Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Senshokukiba   Repfanaticlady29   Keirax   FutureVet123   Keirax  
 Member  Message

Senshokukiba
View Profile

People fear what they do not understand BS

I am ridiculously tired of seeing, "people fear what they do not understand", plastered all over threads, primarily those regarding pit bulls.

I am fearful of spiders. Does this mean that I do not understand them? No. I understand spiders perfectly. This will not stop me from fearing their "hairy" eight legs, their 6+ eyes, and creepy looking pincers. If one landed on me right now, I would probably scream and start dancing around my living room, tearing my clothes off.

When I was younger, I feared my dad. Does this mean I did not understand him? No. My dad physically and mentally abused me as a child. Having a better understanding of my father would not have made me any less fearful of him.

As I have stated before, my mom is fearful of pit bulls. Does this mean she does not understand them? No. She understands them quite well--enough to know that the average pit bull is untrained, and owned by a moronic, irresponsible owner.

Let me sum this up. People fear things that make them feel unsafe, apprehensive, insecure, anxious, or unsure.

Smith would roll over in his grave if he saw people tossing his quote around like this.

07/09/10  09:59pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Senshokukiba   In reference to Message Id: 2161499

I haven’t seen those words on any of the posts about pit bulls or anything else on here. People have this thing called the freedom of speech. It may not make sense to you, but it does to them. It’s not hurting anybody, so just let it be. People can say MUCH worse.

07/09/10  10:28pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Senshokukiba   In reference to Message Id: 2161499

I think you are misunderstanding the way that phrase is getting used for the "pitbulls". Personally i do use this saying when discussing "Pitbulls" and i am NOT in any way comparing it to being afraid of a spider. for 1 spiders do not have a rep for attack and killing their owners or others in the way these dogs do. What i ment by people fear what they do not understand is the fact that they do not understand that not EVERY "pitbull" is a blood thirsty killer or will snap at any moment because "its in their blood". This is what i mean by what they do not understand, dogs do not have it "in their blood" to kill and attack their humans in fact i know of many dog breeds including "pitbulls" that state they were breed to be lovable family dogs and thus love in "in their blood". The "fear" in which i was speaking of was not a common fear of spiders or drowning but the fear of an animal species because of a few misunderstandings that were caused by untrained owners. For one i have been attacked by a dog and i DO NOT blame the dog or feel the dog breed is or ever will be mean or blood thirsty. This attack did not change my mind about defending these animals i DO NOT "fear" these animals in the since that if i were walk up to another dog from this same breed i would NOT be worried the dog would attack me just because of a few attacks in the past. Again i believe you misunderstood the way this Phrase is used. Indeed people fear what makes them unsafe, apprehensive, insecure, anxious, or unsure but people who believe that ALL of a dog breed or All of an animal species is "viscous" and being nervous around that breed or animals because they are "fearing" an attack or expecting an attack. I think it depends on how this phrase is used idk maybe i should have just wrote all that out when i used that phrase in many of the "Pitbull" forums that i responded to for again i was not saying they "feared" it the way it was took. Anyways g2g hope you have a great night.

07/09/10  10:37pm

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2161512

I can definitely understand where both sides of the debate are coming from. Senso, with your examples, I think your argument makes perfect sense. However, as stated above, a fear of a person or spider and a fear of a dog are separate matters. Your father was someone you knew and trusted (well, I shouldn’t assume you trusted him but let’s just say that at least as a child you did), and he broke that trust by becoming abusive. I don’t know your father, and I don’t know if he has a controlling personality. Let’s just say that he is cordial with the "outside world"; i.e., your friends, his coworkers, people in the community, etc. So there is a destructive side that is exposed to you and a friendly and possibly deceiving side to the rest of the world (I am not by any means judging your family, only expanding off of what you have told me).
For Pit Bulls, almost all of the media surrounding them is negative. For us dog enthusiasts, we understand that with persistent training and dominance, we can retain the alpha position and that they can become friendly and easygoing pets. People fear what they do not understand when it comes to Pit Bulls because most people do not CARE to investigate into the positive aspect of owning a Pit Bull. Therefore, they create a negative association with the breed and fear it. If I was not particularly educated on a subject and led to believe that something had an overall negative association, I would rightly fear it as well. I have no idea if any of you understand what I just tried to communicate, and possibly I’m coming off as a complete idiot, but this is just my opinion. To make a long story short, I think you both make excellent arguments.
-Peaches and Jeni

07/10/10  11:19pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2161739

Thank you Futurevet you just said what i was trying to say lol i have a hard time explaining my views to others in a way they would understand. That was everything i was trying to say lol. anyways everyone have a great night

07/11/10  01:08am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area