Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

JessiM   LizaB2008   JessiM   SnakeCharmers424   ReptileRodent   Ghastly   JessiM   ReptileRodent   JessiM   ReptileRodent   JessiM   ShadowAceD   JessiM   JessiM   Ghastly   JessiM   Waldorepticzone   Keirax  
 Member  Message

JessiM
View Profile

Frustrating.... need some help

My mother in law has gotten her daughter a puppy few months ago. But neither the she or the daughter has taken any interest in training her... now she is nearly a year old and is out of control.

The dog is a pit/german Shepard mix. (but they believe she is full pit) but everyone else is trying to tell them the dog is not...

but anyway, I am trying to train the dog myself... but i really think its the owners responsibility to be training her. the only reason i am training her is because i own exotics and there will be a baby in a few months... and i do not want her getting in after them or destroying anything.

and yes she is destructive and chews on everything, she will not listen when she is called. she will not lie down when told... she tries to run out the door everytime someone opens it....

i just started the training, and i would like some good tips.... we are doing positive reinforcement training...

any one out there with more tips would be greatful

thanks bunches

jess

this is Isis

08/03/10  10:15am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2166836

Have you though about seeing a behaviorist/dog trainer? That would be your best bet with a dog that age.

08/05/10  01:36pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2167289

I have mentioned that to my mother in law and her daughter. But they dont want to take the responsibility in doing so... all they say is the dog will grow out of it and it will learn to listen on its own.

none of the dogs they have are properly trained, and they can be terrible at times..

I cant afford to take their dog to a behavorist, i have my own pets to look after. But i will continue to push the subject with them.

08/05/10  06:24pm

SnakeCharmers424
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2167362

let me see if i can help a bit here. what kind of training aids are u using? harness, choke chain pinch collar Ect. are u treat training or just petting her an telling her she is a good girl. if she has pit in her which she doesnt really look like it too much. she is naturally going to be stubborn. if u can give me some more info i’ll see on what it is ur trying an what ur using i’ll see if i can give i a few tips. i have been rescuing bullys for a number of years now an have found a few methods that work so hopefully i can help u in some way. but the most important thing well 2 things are patience an u have to be very firm an in command she has to know u mean business.

08/08/10  01:32am

ReptileRodent
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2167362

That is very unfortunate that she thinks the dog will "grow out of it". Does your mother in law live with you? If not I would strongly consider telling her you would rather her not bring the dog with her if she comes to visit. I know how frustrating this can be. My uncle has an unruly dog with no training as well. It is not your responsibility to train this dog, although I know it is hard to not at least try.

I work at a Vet Clinic, and have got to see up close and personal how potentially dangerous it can be to have an untrained/unruly dog.

If she DOES live with you, it would of course be in your best interest to train the dog, but if the dog stays at another house, and your mother in law does NOT reinforce the training methods you are using, it will all be a waste of your time.

I wish you the best of luck with Isis. She is a gorgeous dog, and I would hate to see her life hindered by irresponsible owners.

08/08/10  01:34am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2166836

Id give pointers and advice but honestly if the dog isn’t with you nor are the owner and her daughter interested in training her it really is just a waste.

I would recommend in finding her a new home but with the dog not rightfully yours and its down to the
mother in law (stubborn annoying mules i find) to do this but if she thinks the dog will grow out of it then she as you know will have a shock when Isis is 80lbs+ and bouncing and having her own way. Rehoming her now would be best with her still being quite young it would be easier.

My mother in law also has a ill trained dog a Border Collie like yourself me and my partner have just found out we are having a baby and are due November 8th i have no poblems with his parents caring for our girl for a few hours but its the dog that worries me it jumps over the couch, coffee table, when you walk through the door doesn’t matter if you are carrying something or sitting down holding something its over you, doesn’t help she doesn’t walk him enough (a 2min walk to a field and back with a 5min game of fetch twice a day thats it) but i don’t visit and if i had my way the dog would be rid of and working on a farm somewhere, but i feel and fully understand your situation hun!!

