Dogs Forum

FutureVet123   Keirax   Keirax  
 Member  Message

FutureVet123
View Profile

My last rant. Just had to get this off my chest

So here’s the most recent craigslist post in my area:

Quote:

I visit this site frequently in the hopes of finding a second dog, and I am tired of the new, daily postings of Pit Bulls. This site should be re-named Craig’s Pit Bull List. To everyone with a Pit, society is saturated with this breed, and mainstream America doesn’t want them as pets, so stop breeding your backyard Pit females to your neighbor’s backyard Pit males. Shelters are full of this breed, and clearly people do not want to share their homes and lives with these dogs when there are so many nicer family breeds.

In my area, I don’t think there is any dog fighting, but breeding pits for looks is a status symbol among gangs and in the outskirts of the city. So many people post ads on craigslist these days saying "8 month old white pitbull, very rare, can’t keep anymore. $200 rehoming fee by tonight or I take him to the (kill) pound". That’s just a load of bull crap to me, because first off, I’m tired of people marketing their pits as "rare." That’s just plain idiocracy and stupidity. Actually, what’s stupid is the people who fall into those marketing traps. Second, don’t post an ad and expect to get an unrealistic rehoming fee for an extremely overpopulated (in my area, at least) breed in one night. It’s like a threat to me; ’if you don’t take my dog and pay me, I’ll take it to the pound.’ Our local pounds are FLOODING with pits. Most are no kill, but they have to keep turning dogs, especially highly adoptable ones, away because people keep backyard breeding their pits and loading them off on someone else.
I agreed with the ad above until they mentioned

Quote:

clearly people do not want to share their homes and lives with these dogs when there are so many nicer family breeds

. I’ll give it to them that pits are not in any way painted to be the perfect family pet - but there are so many wonderful pits that could be!!! Our local media does NOTHING to back that up though. They mention all dog attacks as "pits." Last year, I was finally ready to call the station and cry foul when they reported a "vicious, unprovoked pit bull attack" on a 17 year old boy. The picture of the dog popped up before it was euthanized and it looked like a LAB MIX!!! I do not in any way want to portray the lab, or any other breed, in a negative light to cast the attention away from pits. But come on!!! Then later, they interviewed the kids mom and she was crying into the microphone and was like "ohh, he’s a good kid, and our family loves animals. But when you got a dog that will attack someone just because he was walking through their yard and poked a stick at it to keep him away, that dog needs to be put to sleep." She pretty much admitted in the interview that it was provoked. Well, what do you expect when you cut through someone’s yard and poke a stick at the dog?
I know I’ve been on a lot of people’s cases and been very negative lately, but it just makes me so angry when all the letters to the editor I write don’t ever show up, or get criticized by the community.
Anyway, there’s my last rant. Hopefully it will be more positive from here.
-Peaches and Jeni

07/17/10  11:16am

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2163108

well that was upsetting. Its amazing how many people still think its the dogs fault and that these breeds are "bad" dogs. Really "pitbulls" really known as Staffordshire Bull Terriers with many many off breeds also known as the Staffie, Stafford, Staffy, Staff, and AM Stafford.

Quote:

Although individual differences in personality exist, common traits exist throughout the Staffords. Due to its breeding, the modern dog is known for its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends (and children in particular), its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog [1]. It has been said that "No breed is more loving with its family"[3] Because of their affinity for children, Staffordshire Bull Terriers are sometimes known as “Nanny Dogs” in England[4].

Yes they have a mean streak breed into them and yes there is an over population of this breed, but in no means is it this breeds fault. Even the AKC states

Quote:

The Am Staff is a people-oriented dog that thrives when he is made part of the family and given a job to do. Although friendly, this breed is loyal to his family and will protect them from any threat. His short coat is low-maintenance, but regular exercise and training is necessary.

With the correct training and the role of a "Pack Leader" these dogs are one of the best breeds, only in the wrong hands do they become "dangerous" dogs.

Quote:

the Bulldog used for bullbaiting in England was more active and longer-legged than the breed as we know it today. It is thought that the cross of this older Bulldog and a game terrier breed created the Staffordshire Terrier. Originally called the Bull-and-Terrier Dog, Half and Half or Pit Dog, it became known as the Staffordshire Bull Terrier in England. When accepted for AKC registration in 1936, the name changed to American Staffordshire Terrier to reflect the heavier American type and to distinguish them as separate breeds.

We created these dogs and they are in no means "monsters" or "bad" dogs. Indeed there are to many of this breed in pounds but there are many other breeds as well that are suffering due to over breeding and their owners own ignorance. And im not talking about all owners when i say this. I’m speaking of the ones who do not get their animals fixed with hopes of breeding, then when they do breed the animal they can not get rid of the puppies/kittens so they just drop them off or give them away for free. This opens up more mistakes for humans, giving a pet away for free may be done in the right intentions but people who may not be able to care for the animal or people who have horrible intentions for the animals wether its for baiting, fighting or mass breeding the dogs suffer. Where im getting at is it is not the breeds fault for being the way it is, we must remember that humans created these dogs to be "vicious" towards other dogs and sometimes even people. Yes there are over populating of this breed and many many others, yes they have a bad history but please keep it in mind who gave them that history. Everyone please have a great day and please please for your pets and all others spay and neuter your pets. :)

07/20/10  12:38am

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2163108

sorry about my last post Futurevet got off topic a bit i just got so upset, yes "pitbulls" have a history but as you said not every dog attack is from a "pitbull" even if our news says it is. I know more people being attacked by small ankle biters than "pitbulls". As you were saying any dog can be mean ANY dog can attack. Its all about the owners, the "pack leaders" if the dog is trained correctly and they have respect for humans there will most likely be no problems. But any dog can attack and most are taught to if someone "breaks" in the home or endangers the children. I agree at first i was with the add until the part you posted, i understand there are problems with this breed but please remember who made these dogs this way, humans, we breed them to be mean, to be hunters, to be lap dogs, we created the "mean" streak in these poor dogs and i do not believe there should be so much hostility to the "bad" breeds just because the history we helped create for these animals. Again im sorry if i came off wrong or sounded mean i just feel a lot of animals are misunderstood and marked as "bad" do to our actions. Murders, Rapists, child molesters get a second chance sometimes even more why cant these animals that love us unconditionally no matter how much they are beat get another chance to live happy? Please have a good night hope everyone the best :)

07/20/10  01:04am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area