of his pug getting hurt

so we are back to square one and i have been redoing the positive training once again with new treats...dun dun dun... (turkey bits) and with a much better response. plus i warned Isis’ real owner i(my bf’s sister} that i will be much more stern with her.... unlike i was before. (she kept on yelling at me that i was being mean to the dog when i sternly said "NO" to her trying to mouth my hands) so new rules and new ideas...

she has been sitting when i ask and laying down...so far and even has went on her first decent walk. lol

even though i got yelled at again by her mother..... sigh
this is why i stick to parrots lol

i have vacation from work for about a week ish so i am going to be working with her during my time at home. every day when im not working with my parrots or my reptiles.

fingers crossed

08/18/10  08:50pm

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2170208

Good luck.
Try a training leash even inside the house. Really shows them who’s in control.

Here’s our two playing!

08/20/10  08:32pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2170642

wish she would play nicely lol... since everyone has small dogs and she is the only brute lol

08/20/10  08:38pm

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2170645

What kind of dog is it and how did you end up with him when you rescue birds and reptiles?

08/20/10  08:42pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2170648

its my (soon to be)sister-in-law’s dog. she is a pit mix. and her "owner" never bothered with training her as a puppy and even now.

08/21/10  07:27pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2170786

"pitbulls" as they are called are breed to love their humans but to be animal agressive due to their bad fighting history, expecially with small dogs, they are very head strong, hyper, and need alot of time and traning if not worked with right away but they are very loving caring dogs when they have the correct traning. My little one i rescued gets along with our 3 cats, my bird, my lizards, my rabbit and chickens. He doesnt try to chase them or eat them...anymore. Being a Terrier breed pitbulls tend to have it in their blood to chase after smaller animals no matter what they are. I to was having issues training Tiberious not to eat the animals. I then found that the clicker traning worked wonders with all of his tricks and not eating the smaller animals. I would place him really close to one of the animals he wanted to eat (with my husbands help of course) and kept him looking at me with chicken or turkey treats...i repeated watch me and everytime he stayed looking at me for 5 secs i clicked and gave him a treat. with in a few days he went longer and longer without looking at the other animals and now he doesnt care that they are there, no chasing or eating just a lick here and there as he walks by. I really wish you the best in traning Isis and remember a calm assertive state of mind :D

08/22/10  04:27am

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2170786

"pitbulls" as they are called are breed to love their humans but to be animal agressive due to their bad fighting history, expecially with small dogs, they are very head strong, hyper, and need alot of time and traning if not worked with right away but they are very loving caring dogs when they have the correct traning. My little one i rescued gets along with our 3 cats, my bird, my lizards, my rabbit and chickens. He doesnt try to chase them or eat them...anymore. Being a Terrier breed pitbulls tend to have it in their blood to chase after smaller animals no matter what they are. I to was having issues training Tiberious not to eat the animals. I then found that the clicker traning worked wonders with all of his tricks and not eating the smaller animals. I would place him really close to one of the animals he wanted to eat (with my husbands help of course) and kept him looking at me with chicken or turkey treats...i repeated watch me and everytime he stayed looking at me for 5 secs i clicked and gave him a treat. with in a few days he went longer and longer without looking at the other animals and now he doesnt care that they are there, no chasing or eating just a lick here and there as he walks by. I really wish you the best in traning Isis and remember a calm assertive state of mind :D

08/22/10  04:27am

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2170864

I’m sure all the pit bull dog owners that read this are gonna hate me for saying "So why are pit bulls the highest on the list of HUMAN fatality attacks?"
You can’t just blame it on the owners.
Rottweilers had a bad rep for a while. So did dobermans. But in fact they haven’t had a fraction of the fatal human attacks. Do the research.
I love all dogs but the last one I’d own is a pit bull. Just my opinion.
Sorry if anyone is offended. (and I’m sure they will be!)

08/22/10  08:02pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2171009

most people who get bit or killed by a pit is from an abused dog that was beaten for fighting.
other than that pits that are raised in a positive and social environment are friendly

all the ones ive met are sweet hyper things.

08/22/10  09:31pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2171038

I’m going to briefly touch on this claim of most dog attack related deaths belong to "Pit Bulls". I have seen nothing to substantiate it, but I’ll play along for the moment.

Three years ago, a Weimaraner owner in the Carolinas (I want to say North) was attacked and killed by their Weimaraner. I doubt the majority of anyone outside of the Carolinas even heard about it. Same as I doubt anyone outside of Louisiana heard about the guy down the street from me who was attacked and killed by a pair of Labrador Retrievers a year ago. Want to know why? Because the media does not care if a dog the general population loves attacks someone. They do not care for that random encounter with what should be a completely "harmless" breed of dog ripping someone’s throat out or mutilating their kid.

