Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

FutureVet123   KrazyKelli   FutureVet123   KrazyKelli   Ghastly   Repfanaticlady29   LizaB2008   Flamingflower   KrazyKelli   FutureVet123   KrazyKelli  
 Member  Message

FutureVet123
View Profile

What’s Your View on People Not Being Able to Afford Vet Care?

So, the title pretty much says it all, but I’m a member of some other animal forums and I go on craigslist to the pet section frequently too, and it drives me crazy when people ask what they should do for their pets that are seriously sick, but they can’t afford vet care. I’ve never seen anyone on this forum with that issue, which is a relief, but it just makes me so frustrated!!! I was watching Animal Planet (Animal Coups Houston) and they took a man to court and got custody of all of his pets because he told the judge that he had like 8 dogs but he couldn’t afford vet care or medicine, so he just let the ones with mange and cancer die slowly. If a dog has cancer, I won’t blame him because treatments are expensive in the first place and there’s not usually much you can do, but some of the dogs had parasites and other conditions that could have been treated effectively. It also bothers me when I see people posting on craigslist that they want a "free small dog..." and a bunch of picky criteria because they "don’t have the money for adoption fees." Well, it’s the same with the medical care issue. The bottom line is, if you can’t afford a dog, don’t get one. I realize a lot of people like to rescue dogs off of the street and stuff, but I think too many families don’t sit down and think about the cost of a dog before they purchase one (or get it for free). Like my dad always told me, "there’s no such thing as a free puppy." Dogs, and all animals alike, can make very loving, loyal family members, and you wouldn’t let a family member suffer because you couldn’t afford it. You’d work out a payment plan or something.
Well, there’s my little rant. Sorry you all had to hear that ;-)
Goodnight!!!
-Peaches and Jeni
and Peaches and Shiloh because I feel like they haven’t been on Repticzone in a while

07/12/10  09:56pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2162185

It depends entirely on the issue. Not all people who can’t afford vet care are evil and heartless.

Now yes, if someone has 12 dogs with severe mange and 27 cats with RI and kitty lukemia, then comes online and looks for help but says they can’t afford a vet, they should have someone take their animals and rectify the issue (with care, as they’re a hoarder in that case), and the person should seek help.

If this is a guy with four dogs and one has a huge tumor, another has cherry eye, and they’re all thin - and he can’t afford vet care, he should surrender a dog or two and go to the vet to find aid in some other means. Or he should sell off some stuff to make the money.

Many people have dvds, computers, televisions, game systems, and other forms of entertainment up the wazoo that they can either pawn or sell off to get the money for vet care.

However, there are also many Americans I know who, due to the economy and huge job-loss rate, loose their home and almost everything they own. They choose to live in their car or squat somewhere because they want to keep their old cat or dog (or young one, to keep from going insane themselves), and homeless shelters don’t allow them. You can’t in any way say they’re evil because they can’t at that moment afford health care, and it would be sick and unjust to say they should get rid of their animal because they had their home taken away. Luckily, there are shelters and orginizations out there that can help these homeless people get their animals shots, get them fixed, and some even donate food to these people if they ask for the help.

My brother went homeless last year and didn’t want to give up his two 10+ year old cats. He also had no money to fly them from Cali to Michigan for me to take care of them (and I didn’t have the hundreds of dollars for that, either). He instead ended up convincing his girlfriend to hide them in her apartment (even when animals were forbidden there) so he could go off to special training for a job for two months, then longer until he got the job and was paid enough to buy his own apartment again.

Even before that, while he was suffering under 3 part-time jobs, he didn’t have the money to take one of his cats to the vet when the cat had a urinary blockage. For this my parents lend him some cash - though the bill was ridiculous. Mew survived.

Another avenue people without money sometimes take: they do community work at a vet or shelter to help lessen the burden of the eventual thousand-dollar bill. Not everyone can do it, and not every vet offers the option. Just because you’re homeless doesn’t mean you’ve got tons of free time as well.

Most of the time when someone says "I can’t afford vet-care" on RZ, they’re looking for an easy way out. They’re most of the time a teenager and don’t want to sell off their stuff to keep their pet lizard alive. And sometimes they’re simply people who think that a dog bill is the same thing as a leopard gecko bill, which isn’t the case, or they don’t feel that a reptile is worth taking to a vet. Most of the time I get the classic, "There are no vets around me." For that I simply link to vets in their state.

The rare people you see on the mammalian forums - like the guy with a dog that has a broken limb - are usually people who are looking for an easy way out.