08/08/10  05:18am

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2167835

her daughter lives with me and my hubby... at the moment untill we move back to pa. so the dog lives here with us. with the several others that are not mine.

i have used the clicker and treats, the choker collar and positive training and whoo knows what else.

she is stubbron really stubbron.. then again so is the person who is the owner.... so lazy... i think she would be a good dog if she was trained when a pup.

i knew she was not a pit the moment i saw her... and they no matter how badly i try to tell them they dont want to hear it... cause they believe the breeder even though they never seen the parents of the dog only a pic of the father.. which might not even have been her real father either.

anyway i will keep trying.

another problem with her is that when you try to pet her she tries to grab your hand with her mouth and chew on it.... and eats everything she sees... and tries to trip you

08/08/10  02:51pm

ReptileRodent
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2167901

I completely agree that now would be the best time to find Isis a new home. The hand grabbing and gnawing will become a much larger problem when she is older and more powerful. No matter what the breed is, that should not be allowed. What was your mother in law’s purpose in getting Isis? From the sound of it, she is not fit for a dog.

08/08/10  10:05pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: ReptileRodent   In reference to Message Id: 2168001

she spoils her daughter so when her daughter saw the little puppy at first she said noo.. but a moment later behold they come home with a puppy.. that puppy only because her daughter wanted it.

08/08/10  10:22pm

ReptileRodent
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2168003

How old is the daughter? I am sorry, I am not trying to intrude, I am just interested. If the daughter is old enough, she should be the one paying for training, if she wants this dog so badly.

08/08/10  11:09pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: ReptileRodent   In reference to Message Id: 2168016

she is turning 17,, and yes she should be paying for her dogs training other than buying things she shouldnt be buying or doing at her age....

08/08/10  11:28pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2168017

PetSmart offers eight week training courses for Puppy’s/Beginner’s and it’s only 109.00 USD, typically. That’s not a huge amount for eight weeks of training and nearly constant access with an accredited and certified trainer. The Bulldog/Pit/Plott Hound (mutt), I found by a dumpster just graduated from her class and it has helped substantially because she was a determined little butthead.

I am by no means attempting to offend you, but if clicker training, or whatever you have attempted thus far has not worked, it means you are not doing it right.

Unless a dog is being used for protection/police/search training, a choke collar, a prong collar or any collar of that nature is useless. Common training is not what you use those collars for because the messages are not given the same and either you or the dog will cause injury to the dog. The dog is stubborn because it has no true leader and respects no one in that house. It has no alpha, essentially.

Bottom line is this, while I feel for your plight, if you really want to help the dog and feel this is all neccessary, then you’re going to have to take the initiative to get it into a class. If you cannot or are unwilling to do that, then you need to either just deal with it or seek other alternatives. May sound harsh, but it’s the reality of it.

If your family refuses to do anything productive for that dog, find another home for it or else it’s going to end up dead in a shelter somewhere anyway because, eventually, that is exactly what they will do with it.

08/09/10  04:38pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2168177

I was raised around rotties my whole life and we always trained them with chokers and positive training... and no i am not doing it wrong. i just dont constantly inforce it everyday because i do not have that much time

I am not paying a cent out of my pocket to train this dog. i have told the owner what to do... and i am not training the dog no more.

thanks for all your advise everyone.

08/09/10  05:18pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2168187

plus their uncle will take over the training... since he has more time

08/09/10  07:24pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2168224

All the best for Isis, i have my fingers crossed for her! Forgot to state previously LOVE the photo with the one raised eye total charecter ^^

08/10/10  07:52am

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2168335

she is a total goof.... just has been to spoiled and babied to much...

08/10/10  01:52pm

Waldorepticzone
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2168383

it looks like she is winking

08/10/10  11:43pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2168383

its unfortunate her real owners do not care for her enough to train her, i can not stress it enough your dogs MUST br trained expecially if they are the "troubled" breeds. She will not grow out of t right now she thinks she is the alpha and you are all there to please her, it will not get better but only worse, at her age if you do not want to keep her as your own then rehoming her to a family that can and will provide the proper traning is best. A trained dog is a happy dog. Unfortunatly when she does not grow out of it and they relize that it will b to late, they will drop her off or try to sell her and she will end up in the pound or a shelter, because of her age and her breed she will sit and wait because of her lack of traning it will b a long wait b4 the shelter decides she can not b rehomed and sadly puts her down to make room for more adoptable dogs, or she will go to a non kill shelter and spend the rest of her life in a tiny cage sorrounded by the crys of all the other animals. Very crule to putr the animal threw, i would try to convince the owners to either train her or find her a more suitable home for the dogs safty and yours. now dont take that wrong i dont mean she will attack im just saying a dog that big doing what she wants will end up breaking and hurting alot in her little path lol. Shes a beatuiful dog, not full "pitbull" though i can tell you that lol i think you are right about the shepard mix you can see it in her face. Cute face adorable :D i wish you the best of luck with her and the owners.

08/22/10  04:42am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area