No, what the media cares about is what people will listen to. If a "Pit Bull" attacks someone, even if that person encroached on that animal’s property or berated the dog by throwing rocks and sticks at it, the whole nation knows of it. Why? Because it is a stigma, something the general masses can hate and despise together because, generally, if one sheep runs in a certain direction, the rest follow.

German Shepherd Dogs are number one for reported bite cases. They also happen to be the 3rd most Popularly Owned Dog according to the AKC. Now, what is wrong with this statistic? Well, first off ... of course more people are going to be bitten by German Shepherds because a large population owns them. However, that aside ... if you go to your friend’s house and his little Pomeranian or Yorkie or Jack Russel Terrier bites you, are you going to report it to the police? Probably not. Why? Because it is a tiny dog and most people expect it from them. Plus, the bite from that dog will likely only bruise whereaas the bite from a German Shepherd Dog will probably maim flesh and break bones.

This logic pertains greatly to "Pit Bulls" because the moment someone is so much as growled at by one of those dogs, they can have Animal Control and Police at their door step without question. Simply because it has become its own Stigma.

Now, as for "Pit Bulls" being bred specifically for animal aggression, that cannot be proven and is, for now, false. Nothing in science has ever accurately proven that personality traits are passed on. They can be learned or mimicked, but just because your father sticks his tongue out of his mouth when he works on something taxing does not mean you will just because of genetics.

"Pit Bulls" can be trained for animal aggression, but they are not born with it. I have seen numerous "Pits" in homes with small animals without problem. In fact, the puppy I took in is likely of the "Pit Bull" variety and gets along with my Shih-Tzu better than she does my two larger dogs. I have seen others take their dogs to dog parks and never have such an issue with them no matter if there is a little Chihuahua there or a huge Great Pyrenese. If the dog is trained and socialized properly, it will not react negatively to smaller dogs.

Just as an added for instance, I had a Husky that never went after my Shih-Tzu or my mom’s cat despite numerous breeders telling me he would because he is a Husky. That is total BS.

Bottom line is that claiming any one breed is predisposed to violence because of breeding is ridiculous. Dogs are conditioned, just as people are conditioned, to the enviornment around them. They act and react accordingly.

08/22/10  10:35pm

Keirax
View Profile

Because of thetir history pitbulls are more likly to attack for many reasons. One of the most common reasons is the lack of edication amongst their owners. Pitbulls are as likely to attack a human as any other dog if not trained correctly. If the owner is not edicated on their dog correctly they dont recive what they need. Really in Britan pitbulls used to be called the nanny dogs because of their extream love for their owners and how trust worthy they were around small children. EVERY dog has the makings of a killer in them few dogs get that worked out of them with love, compation, respect. Most "pitbull" attacks are not even caused by a true pit bull breed, there are 26 other breeds people mistake as "pitbull terriers".
http://pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
try out this link tell me if you can find the true american pit bull terrier. Most who take this test answer wrong. Just because they are a beefy dog with croped ears does not make them a true pitbull. Pitbulls to ofter take the rap for attacks ever where. News and the media do nothing to help the matter, every big dog attack is a pitbull attack. Just recently there was a "pitbull" attack where a little girl was hurt and hospitalized when they zoomed up on the dog being took away it was no pitbull but a rot. Pitbulls are scape goats, they already have a bad rap so its easier to pin attacks on them...
In the past, the pit bull was one of the most trusted companions and was loved by most people. In England, where the breed is no longer allowed, the pit bull was also considered one of the safest dogs to have around children. Unfortunately, negative attention has been given to this breed in the past several years. There are two groups to blame for these negative events. One group is the media, who report attacks in the most sensational way possible. The other group that needs to shoulder some of the blame is dog breeders who overbreed their dogs, resulting in high levels of aggression. Owners who train their dogs harshly or who encourage aggressive behavior can also be blamed for negative attention on the pit bull breed.

Owners who do not purposely train their pit bulls to have a lot of agression can actually cause aggressive behavior. Many owners believe that a dog’s behavior is only influenced by how they are raised and not by any of the breed’s genetic characteristics. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Working breeds such as the pit bull need to have some activity such as obedience training or sports. If they are not given opportunities for activity, they may become bored and aggressive. For this reason, pit bulls are best suited to people with active lifetyles.