Then again you can never trust the internet when it comes to diagnosing problems with cats and dogs. Most e-people tend to over-exaggerate the problem or blow it way out of proportion. HE’S DIEING!!!! =O IF HE HAS A BUMP ON HIS GUM, HE’S GOT A TERRIBLE DISEASE! Then it ends up being superficial. Like when my corgi got a rather nasty wound on his paw pad. People either screamed at me about how he’s gotta go to a vet or that he’s going to die from septicemia and has some rare disease I’ve never heard of that causes paw wounds. I ended up putting antibiotics on his paw and taping a sock over it to keep him from licking it. It healed in under a week.

07/13/10  12:58pm

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2162300

You know krazykelli, I’m very glad you were the first person to post on this topic, because you brought up something I had honestly never considered. I think I forget that in this economy, even though my parents still have jobs and we have a roof over our heads, not everyone does. I don’t live in the parts of the country where people are getting laid off left and right; in fact, I don’t know of any place around here that has been letting people go because of the economy. I think I’m always the first person to judge someone, especially someone homeless or living off the streets. It never occurred to me that there are people who will do anything for their pets, even if that means sacrificing what most would consider daily essentials. When I see people hitchhiking down the highway with their dog by their side, my first reaction is to chastise the owners for forcing their dog to live that lifestyle. But maybe, in reality, they made an abundance of sacrifices to keep that dog, because it means the world to them. I think a bond that strong is worth keeping and not throwing away because of financial matters. I also began thinking about what I want to do with my life after high school graduation in the next two years, after I obtain an undergraduate’s, DVM certification (hopefully), and beyond. I think it is important for some vet out there to step up and say "no, I’m not in this for the money (my 3rd cousin or something like that owns a veterinary hospital in a big city and her fees are explosive), I’m in this because I want to change lives." and I want that person to be me.
So while I do remain frustrated with the "wanted: free dog because I can’t afford adoption fees" posts on Craigslist, next time I will not be so quick to judge and think of what you said. And thank you for your brother’s story, it really made me think as well. I hope that things are looking up for him and his cat.
Thanks,
-Peaches and Jeni

07/13/10  02:11pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2162319

It’s important to consider all possibilities, and it’s easier to see them as you gain experience and mature. There’s never a solid black and white on everything. And remember that what you consider wrong, terrible, or abusive could very easily be a situation you may have to face in the future.

What if you’re on your own, your long-loved dog gets mange, and you aren’t able to afford it? What will you do if no one else can help you afford it? And what if it’s parvo, or some type of eye problem, or a sprained leg? Would you easily let an eight-year-old dog you’ve owned since a puppy go to a shelter where it may be killed, or put it down because you can’t pay to fix a very simple problem that could have otherwise been treated? How long would you intend to wait and let the dog suffer a little, knowing that eventually you’ll get the money to treat it? These are problems people have to face daily. Most vets want all the money up front, and don’t want to help you even if you’re 20 bucks short. They don’t care if you’re poor, have children that you’re spending all your cash to feed and school, and that you’re behind on your bills.

I forgot to bring up in my last post that sometimes a person using the internet does not mean that they have a computer. Libraries and some social net-cafes let people access the internet for free. So someone can be poor and still use the internet. Though if they have an animal and something is wrong with it, they probably wouldn’t go to forums asking for help - since they wont be able to keep the link to the forum and may not be able to check back. Instead they’d ask other people in their area for tips or ideas. That’s how that whole ’pour motor-oil on your dog to cure mange’ tripe is still believed and passed along as ’advice’. Some people don’t know any better or aren’t taking advice from the right folks.

07/13/10  07:52pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2162319

I don’t think people should have pets if they can’t afford the basic health care and vet bills end of. When my Rott Nelly had her brain tumor and my Bullmastiff Zena had cancer i went through thick and thin to pay for them Nelly was never insured as she had her tumor from 12weeks old and Zena’s insurance wouldn’t cover the cancer.
Despite im in a well paid job to which i have been fighting to keep for the past year and a half due to new law legislations on working and dangerous dogs being bought in, it was tough i will admit but if you realy love your dogs they would cut back on basic necessities and treating themselves to things eg. hair, clothes, night/dinner out etc. heck i did and i got by i got Nelly on that operating table yeah many people have said to me it was a waste as she died 2 days after it and i paid my way to get Zena as high up on the waiting list as possible she never got her operation but i still played my part especially many people i have known with working dogs once they get ill they take them round back and do a "old yeller".

