Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Ghastly   Repfanaticlady29   Ghastly   LizaB2008   Repfanaticlady29   LizaB2008   Repfanaticlady29   LizaB2008   Repfanaticlady29   Keirax   Inuit   Ghastly  
 Member  Message

Ghastly
View Profile

What is this "nose" issue exactly?

What is this big malarky on a Bull breeds nose colour? Is it just a money scam or something with Red, Blue, Lilac/Lavender nose dogs. To me a dogs nose is meant to be how its meant to be im not going to pay extra because my dog has a red nose heck i wouldn’t pey extra if it was bloody Green.

But if someone could kindly explain to me would be great as its rather annoying me ^^

07/06/10  02:36pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2160782

The only people who call the dogs red nose, blue nose, etc. are BYBs that don’t know what they’re talking about and ill informed/educated owners. The nose color is just that. There’s nothing special about it and it DEFINITELY is not a breed. I hate it when people ask me if Lady is a blue nose. I say "She has a blue nose. She’s a dog; not a nose.". People need to educate themselves before they decide whether they like or dislike bully breeds. This is just one of the many uneducated comments I hear from people.

07/08/10  12:35am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2161075

Thank you very much ^^ just reading on a post here from another user about obtaining a "blue nose" Staffordshire Bull Terrier i got confused as here they are just Staffords only time you here about a colour is if they say i have a blue, white, brindle Staff or in my case a black brindle.
So it is just a money making scam as i thought, You made me chuckle on your post "i have a dog, not a nose" haha that made my day ^^ but yet so true.
I have heard about people in America that spend nearly 1k on a red, blue, lilac nose from apparent breeders people are bizarre and cease to amaze me!

Thanks again for clearing it up ^^

07/08/10  11:44am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2161118

No one is calling them a seperate breed lol. Breeders use their nose color to identify what color they are, thats about as simple as that gets. Just like many other breeds the Staffy has multiple colors. Some more common then others. And just like so many other breeds, people will pay more money for certain colors because they aren’t as common as say, brindle or black. Granted, some people do take it to the extream and say that they are seperate breeds, but it is just a way of identiying different colors in the dogs and nothing more. It’s just like with Great Danes, people will pay more for Harliquins and Blue Merels because they aren’t as common as black and fawn. People will pay more money for a blue or red pit bull because they aren’t as common as black, fawn and tri color.

07/08/10  12:21pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2161132

MANY people (dirty BYBs and inexperienced people) do call them a seperate breed. Red and blue pit bulls are not rare, or even less common. Also, the nose color does not always identify coat color. I have seen fawn red nose pit bulls and white blue nose pit bulls. It’s extremely stupid to describe any dog by its nose color. Especially if you are a breeder of these dogs.

07/08/10  01:52pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2161146

Well then I guess their all stupid then...I don’t, nor would I ever breed any of the bully breeds. Not worth it, there are already to many of them. What makes it worse is that they are not able to be papered. Harliquin and Blue Merel are not "rare" either, just not as common as fawn and black. Blue is rare.

07/09/10  10:42am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2161316

Not all APBT, Staffy, and SBT breeders put the nose color in the description....just crappy BYBs. And unfortunately there’s a lot of those. I agree that there are too many pit bull types. They make up most of the dogs at my local shelter, but the BYBs continue breeding because morons continue buying. You’re wrong about them not being able to be papered though. Staffies and SBTs can be AKC papered. APBTs can be ADBA and UKC papered. Most of the dogs being produced cannot be papered because their parents aren’t pure, or they didn’t come with papers, hence me calling these breeders crappy BYBs. APBTs come in many colors and none of them are less common than the other. blue dogs also tend to have varying severities of skin issues.

All in all, nose color does not always describe coat color and if you’re breeding for color then you’re breeding for the wrong reasons.

07/09/10  11:06am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2161324

I was talking about blue Great Danes, not bully breeds. Blue is probably one of the most common colors amongst the the bullies. I believe every breed has their crappy breeders who breed for all of the wrong reasons. There are certain rules that apply with colors in Great Danes. Harliquin should never be bred to another harliquin, but to a black or blue. Fawn should only be bred to fawn or brindle, same for brindle. Black and blue should only be bred to other black, blue and on occasion harliquin. Blue Merel should never be bred because they are almost always undersized and do not fit breed criteria. Since most of the Bully breeds do not have a pure enough bloodline to meet AKC standards they have no true standard, therefore there is no true form for breeders to breed for. This is why I believe they should not be bred. If anyone is going to breed, it should be to better the breed and produce outstanding products of the breed. I have seen so many undersized Great Danes it’s not funny. The movie Marmaduke will not help that any. After seeing that movie, everyone will want a Great Dane, this will make them a target for breeders who breed for money and not standard. Their sizes will shrink, they will develope more health issues etc.

Peoples stupidity only ruins the breeds.

07/09/10  02:22pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2161383

Quote:

Since most of the Bully breeds do not have a pure enough bloodline to meet AKC standards they have no true standard, therefore there is no true form for breeders to breed for. This is why I believe they should not be bred.

Not even sure what that’s supposed to mean since I’m pretty sure all bully breeds except the APBT are accepted into AKC. The ADBA and UKC aren’t crap registries either. You want to see a crap registry check out the CKC. Try looking at the lineage of most of the earlier American Staffordshire Terriers. I bet you’ll find APBTs in there. You can also register your APBT into the AKC as an AST.
Breed standard for the American Staffordshire Terrier.
Link
Breed standard for the American Pit Bull Terrier
Link
Here’s some more bully breeds that meet AKC standards
Boxer
Link
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
http://www.akc.org/breeds/staffordshire_bull_terrier/
Bull Terrier
http://www.akc.org/breeds/bull_terrier/
And really? The AKC is all that when they recognize a breed that can only reproduce via AI? I like French Bulldogs, but would never own one since they wouldn’t even exist if it weren’t for human intervention.
Link
I prefer mutts over purebred dogs since all my mutts have been more healthy than the purebred dogs I’ve owned. They also have more personality IMO.

07/09/10  03:57pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2161410

hello just making it clear Gastly that when i said i received a "blue nose" Staffordshire i was mearly trying to give you a mental picture of my dog considering "blue nose" the dogs tend to be blue and i could not post a picture at that time. I was not nor will i ever state that blue nose is a breed lol. Just clearing things up a bit

07/09/10  04:28pm

Inuit
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2161419

i’ve never heard of blue noses or red noses lol, my dogs get snow noses in the winter :D
as for coat colour i would’nt pay more for a particular colour, i have an ink marked NI and a white NI both cost me the same amount. i paid for happy healthy dogs :)

10/01/10  03:45pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Inuit   In reference to Message Id: 2178554

Haha yeah i have a snow/white nosed dog in the Winter too ^^

I agree as long as the dog is correct for its breed in temperament and appearance along with a good healthy ancestry record thats all that matters

10/02/10  11:01am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area