Quote:

In the past, the pit bull was one of the most trusted companions and was loved by most people. In England, where the breed is no longer allowed, the pit bull was also considered one of the safest dogs to have around children. Unfortunately, negative attention has been given to this breed in the past several years. There are two groups to blame for these negative events. One group is the media, who report attacks in the most sensational way possible. The other group that needs to shoulder some of the blame is dog breeders who overbreed their dogs, resulting in high levels of aggression. Owners who train their dogs harshly or who encourage aggressive behavior can also be blamed for negative attention on the pit bull breed.

Owners who do not purposely train their pit bulls to have a lot of agression can actually cause aggressive behavior. Many owners believe that a dog’s behavior is only influenced by how they are raised and not by any of the breed’s genetic characteristics. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Working breeds such as the pit bull need to have some activity such as obedience training or sports. If they are not given opportunities for activity, they may become bored and aggressive. For this reason, pit bulls are best suited to people with active lifetyles.

Quote:

Adult pit bulls may become agressive with other dogs without showing agression towards humans. This does not mean that pit bulls should not be allowed near other dogs or that they are too aggressive to have as pets. It just means that it takes a lot less for a pit bull to become aggressive toward another dog than it does for another breed to become aggressive. In the past, this breed was bred specifically for dog fighting. However, the breeders worked hard to produce dogs that were aggressive in fighting but not mean or unfriendly with humans. This was necessary because human trainers had to pull pit bulls apart when fighting had concluded and they needed to be sure that the dogs would not turn on them. If one of the pit bulls turned on one of the humans, the dog was put down. These pit bulls were allowed to live with their owners and were friendly towards adults and children alike. Aggression is common when other breeds are taken into consideration. Other aggressive dogs such as Rottweilers, Dobermans, and Malamutes can get into fights with pit bulls. This does not mean that pit bull owners need to stop enjoying activities with their dogs. It just means that the owners need to be responsible for their dogs and spend the time and money necessary for training their dogs properly. Many pit bulls are just as docile as beagles and golden retrievers, but it would be unfair of an owner to expect this from every working dog.

The American pit bull terrier is now known as an agile and versatile dog and is known for winning competitions in obedience, agility, tracking, weight pulls, and conformation. Famous pit pull terrier blood lines include Caver, Old Family Red Nose, Corvino, Colby, and Hammonds.

anyways this is off topic and has nothing to do with the orginal post...

08/23/10  04:53am

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2171103

sorry i forgot to add the most important part to my off topic answer

Quote:

The term pit bull is actually used to describe several dog breeds, which means that the term is often used incorrectly when referring to the bull terrier, bull mastiff, and American bulldog. This is because these breeds can have similar characteristics, making it easy for people to use the proper terms. The American Staffordshire terrier is related to the American pit bull terrier, so many enthusiasts call the American pit bull terrier the working class of this breed and the American Staffordshire terrier the show type of the breed.

heres the link for anyone that wants to read up more
http://americanpitbull.biz/

08/23/10  05:01am

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2171105

All I was trying to say is that you can never trust ANY dog 100%. If you do, you are a fool.
The old saying "He won’t bite." is from a person who is totally unaware of what an animal is capable of.
I hope nothing bad ever happens with any of your pets or someone elses pets to someone you know.
Like I said, I love dogs and all animals, but I wouldn’t trust either of my sweet rescued dogs alone in a room with a baby or someone they don’t know.
That’s just me talking.
Good luck to all of you and may God be watching over you, your guests, and your pets.

08/23/10  08:40pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2171270

i agree you can not ever trust an animal fully, to do so would b foolish, animals are wild at heart and as the saying goes you can take the animal out of the wild but you can never take the wild out of the animal :D wasnt trying to b mean i just get a bit touchy on the pit subject because of how misunderstood they are and the poeople who really dont even know what a pit is but they hate them... lol ya know :D have a great day

08/23/10  11:29pm

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2171304

I feel your pain!
Enjoy your pets while you can. (you’ll probably out live most of them)
Maybe not this girl! It’s been 18+ years already! LOL

08/24/10  09:00pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2171474

how cute what kind is she?

08/26/10  02:11am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Quote:

I’m sure all the pit bull dog owners that read this are gonna hate me for saying "So why are pit bulls the highest on the list of HUMAN fatality attacks?"
You can’t just blame it on the owners.
Rottweilers had a bad rep for a while. So did dobermans. But in fact they haven’t had a fraction of the fatal human attacks. Do the research.
I love all dogs but the last one I’d own is a pit bull. Just my opinion.
Sorry if anyone is offended. (and I’m sure they will be!)