But no i understand there is economy money problems and i respect that but at the sametime i don’t see why not cut back on treating yourself many vets i have known will let you do a tab and you can pay them back when you can in installments evan once your pet has passed. But thats my view . . . like it or lump it ^^

07/14/10  04:40am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2162448

If you can’t afford vet care for your pet then you shouldn’t have them. End of story. I understand that many people are having issues because of the economy right now. I’m one of the many. I still have 4 cats, 2 dogs, 8 rats, and 11 snakes to care for. My dogs and cats are current on their shots. I recently spent $1,100 at the vet to treat a kidney infection in one of my cats. I haven’t had cable/ satellite for 2 years. I spend too much time clipping coupons and grocery shopping. I don’t have name brand products in my cupboards and fridge, but my dogs eat Taste of the Wild and my cats eat Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover’s Soul. My snakes never have to suffer skipped meals unless they do so by choice and my rats have plenty of toys in their cages and plenty of room to get around. If it ever comes to the point where I may not be able to afford emergency vet care for any of my animal family I will do what’s right and find them new homes where they can be cared for properly. I will not wait until the emergency happens and let my family suffer while I panic trying to figure out what can be done. I love all my animals almost as much as my child, but I will not make them suffer because I can’t afford to care for them and refuse to give them up. It is just that black and white for me.

07/14/10  08:58am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2162485

Of course there are also some vets (very few) that are willing to help people out because of the economy. There are people out there who once had damn good jobs, jobs that paid a descent amount of money and offered a descent amount of hours, while they have that job they settle down, get a house and animals knowing that if something happens they can afford it. Then they get laid off, unemployment only pays a percentage of what they made and they are just getting by. They love their animals just as we do, do you think if it happened to you and you were forced to make the choice of whether or not to get rid of your beloved pet? Of course some say they could do it if it came to that, but could they honestly? People seem to forget that some things are better said then done. Thats why i push myself to make money, I push myself to make it. I love my dog and the things I have and I don’t plan on losing them. Even if I have to work two part time jobs until I get through college. Hard, but I will do it to keep what I want in my life. People seem to forget that to get what you want in life you have to work for it. I know that being a vet tech isn’t going to pay as much as say a registered nurse, thats when I carry two jobs.

People who can not afford their pets should find a way to. Their animals shouldn’t have to suffer.

07/16/10  09:38am

Flamingflower
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2162956

As has been said multiple times throughout the entirety of these posts, most people get animals being able to pay for any care they require, then "hit the bumpy stretch"; they lose jobs, they have unexpected bills, someone dies, or just what have you. Some people even get an animal thinking it will never be ill or injured a day of its life - which is ignorance in that case, but I’m sure it happens all the same. I can understand if someone’s funds disappear and they don’t want to get rid of their pet, although the animal’s best interest should always be taken into consideration. Health issues often arise when animals grow old; and by this time, most owners have had them and bonded with them over a fair amount of time.

07/26/10  07:26am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Flamingflower   In reference to Message Id: 2165044

In line with this post, the ASPCA has been having a major issue in the southern US states due to the oil spill. Many people are losing their jobs or aren’t making nearly enough due to the fact that most of the fishing industry has been stopped, and tourism was hit hard. Most of these people are dumping their dogs off at shelters. The ASPCA is getting hundreds of dogs a day due to this.

Instead of going, "Well, it’s better that they get rid of their dog if they can’t take care of it", the ASPCA and local shelters are telling people to keep their dogs no matter what. They are even now giving people with hard-hit families down there free dog food if they agree to keep their animals, and driving around providing medical help to animals in need based off of donations.

07/26/10  12:39pm

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2165108

Also relating to the gulf spill and pet ownership, I was reading a newspaper article Saturday about two Louisiana kill shelters and one no kill shelter that have seen 10x more animals being surrendered in the past month than they did all of last year. While dropping them off, they said some owners cry and cry and are a mess because they’re having to make sacrifices (one person said they were forced to choose between their kids and their beloved dog after losing their job), and some are matter-of-fact about it. Some rescue groups, such as the one seen on Last Chance Highway on Animal Planet, are relocating the dogs from the south to as far as Maine, New York, and Connecticut, because the dogs are more adoptable there. They also explored the options of food banks for pets, and mentioned that Purina had already donated thousands of pounds of dog kibble, mostly in conjunction with a "stimulus package" per se that arranges for families who can prove they lost their jobs as fishermen or other positions in the fishing industry affected by the spill to receive free food in order to keep their pets out of already overcrowded shelters. I will admit that I did tear up when I read the story of one woman who had raised her 14 year old husky x lab mix, Keno, since he was a puppy adopted from a shelter. She said he’s been her best friend, and that "if you gave me $1,000,000 and said to get rid of the dog, no thanks, I’ll be broke, but I’ll be happy." That made me really think about how strong some people are connected to their pets. At the same time, some people are doing all they can, and some do have to choose between family and pets. In the end, I see it from both ends of the spectrum.
-Peaches and Jeni

07/27/10  07:25am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2165258

Wanted to add to your post, FutureVet, that of all those dogs amassing at the shelters in the lower states, only roughly 1/10 of them are being adopted or sent off to other states. The rest are being euthanized. Some shelters are conceding that many of the dogs being sent to those shelters aren’t even making the show-room floor and are being put down on the spot, simply because they have no room.

07/27/10  10:39am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area