Pit Bulls are the new "breed" to hate. You’ve already pointed that out in your previous post. Have you ever played any of the "identify the American Pit Bull Terrier" games floating around on the internet? I can guarantee not many people get it right the first time or even the third time. Where did you get your info proving that Pit Bulls (STILL not a breed) are responsible for the most human fatalities? These dogs get a bad rep from here say, the media, and crappy owners. End of story.

The last news article I saw about Pit Bulls attacking and killing a person was misrepresented and poorly researched by the media. This is not an uncommon occurrence. The dogs were actually purebred American Bulldogs . Not even one of the 3 breeds categorized as Pit Bulls.

Blame it on bad owners and over breeding (puppy mills and BYBs). No matter how you play it it’s not the dogs’ fault. If it weren’t for humans these dogs wouldn’t even exist. Human beings do a great job of creating something, screwing it up, and turning their backs on it.

Quote:

All I was trying to say is that you can never trust ANY dog 100%. If you do, you are a fool.
The old saying "He won’t bite." is from a person who is totally unaware of what an animal is capable of.
I hope nothing bad ever happens with any of your pets or someone elses pets to someone you know.
Like I said, I love dogs and all animals, but I wouldn’t trust either of my sweet rescued dogs alone in a room with a baby or someone they don’t know.
That’s just me talking.
Good luck to all of you and may God be watching over you, your guests, and your pets.

You did not say ANY dog. You specifically said pit bulls. You knew people were going to take issue with your statement, but you still posted it even though it was of no help to the OP. We’ve all heard the "owning pit bulls is bad juju". We didn’t need to hear it again. As far as I’m concerned breed discrimination is just as bad as racial profiling. It is true that you should never trust ANY dog 100%. That’s not just you talking though. That is any responsible dog owner. God bless you also and I hope we can have happier posts in the future.

Now to JessiM- I’m sorry your future sister-in-law is incapable of training her own dog. It’s great of you to try to help, but if she can’t be involved then it’ll never work. As soon as Isis leaves you she will regress right back to where she was before. Training is a bonding experience. If you are training her then she is bonding to YOU. If you don’t plan on keeping this dog and if she doesn’t plan on getting VERY involved with this dog’s training then the best thing to do would be to re-home her to somebody who can put in the work. Good luck with whatever happens and I wish the best for Isis.

08/26/10  04:20am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2171685

Well Repfanatic has placed a good post, i would post something also but im already boiling to the point my tops going to blow off, so i will spare ya’ll for now . . .

08/26/10  03:15pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2171775

this goes from an update post to a post about everyone’s veiws on pits and other dog breeds...

well i prefer rotties... if i ever choose a dog.. cause thats the only dog i was raised with... other than that i prefer to stick with my reptiles and parrots... i never had issues with them and never will.

i prefer an animal that i have to bond with and gain its trust than breaking it in or having to train it to obey me.

my iguana and I have a very strong bond and i never attempted to train her... she herself just chose to enjoy human company and enjoy the treats and petting. plus the amusment of kids hugging her.

she never showed a bit of aggression... and she is 7 years old.. and a rescue from an abusive past.

and its the same with all my pets....my pythons and my beardie... and my silly as heck parrots.

i just dont prefer mammals...or dogs in general.

08/26/10  03:46pm

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2171782

Quote:

I will agree that most dogs should never be given full trust. I also know that what I am about to post will receive much backlash. HOWEVER, I feel like I must do her (Peaches) justice.
We raised my dog from a 6 week old puppy. Granted she was an outside dog, yet a complete member of our family nonetheless. This dog took (unintentional) abuse like no other. I have 2 brothers and a sister, and let me tell you, we were rowdy children. Not obnoxious, just very energetic. Peaches was climbed over, drooled on, had her ears and tails pulled, and little clumps of fur pulled out from us trying to lean against her while learning to walk. (Also, I don’t want this to be interpreted as my parents didn’t teach us about respect to animals. They did. This was just our way of bonding with her I guess). I know she wasn’t perfect - her one small downfall was that she wasn’t a fan of other small dogs. However, in regards to people, she was THE most loving dog I have EVER met. It was almost as if the more you roughed up her fur or scolded her, the more she loved you. I work at a vet’s office, and I have met some very nice dogs, yet I will never ever trust them completely. I will say with full confidence til the end of my time that I would have trusted her with my life if need be. I also realize that there will never be another dog that holds the same level of trust. My point is that there may be rare exceptions. Do I trust her 100% overall? No, because she is dominant with small dogs. She has my trust with people, though, and I don’t consider myself a fool for believing that.
Just my two cents.
And also, to get back on subject, props to you for taking responsibility for Isis!!!
-Peaches and Jeni

08/26/10  10:17pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area